D&D 5E Creating my first Warlock

I've played at least 3 bladelocks and really enjoyed them, although they are a bit weaker than the other pacts - you almost have to take your first level as fighter to shore up it's weaknesses.

IMHO, the BladeLock isn't meant to be on the front lines, and all this talk about multiclassing into fighter is just trying to turn the BladeLock into something it isn't supposed to be. With light armor and a high Charisma, BladeLocks can get a lot more synergy out of multiclassing into Rogue, or especially Swashbuckler if they're willing to put 3 levels into it. I had very good results with this, myself.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
IMHO, the BladeLock isn't meant to be on the front lines, and all this talk about multiclassing into fighter is just trying to turn the BladeLock into something it isn't supposed to be. With light armor and a high Charisma, BladeLocks can get a lot more synergy out of multiclassing into Rogue, or especially Swashbuckler if they're willing to put 3 levels into it. I had very good results with this, myself.

And I have had a lot of fun playing a tanklock. Strength based, heavy armor, heavy armor mastery, two-handed weapon, eventually great weapon master, armor of agathys and frequent use of Blade Ward.

You dare them to hit you and then punish them for it. It's a lot of fun, especially against hordes of minions.

It's "meant to be" whatever you care to make it.

Lanliss

Explorer

How is making them a stronger glass-cannon any different from spreading out their skill set? Multiclass Rogue for more damage, and more of the things you are good at, or multiclass fighter to get good at other things too. They both seem perfectly viable, and fun if played that way.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I've played at least 3 bladelocks and really enjoyed them, although they are a bit weaker than the other pacts - you almost have to take your first level as fighter to shore up it's weaknesses.

I've played 2, single classed, and 2 non blade Pact Warlocks that used melee weapons and the SCAG cantrips, and found that the Tome and chain melee Warlocks ran better. Went back and figured out some houserules for the blade Pact, and it helps. Thought about using a rogue MC, or even Monk, to make something weird and fun with bladepact.

The Blade Pact is fun, sure. No doubt. It just isn't as strong as the other two. I think it could be right up there with something as simple as letting the blade Pact warlock have a fighting style, and/or letting them switch the weapon into a different weapon as a bonus action.

doctorbadwolf

How is making them a stronger glass-cannon any different from spreading out their skill set? Multiclass Rogue for more damage, and more of the things you are good at, or multiclass fighter to get good at other things too. They both seem perfectly viable, and fun if played that way.

Or Paladin, for durability, and damage, and some different tricks than you get with rogue.

Or Bard, maybe valor or college of swords, for skills and support prowess, and more spellpower.

Or if you want something less traditional, try monk or Barbarian.

A Melee warlock can do some gnarly stuff with multiclassing.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I've played 2, single classed, and 2 non blade Pact Warlocks that used melee weapons and the SCAG cantrips, and found that the Tome and chain melee Warlocks ran better.

Would you mind explaining of you made your chain melee warlock? Its an interesting concept and I'd like to see how usable it is.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I have one Paladin/Tomelock that melees with shillelagh and a quarterstaff with shield and the Polearm Mastery feat. Worked out better than expected at low levels, and he has a fun little combo that doesn't fully work until level 11 or 12. More of an end-game build.

pdegan2814

First Post
So, I want to create a Warlock pc for the first time. I've looked over the class in the PHB, read some comments on the forums, and looked at the pertinent Unearthed Arcana. I'm not a power gamer or min/maxer, and my preference is not to multi-class, even if it means I don't max out my potential damage output. I do expect to contribute some offense, though, as this seems to be at least part of the point of the class.

Any suggestions? What spells/cantrips/pacts/invocations have you liked/disliked? Thanks in advance for your input!

As you can see from this thread, there are lots of ways to build a Warlock. So think about the type of character you want to be, look at the various abilities each type of Patron offers, and get a picture in your head of who your Warlock is, who their Patron is, and what the relationship with their Patron is like. Some can be friendly, some can be purely about mutual gain, some can be adversarial, you have lots of options.

When it comes to Eldritch Blast, I'm of the opinion that it's better to have it and not use it, than to skip it and regret doing so. Yes, it can be a little monotonous using it all the time in combat, but it's just SO darn effective for an at-will spell. Just make sure you have an alternate source of reliable damage in case your DM throws a Helmed Horror at you. :)

As for which Pact to choose, again look at what each one offers. Chain gives you a familiar, with a few extra goodies associated with it. Blade gives you some additional combat capability, but it means investing more in either Strength or Dexterity(and keep in mind that Warlocks only get light armor, you'll need to use multiclassing or feats for medium/heavy, or play a Mountain Dwarf). Tome is my favorite, as it's the most versatile. You can grab three cantrips from ANY class to round out your repertoire, and you can take an Invocation which will let you learn Ritual spells that you come upon in your journeys. Tomelocks can also crib partial benefits of the other two Pacts. Taking Shillelagh as one of your cantrips lets you use a quarterstaff as a melee weapon with Charisma as your attack stat. Combine it with Booming and/or Green-Flame Blade and you can be a pretty decent melee fighter. Taking the Ritual invocation lets you grab Find Familiar, you just won't have the extra bennies that the Chain Pact adds.

For Invocations, I'm partial to the ones that let you cast specific spells at-will, like Detect Magic, Levitate, Speak With Dead, etc. as they feel like your Warlock is simply gaining superpowers, not additional spells. :) Agonizing Blast is eventually a must-grab, but you can hold off in the early levels if you want, when you're only throwing one beam and the bonus is likely just +3. When you hit Level 5 and you're throwing multiple beams, likely with a +4 from the invocation, then it's definitely worth it. Repelling Blast can be fun, but isn't as essential. It works on ANY size creature, with no save to resist, which is definitely nice. Eldritch Spear is pretty meh, it's rare you'll be attacking someone that far away. Ascendant Step(Levitate at-will) can really come in handy. There's never a ledge out of reach, it's easier to post-up and play sniper during combat, plus you can use it like Feather Fall, assuming you have time and wherewithal to cast it before landing. But there are lots of choices for you, depending on how your adventures are going and what you want your character to be like.

For your actual spells, I've found Hex to be a bit overrated but it still has uses. Hold/Dominate/Invisibility/Fly/etc will compete for your Concentration. I will say I've had good luck with the 2nd-level Shatter. You don't get much in the way of AoE, and thunder damage is rarely resisted. And if you get your Warlock to a high enough level that you get your 7th-level Mystic Arcanum, I've got just one word for you. FORCECAGE. When you absolutely positively have to wreck the DM's day. Though to be fair, Finger Of Death and Plane Shift can be quite useful too, but Forcecage is just so fun. :)

And if you want to emphasize the RP elements of your character, make sure to grab one or more cantrips like Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Thaumaturgy, Druidcraft(if going Tome for the last two) that can add flavor to situations. Plus don't forget the Invocations to Disguise/Alter Self at-will. All of those can make for some interesting and fun social encounters.

Check with your DM if Unearthed Arcana content is going to be allowed, because some of the stuff in the recent Warlock/Wizard article is awesome, and may influence your decision about your Pact & Patron. I for one am dying to play an Archfey Bladelock and use that Moon Bow invocation. :)

If you're rolling up a Warlock for a campaign that will include character arcs for the party members, make sure to talk with your DM about your Warlock's backstory, their Patron etc. There is a TON of RP-potential when it comes to Warlocks, so dive in :)

doctorbadwolf

Would you mind explaining of you made your chain melee warlock? Its an interesting concept and I'd like to see how usable it is.

First, a quick note on the utility of various invocations:

If you spend all your time in dungeons, Eldritch Spear isn't very good.

If you fight outside, against things that fly, and your archers' long range tends to come up more than once an adventure, Eldritch Spear is great.

It basically makes you a magic longbow wielder, but better.

So, Chain Pact stab warlock.

So I changed my familiar's form a lot, but usually it was a falcon or a pseudodragon. I used Magic Initiate to get Shocking Grasp and Mage Hand from Sorcerer. Took Green Flame Blade and Eldritch Blast from Warlock, then took Booming Blade when I got a chance to take another cantrip.
Shocking Grasp is Touch, which means you can cast it through your familiar, which added a little versatility.

So, used Green Flame Blade with my Short Sword in melee, Eldritch Blast for long range, Acid Splash when it made sense to hit multiple enemies at a bit of range, and Shocking Grasp via my pet when that made sense. The Psuedo Dragon's Sting attack is a nice choice sometimes, too.

Used Invocations to boost durability and stealth, and the familiar usually used the Help action to give me or someone else Advantage.

She was a Forest Gnome, Fey Patron. I reflavored her EB as a magical bow attack.

baradtgnome

First Post
I am playing a fey chain warlock in Curse of Strahd. I only survived death house because I had fiendish vigor at low level. Since swapped it out.

For flexibility pay attention to your mix of concentration vs. Non-concentration spells. There is a limited number of combat spells which don't require concentration, have something to mix it up.

Spells which don't seem worth it at first level sometimes look different when you get to fifth level or higher. Armor of Agathys I am looking at you.

Sent from my P01MA using EN World mobile app

Remove ads