Conan makes a whoopsie

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I did notice that there was mention in that link to Jimmy Kimmel regarding Chinese people. I don't know what surprised me more: that a little child would say we should just kill all Chinese people or that it managed to make it onto the air....
This kid responded to this question:
The comment was made by a young boy during an unscripted segment called "Kids' Table," after Kimmel asked a roundtable of children how the United States should repay its $1.3 trillion debt to China. Both ABC and Kimmel have since apologized for the comment, and are no longer airing "Kids' Table."
I think racism should not be swept under the rug.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
This places changes a little with every new poster. It would even change without new posters over time. The posting habits of some people may not be to everyone's liking, however complaining about a thread title borders on the ridiculous.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
This places changes a little with every new poster. It would even change without new posters over time. The posting habits of some people may not be to everyone's liking, however complaining about a thread title borders on the ridiculous.

Really?

Actually, new blood is welcome. New blood that keeps on with their posts about race, religion and politics - you know, the topics that have been banned here since the site first began - are not.

It wasn't the title that bothered me. It was that, once again, an OTTer was deliberately ignoring the no race, no religion and no politics rule. Now, I realise you are a mod and so you will probably tell me to report posts. I do. And then I place the poster on my ignore list. Just as I am doing in this instance.

Seriously, no race, no religion and no politics is a pretty simple rule.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
The thread title isn't violating any rules though.

And great, if more people would use the ignore function less issues would arise :)

Bagpuss

Legend
I did notice that there was mention in that link to Jimmy Kimmel regarding Chinese people. I don't know what surprised me more: that a little child would say we should just kill all Chinese people or that it managed to make it onto the air....

I thought the Jimmy Kimmel show was live, and the Kids Table section was unscripted. That would explain how it got to air.

Zombie_Babies

First Post

I'm always surprised when people say they're surprised some kid said something silly. I mean, Bill Cosby had a show called 'Kids Say the Darndest Things' for a raeson, yanno? :p

It made it onto the air because most people understood it was totally harmless. The reason it was let go was precicely because it was ludicrous. The kid was being a ham for the camera as kids are wont to do. It's kind of the bit, I imagine. I've never watched Kimmel myself (not since The Man Show anyway) but I can take a good guess as to why they used kids in a segment like that.

I thought you were talking about Conan The Harbarian. I require all relevant information in the thread title.

Do I really need to explain which Conan I'm talking about especially considering the fact that Conan O'Brien has been in the news of late while Conan the Barbarian (an admittedly superior subject) has not? Really?

If this was a joke, well, I like it. :)

Really?

Actually, new blood is welcome. New blood that keeps on with their posts about race, religion and politics - you know, the topics that have been banned here since the site first began - are not.

It wasn't the title that bothered me. It was that, once again, an OTTer was deliberately ignoring the no race, no religion and no politics rule. Now, I realise you are a mod and so you will probably tell me to report posts. I do. And then I place the poster on my ignore list. Just as I am doing in this instance.

Seriously, no race, no religion and no politics is a pretty simple rule.

*ahem*

Know what bothers me? People who make baseless assumptions and then act all high and mighty about their position even though it's based upon a complete fabrication. I'm also bothered by people who want to talk about me but refuse to address me directly - either via PM or right here in the thread. Where I come from, that's poor form. Very poor form.

Anyhoo, as I'm the one who started the thread I'm pretty confident that I can address the why behind it a hell of a lot better than you can. And your why is completely wrong. Notice, if you will, that my post mentioned nothing about racism, religion or politics. Nothing at all, as a matter of fact. I avoided those topics where some others (*cough* you *cough*) chose not to. I was talking about the humor aspect and how today quite a few people don't understand the difference between something intended as a joke and something downright mean. I was hoping to start a conversation about that - humor as it's taken of late - because it's sort of tangentially related to the way some see us here. So yeah, you're wrong. Totes wrong.

It's unfortunate you chose to ignore me before actually talking to me because maybe you'd have seen how wrong your assumptions were. Wait ... no it isn't.

Remove ads