D&D 5E Creating my first Warlock

So, I want to create a Warlock pc for the first time. I've looked over the class in the PHB, read some comments on the forums, and looked at the pertinent Unearthed Arcana. I'm not a power gamer or min/maxer, and my preference is not to multi-class, even if it means I don't max out my potential damage output. I do expect to contribute some offense, though, as this seems to be at least part of the point of the class.

Any suggestions? What spells/cantrips/pacts/invocations have you liked/disliked? Thanks in advance for your input!

Al2O3

Explorer
Get high Charisma (16 after racial modifiers at level 1), take Eldritch Blast and at level 2 agonizing blast. That should be enough to contribute reasonably in combat. Pick up one or two more spells for combat (hex seems popular) and that should not be a problem.

The rest depends on playstyle, group and story. I've played a warlock with the great old one doing lots of fun stuff outside combat encounters, flirting with another PC etc.

I tend to make Fiend Warlocks because their pacts can be fun to use for story. Also because Fireball and temporary hit points.

The cantrips found in SCAG (Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide) are nice of you want to go with Pact of the blade. Pact of the tome helps filling anything you miss in combat plus something fun.

Half-elf is good for combining good AC, good Charisma and skills for social encounters. Might make a good Fey pact story too.

Tiefling fits thematically and get a bunch of good spells for warlocks. Spreading out from the party and using darkness+devil's sight might be fun.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using EN World mobile app

Get high Charisma (16 after racial modifiers at level 1), take Eldritch Blast and at level 2 agonizing blast. That should be enough to contribute reasonably in combat. Pick up one or two more spells for combat (hex seems popular) and that should not be a problem.

The rest depends on playstyle, group and story. I've played a warlock with the great old one doing lots of fun stuff in combat encounters, flirting with another PC etc.

I tend to make Fiend Warlocks because their pacts can be fun to use for story. Also because Fireball and temporary hit points.

The cantrips found in SCAG (Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide) are nice of you want to go with Pact of the blade. Pact of the tome helps filling anything you miss in combat plus something fun.

Half-elf is good for combining good AC, good Charisma and skills for social encounters. Might make a good Fey pact story too.

Tiefling fits thematically and get a bunch of good spells for warlocks. Spreading out from the party and using darkness+devil's sight might be fun.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using EN World mobile app

Thanks! I forgot to look in SCAG for the cantrips. I'll check them out.

Gadget

Adventurer
It depends which pact boon you are interested in (tome, chain, blade). Many feel it is harder to make an effective pure (non-mulitclassed) blade 'lock due to the class and features not being very melee friendly. Take Eldritch Blast as one of your cantrips and at least one Invocation that modifies this Cantrip. Many view Hex as a necessary spell as well, though I think that is more debatable.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, I want to create a Warlock pc for the first time. I've looked over the class in the PHB, read some comments on the forums, and looked at the pertinent Unearthed Arcana. I'm not a power gamer or min/maxer, and my preference is not to multi-class, even if it means I don't max out my potential damage output. I do expect to contribute some offense, though, as this seems to be at least part of the point of the class.

Any suggestions? What spells/cantrips/pacts/invocations have you liked/disliked? Thanks in advance for your input!

Between the Hexblade Patron and the SCAG cantrips, any Pact Boon can be a melee warlock, which is cool, because I prefer the Tome.

If you want to be a spell blaster, there is nothing quite like Eldritch Blast. Agonizing Blast adds your Charisma mod to damage, Eldritch Spear increases the range to that of a longbow, more or less, and Punishing Blast (IIRC) lets you push targets 10ft.

Since you aren't a powergaming min/maxer like some of us, I don't recommend strongly focusing on boost EB, though. I'd say half or fewer of your Invocations should be focused on making Eldritch Blast more powerful. Instead, check out all the other ones, that do all kinds of more interesting things. I've played Warlocks without Agonizing Blast, and it's fine. I did take the other two I mentioned, and the push added more the party, IMO, than 4 more damage per attack would have. Some people will cry for my blood for saying that, though. :D

If you want a Warlock that summons and binds, check out the That Old Black Magic UA article, and look at not only the chain warlock, but also the Raven Queen Patron. And the Hexblade, actually, because it lets you animate your shadow. But the Raven Queen is centered on giving you a pet raven with magic powers.

Decide what the backstory of your pact is. Are you a Faustian bargainer? A ritual binder? A magical thief in over your head? The protégé of an Archfey?

Don't be afraid to reflavor things, but talk to your DM/group, as some DnD nerds hate reflavoring, and treat it as the exact same thing as homebrewing mechanical rules options.

For examples of what you can do with a warlock and some different flavor:

[sblock]I have a Warlock, Tome, Fey, who is a Satyr ritualist that uses ritual magic to bind otherworldly beings to to her will. Some of her spells are simply rituals that don't take long, or can be prepped ahead of time and then activated through a trinket, like Hex, while others are things where she has an arrangement with some minor being, and can call on it to create an effect, like with most of her conjurations.
She has no "Patron", as such, but she does have a strong RP bond with her mentor. I'm thinking about switching to Raven Queen pact, with some additional reflavoring, bc her mentor sends her messages and stuff with owls, and it's easy enough to reflavor a raven to an owl, and to explain that she has gained a greater understanding of the magic her mentor uses to control these owls, and has bound one of her own.

Which will be nice, because I have long wished that the Pact Boons could be doubled up by spending invocations or something, because the character really ought to have a pet, but the ritual stuff of the Tome lock just works too well, and it's mechanically my favorite pact boon.

I had another character who was kindof similar to her, but was a male human. He was more of a theif-explorer who had found a few items of power in his adventures, and cobbled together some usable magic out of them, and picked up various tricks and shortcuts, and had a habit of playing with forces he should know better than to play with. Sort of a John Constantine meets Indiana Jones character.

But the straight Warlock flavor can be fun, too.

I would strongly recommend detailing the exact nature of the patron and pact. If you are going Fey, check out the 4e Lady of The White Well, if you can find it online. It's a good example, story wise, of a specific patron. Nothing wrong with being more vague, but I'd at least pick something like "The Council of WInter" or "The Summer Court".

For Great Old Ones, if you don't dig the cthulu stuff so much, check out the flavor of the 4e Star Pact warlock. there is tons of it, and it shouldn't be too hard to find online. It isn't totally divorced from the cthulu style story, but I definitely prefer it to the basic story elements of the Great Old Ones in 5e. [/sblock]

The Invocations that give you use of a spell are the only way for you to get that spell without multiclassing, and they do increase you general spellcasting potential, so they are worth looking at.

Invocations like Armor of Shadows, which give you a spell at will, can be very useful. Mage armor lasts long enough that the at will part isn't that great, until you take into account how few spell slots you get.

Some effectively give you an inherent magical ability, like letting you cast Jump at will, or read all languages, or gain darkvision out to 120 feet. Those will depend on the campaign, how strong they are. I'd say pick ones that stand out to you. If you end up not liking them as much in play, you can change one out when you level.

Take more than a casual look at spells that last multiple hours. If you cast one, and keep it up, and take a short rest, it doesn't end just because you took a short rest, which means that you gain the spell slot back and the spell keeps going. this is balanced by the fact that you can only Concentrate on one spell at a time. Your DM might nix this, but they really shouldn't. It's RAW, and seems to be RAI, and it isn't overpowered at all, but there is a whole thread arguing about it, so...your mileage may vary.

Know right now that your Cantrips are the meat of the class. You will cantrip a lot. You can use invocations to reduce this by gaining "daily" spells, but no matter what you are going to only have a handful of spell slots between short rests. IME, that's plenty most adventuring days, but not all.

But the class is very fun, even when you are out of slots.

I just think there should be fun, evocative, ways to regain spell slots without resting, a few times per day. something ritualistic and appropriate to your patron. idk, that is a tangent, anyway.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It depends which pact boon you are interested in (tome, chain, blade). Many feel it is harder to make an effective pure (non-mulitclassed) blade 'lock due to the class and features not being very melee friendly. Take Eldritch Blast as one of your cantrips and at least one Invocation that modifies this Cantrip. Many view Hex as a necessary spell as well, though I think that is more debatable.

The problem I have with Blade Pact pre-UA, is that it costs invocations to be as effective as the other two are without invocations. This limits the Blade pact warlock's choices, and leaves them less free to take invocations that increase their spellcasting, or give them always on abilities that help outside of combat, like 120ft darkvision, or atwill Jump/Levitate/whatever.

My problem with it now, is that it still is underpowered before invocations, and the new invocations don't bring it up to a tomelock or chainlock using EB with the same number of invocations dedicated to making EB stronger. So, it's kind of a trap option, without some kind of houserule.

I mean, just making it a Bonus Action to change what your weapon is, and no action to summon it, would fix it, IMO. Or, keep it an Action to summon, Bonus to change it, and give Blade pact locks a fighting style.

Because they are competing with Eldritch Blast and three extra cantrips, or Eldritch Blast and a slightly improved Familiar.

Which means that a Tome lock can still take shillelagh and a couple SCAG melee cantrips, and be a better melee combatant than the Blade lock. and have a broader set of abilities than the blade pact. This is improved by the new invocations, but not enough, IMO.

Lanliss

Explorer
The problem I have with Blade Pact pre-UA, is that it costs invocations to be as effective as the other two are without invocations. This limits the Blade pact warlock's choices, and leaves them less free to take invocations that increase their spellcasting, or give them always on abilities that help outside of combat, like 120ft darkvision, or atwill Jump/Levitate/whatever.

My problem with it now, is that it still is underpowered before invocations, and the new invocations don't bring it up to a tomelock or chainlock using EB with the same number of invocations dedicated to making EB stronger. So, it's kind of a trap option, without some kind of houserule.

I mean, just making it a Bonus Action to change what your weapon is, and no action to summon it, would fix it, IMO. Or, keep it an Action to summon, Bonus to change it, and give Blade pact locks a fighting style.

Because they are competing with Eldritch Blast and three extra cantrips, or Eldritch Blast and a slightly improved Familiar.

Which means that a Tome lock can still take shillelagh and a couple SCAG melee cantrips, and be a better melee combatant than the Blade lock. and have a broader set of abilities than the blade pact. This is improved by the new invocations, but not enough, IMO.

My houserule fix for this is to give all of the Boons patron specific bonuses at the same level they get the Boon. I can make the Bladelock boon more powerful than the others, and it adds more Patron-specific flavor to the characters.

Taronkov

Explorer
So I just want to throw something out there... don't feel obligated to grab Eldritch Blast in any capacity. I'm on my third Warlock and I don't have it at all. I also don't feel like "I'm lagging behind" without it. Now currently I'm doing a bladelock and my range comes from darts. My cantrips are for utility as are most my spells. I'm having a blast not playing to most peoples expectations and honestly I feel most people lose out on the full potential of the class by deciding they are going to be Eldritch Spammers.

Current is fiend bladelock with polearm master, thirsting blade, one with shadows and armor of shadows. Spells include command, armor of agythis(sp?), misty step, lightning bolt (houserule, I use lightning instead of fire spells as per my patron), counterspell and hex. Cantrips are prestidigitation, green flame (lightning) blade and minor illusion. I may not be the most damaging warlock but I'm far from ineffective and I get tons of utility from spells like command.

Fundamentally have fun and don't feel pigeon holed into being an Eldritch Spammer. It's a great cantrip but don't feel like you can't play without it.

Edit: Also with a bladelock I wouldn't take green flame blade again. I'd rather get the attacks from Thirsting Blade and polearm master. I hadn't planned that far ahead when I built my character. Also I'm grabbing Invisibility to swap out Armor of Agythis. It's a fun spell but the party could better benefit from invisibility.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

A few things to consider.
1. Use variant human. There are too many good feats not to take especially since you can get 120ft super darkvision at level 2. Example feats include: inspiring leader, medium armor + shields, healer, skulker, observant...

2. If you have never played a Warlock try out eldritch blast your first go. That's the warlocks bread and butter. Sure you can make a melee warlock and it's fun and interesting but I'd recommend eldritch blast your first play through. That and hex is a potent combination and it requires minimal investment.

3. Don't consider spells like Armor of Agathys or hellish rebuke as a waste. They actually compare very comparably with hex.

4. Beyond that the benefits of most everything else are self explanatory.

Remove ads