Confess your lack of taste

hafrogman

Adventurer
Another vote for Godzilla. And I really enjoy 'Dude Where's My Car?'.

On the other hand, I don't enjoy any of the Coen Brothers' movies, or any of Christopher Guests mockumentary type movies (although he was awesome as the six-fingered man).

I also have an odd propensity for enjoying the much maligned sequel over the classically acclaimed original. Grease 2 over Grease, The Sting 2 over The Sting, etc.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In my old "Confess and Brag" thread, I confessed that I have a voluminous music collection- mostly Metal, New Wave and Jazz- that includes such guilty pleasures as Europe, Bang Tango, ABBA and more than a few Mariah Carey and Paula Abdul CDs. (Yet none of the newer "divas" is anywhere close to my "Buy" list.)

I have no love for: Gone with the Wind, Moulin Rouge, or Fatal Attraction, despite their acclaim. The Godfather movies- well, most gangster movies- leave me cold.

OTOH, I have a taste for bad sci-fi and fantasy films not unlike how some people love super sour candies. While there are some that I will not watch more than once...or at all...some I can watch over and over. I can actually tell you why I think Plan 9 From Outer Space is not quite as bad as The Creeping Terror.

I always thought the Shannara books were better than many people give them credit for being, and won't touch the Goodkind "Wizard's" books. Or Harry Potter. JRRT I like and respect, but don't worship- LoTR is very creative, but not exactly well written. Not as well as some of the other giants of English lit, anyway.

Mercutio01

First Post
Popular movies that bored me/I don't like:
Titanic
The last two Pirates of the Caribbean movies
Any Bond movie with Roger Moore
most "romantic comedies"
Anything by Judd Apatow

Unpopular movies I liked:
Matrix: Revolutions
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Bringing Out the Dead
From Dusk til Dawn
Mallrats

Never Played/Seen/Read
GURPS
any fiction by Gary Gygax (although that's soon to be remedied)
Anything by George RR Martin or Robert Jordan

Misc
I don't use "hate" often, but I hate country music and rap/hip-hop.
I love pulp fiction novels and would gladly take the entire Barsoom series and anything by Howard or Lovecraft over any "important" literature. Full disclosure, I have an English Lit degree and a Master's in Creative Writing.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Big Brother style reality tv shows bore me enough to make me switch the channel in short order. In a similar vein, I am capable of watching pop star casting shows and the like... but only in the company of someone who likes them. (I.e., not on my own.)

85% of Anime.
Sturgeon's Law, mang.
I think Connery is not only not the best Bond, he's not even second best.
Similarly, I mildly dislike Bond movies in general. No hate or anything, just kinda meh on it.
Never Played/Seen/Read
GURPS
GURPS, popular? I wish. :(

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Frank Herbert's Dune and Jack Vance's The Dying Earth bored me to tears and I couldn't finish reading them.

Everyone who knows my tastes told me I would/should love the following shows and I could never really get into them: B5, Buffy/Angel, SG1.

I think the The Silmarillion is dry and dull and about as enjoyable as reading The Bible.

I think Eureka is a hell of a lot better show than the recent Battlestar Galactica. Not that I didn't like BG.

I watched every single episode of SciFi (SyFy ?)'s Flash Gordon and was disappointed when it was cancelled.

Remove ads