• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) D&D 2024 Core Rulebooks: 'We'll Still Be Working On Them In May'

Reiterating that the accidentally announced May date was incorrect.

406472835_728869535942848_6745743928406323951_n.jpg

In a recent Unearthed Arcana video, Jeremy Crawford at WotC revealed that the new core rulebooks would definitely not be available in May of this year, as reported in the (withdrawn) infographics released by WotC on social media and at last year's Pax Unplugged 2023 panel.

I just want to confirm with you and as well with everyone watching this video - that is definitely not the release date. That was never the release date. In fact, we will still be working on the books in May.

Congratulations on the weirdest argument yet for why not doing a tie-in is good, actually.
I think tie-ins are good if they have good timing and messaging. I wasn't making an argument to support not doing tie-ins, rather I just pointed out that is likely why we sometimes see parallel development between paper releases and some microtransaction-based digital releases because someone mentioned Idle Champions.

The pandemic really messed things up for Larian's release schedule, but they originally might have planned releasing BG3 on the heels of the Descent Into Avernus story as the next chapter in the setting timeline.

The Soloist

Adventurer
Lots of non-gaming expenses during spring and summer. A Fall release would be easier on my budget if I decided to buy 5.5 at all. Big IF so far. I would prefer to buy the 3 books core box set at Christmas 2024.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think tie-ins are good if they have good timing and messaging. I wasn't making an argument to support not doing tie-ins, rather I just pointed out that is likely why we sometimes see parallel development between paper releases and some microtransaction-based digital releases because someone mentioned Idle Champions.

The pandemic really messed things up for Larian's release schedule, but they originally might have planned releasing BG3 on the heels of the Descent Into Avernus story as the next chapter in the setting timeline.
I mean, the release was coordinated...for Early Access. The book came out at the same time as the game.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Keeping in mind that they announced 5th edition January of 2012 and the basic rules were available in July of 2014 (PHB on shelves August 2014), this is taking much longer to create than a full edition. They announced 5.5 in September of 2021 and at this point there's no release date in sight.
I nostalgically still remember getting the 2014 PHB at Gencon; would be nice if history repeated itself

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
"Working" as proof reading/getting the first test book from the printing facilities for last time checks and product quality? If the book is not content-closed by June, Christmas release will be a rush job.

0 day errata would be catastrophic for anniversary release
catastrophic but almost a certainty.

Remove ads

Remove ads