Cosmic Deity power levels in 5E...

dave2008

Legend
I understand you are saying my CRs don't correlate with those of WotCs...but in my opinion that's a good thing.
What I am asking is for you to be clear that what your doing it different in the stat block. Tag your monsters as "elite" or "paragon" or whatever. Then there is no confusion that you are doing something different. It is really as simple as that. For example, in my 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium in the D&D forum I have two types of monsters that bend the rules a bit. So a tag them "Champion" & "Elite." Like this:

1646485548947.png

The elite tag tells you clearly this is not a standard 5e stat block. Then you can go find out what the tag means and you understand the differences and can plan accordingly. Something like that is what I am suggesting.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Certainly you can do it and it might be fun for you, but it has no utility factor for a DM.

It would be pointless of me to fill the book with gods and monsters the players have no chance of defeating even though probably half of my monsters would likely give sub-20+ level PCs almost zero chance of victory (unless they become immortals themselves).
I am not suggestion that is something you should do for your book. I was just talking about what I like. A book you are trying to sell for people to play epic adventures should be filled with as many useful monsters as possible. Particularly given what 5e is starting with!

I also think there is value to it as DM. The 1e deities and demigods was filled with god & monsters that were supposed to be unbeatable (and they were to my group that never got past lvl 10), but it sparked my imagination as a DM. Just comparing different gods and monsters in that book alone was great fun. Not everything in the book needs to be combat material IMO.

dave2008

Legend
If you balance two monsters to the same power, then the one with Legendary Abilities will deal less damage (assuming it deals any damage with the Legendary Abilities I suppose you could argue).
IMO, your looking at it the wrong way. Let's look at two dragons of the same CR, one with LA and one without..

With LA:

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The dragon can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The dragon can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The dragon regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Detect.
Tail Attack.
Wing Attack (Costs 2 Actions).

Without LA:

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The dragon can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes six attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws and three with its tail. Alternately, it can use its detect action in place of one Tail attack or a Wing Attack in place of two tail attacks.

These are two dragons with the same attacks and the same CR. The only difference is how you chose to present how they spread those attacks throughout a round. All on turn, or some off turn. The LA do not weaken or change its attacks at all, they just spread the attacks around. That is what LA represents in monster / game design.

dave2008

Legend
Howdy leRedoutable! :)

I have a section on Gods vs. Nukes that outlines how much damage is needed to destroy cities, mountains, planets, galaxies etc.
I must admit, I am really looking forward to this section. I've always liked your ability to analysis and extrapolate.

What I am asking is for you to be clear that what your doing it different in the stat block. Tag your monsters as "elite" or "paragon" or whatever. Then there is no confusion that you are doing something different. It is really as simple as that. For example, in my 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium in the D&D forum I have two types of monsters that bend the rules a bit. So a tag them "Champion" & "Elite." Like this:

View attachment 152856

The elite tag tells you clearly this is not a standard 5e stat block. Then you can go find out what the tag means and you understand the differences and can plan accordingly. Something like that is what I am suggesting.

Something like an Elite tag might be fine, I'll consider it.

But I am not changing the CR and I am wary of giving more XP since that would suggest I consider the secondary factors of monster design relevant...which I don't.

I am not suggestion that is something you should do for your book. I was just talking about what I like. A book you are trying to sell for people to play epic adventures should be filled with as many useful monsters as possible. Particularly given what 5e is starting with!

Absolutely. 5E really needs a good high level monster book that is not simply a bunch of big bads like Demon Princes etc. Its possible some of the 2CGaming Epic books are great (?) but I won't be buying them out until after I finish my book.

I also think there is value to it as DM. The 1e deities and demigods was filled with god & monsters that were supposed to be unbeatable (and they were to my group that never got past lvl 10), but it sparked my imagination as a DM. Just comparing different gods and monsters in that book alone was great fun. Not everything in the book needs to be combat material IMO.

Hence Neutronium Golems. ;)

Remove ads