Cosmic Deity power levels in 5E...

That's probably fair, when WotC wrote the spell, they probably weren't accounting for planet-cracking golems that could obliterate even overdeities with a single punch.

Lack of Foresight on their part. :giggle:

Tbh how I'd handle it is to allow magical force effects to be destroyed by divine damage greater than 10 x the level of the effect that created it, or 100 x level for other damage types. This allows them to scale their defensive power somewhat, gives them a clear weakness, and doesn't mess with the observations of characters in lower levels of play, since they won't realistically hit one that hard unless they drop a building on it.

Also means a hypothetical pantheon threatened by one needs to be a bit more clever than simply throwing a 7th level spell at it and calling it a day. ;)

I'll maybe look at how tough a wall of iron is. Obviously a wall of force should be helluva tough, but not something that can stop a Tarrasque for more than a few rounds at best.

LunarSquid

Villager
So I have been watching this forum for a while now, and finally decided to make an account. You said earlier that you are planning on following BA by capping the 30 AC and bonuses to +20, but reading the Ascension book, it would be impossible to imagine anything sidereal, or even greater deity to have anything less. I know there is probably some formula or workaround you have found, but my excitement and curiosity for this product is just too much to hold! I have tried personally to convert your system to 5E, but no way I found worked fluently. (Multiplying dice, dividing stats, using bigger dice.)

So I have been watching this forum for a while now, and finally decided to make an account.

Howdy LunarSquid! :)

You said earlier that you are planning on following BA

BA? My memory is foggy - remind me what that is again?

by capping the 30 AC and bonuses to +20,

That's my current thinking on the matter.

That said, there are ways you can tangentially circumnavigate those limits without necessarily breaking them - and that's something I will be exploring.

but reading the Ascension book, it would be impossible to imagine anything sidereal, or even greater deity to have anything less.

I disagree. 1st edition had similar caps* and still had greater gods (and in our campaign Overgods as well).

*We slightly broke the AC cap in our game, but I don't think it was a necessary facet of the combat.

I know its difficult visualizing crazy stuff like Time Lords without simply expanding the numbers (and at some point I 'may' still do that).

But looking at my stat-blocks at the moment and I don't think AC plays a big part...and as such there is no need to expand the numbers unnecessarily - if we do that we will end up in the quicksand of 3rd edition.

I know there is probably some formula or workaround you have found,

;)

Its no big mystery, but I will sit on the details for now (in part because mechanics are 'malleable' and I may still tweak a few things before release).

but my excitement and curiosity for this product is just too much to hold!

I appreciate the excitement and curiosity. :giggle:

I'm actually excited to be working on an epic D&D book again and see how much we can 'push the envelope'. Today I was working on the magic system and came up with a fun 473rd-level spell (and as a point of reference you can "Death Star Laser" a planet with a 53rd-level spell).

Now if only I had 100 more people such as yourself I might get this darn thing funded.

I have tried personally to convert your system to 5E, but no way I found worked fluently. (Multiplying dice, dividing stats, using bigger dice.)

I ran into the same problems myself - 5th Edition at times seemed designed by a crazy person. But eventually I decoded the Matrix and was able to make sense of it - everything fell into place when I solved how to do nukes in 5E. Once I had that, everything fit like a jigsaw...the tiers of divinity, a really simple epic spell system, mega monster damage.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
Hey all,

work continues on the book (albeit had a really slow week there due to real life stuff, mainly work). But I have been mulling over how beings of each divine status would convert to 5E.

If we parallel the current Deities officially detailed:

Demigods = CR 20-23
Lesser = CR 24-26
Inter = CR 27-29...or up to 30
Greater = CR 30-33...or up to 35

If we continue that scale then:

Elder One = CR 34-36
Old One = CR 37-39
First One = CR 40-43
Demiurge Stage I = CR 44-46
Demiurge Stage II = CR 47-49
Demiurge Stage III = CR 50-53

Time Lord = CR 54-56...?
You could maybe say each additional Universe adds another CR at this point so Domedon-Doxomedon would be CR 61

I'm just wondering whether those CRs seem a bit low for the types of beings we want to represent. Any thoughts? I know there are already unofficial monsters for 5E out there at CR 50 and they are not for Demiurge level beings.

I'm thinking Time Lord should probably convert to CR 100 and then below that will be some type of skewed inverted pyramid.

Your scale seems reasonable to me except for the demiurge. IMO, there should only be one stage, and the CR should be infinite. These are beings that can simply think you out of existence, so CR is essentially meaningless for them.

I love Dr. Who, but I can't understand why he or his species would have such a high CR relative to gods.

Ahoy there beancounter! :)

Your scale seems reasonable to me except for the demiurge.

Wait until you see the details before making up your mind.

IMO, there should only be one stage, and the CR should be infinite.

There are four stages of Demiurge in this new book. The CR is not infinite but they will be able to look after themselves, don't worry they will be fine.

These are beings that can simply think you out of existence, so CR is essentially meaningless for them.

But I might have my Anti-Reality Armour, Rift Shield and Moebius Sword while packing a handful of Legendary Actions...or better. :p

I love Dr. Who, but I can't understand why he or his species would have such a high CR relative to gods.

The Time Lords I am referencing are not those of the Whoniverse, but rather a translation of Aeons from an out of print 70's occult book I picked up in a second hand book shop. Aeons are sentient universes born of beams 'of light' emanating from the Supreme Being.

Remove ads