• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Blog. Should Fighters get multiple attacks?

Oni

First Post
I'm going to copy & paste my response to an earlier thread on pretty much this exact topic plus an extra thought or two.

I hope that higher level fighter types (and similarly martial classes) gain some extra attacks, but in a more controlled way that keeps both the number of them and the bonuses accrued to them under more control, as those were areas that the last couple of editions fell down IMHO. Also each attack shouldn't have different modifiers as that doesn't lend itself to expediency in play. I would also hope that they stay away from the 3e model of full attacks in which movement is traded for attacks as that makes combat less dynamic.

What I would like to see would be an arrangement similar to this. Say you get a move action and a standard action a turn (Actually I would prefer to do away with the move action and just assume that you can move X as part of your 1 "action" a turn, which would actually encompass many things. For example, instead of a move action to draw a potion and a standard to consume it, you action is use a potion and it assume that drawing it and what not are all part of the action.) Anyway, everyone gets their one action per turn, you can move and attack or move and try to trip someone, or move and try to flip a table, et c. The fighter after a certain point should be able to have extra attacks that exist outside of their one action per turn that are not explicitly actions themselves. That is to say that maybe a high level fighter would be able to move and attack as their action and then gain two extra attacks extra along the way as a bonus. Or instead they could use their action to move and perform whatever maneuver their devious mind could come up with, and then still gain the extra two attacks along the way. Whereas a Barbarian or Paladin of equal level might be able to perform one move + action and get one extra attack, since they have other stuff they might be able to do. Whereas a wizard might be able to, in addition to his movement, attack, maneuver, or cast a spell.

I think this would have the benefit of making combat very dynamic for fighters, and make them very appealing next to spellcasters, while minimizing combat bog. Also it makes fighters more different mechanically speaking from casters, and that is very important IMHO.

I'd rather not give extra attacks for two weapon fighting, and would rather the benefit be expressed in another way, like say sword and board has the obvious defensive benefit, two handed has the obvious damage benefit, two weapon might have an accuracy benefit since attacks are coming from two directions at once (as well as the ability to apply the enchantment of your choice from the two weapons you're using), and one handed weapon + free hand might give a bonus to maneuvers.

I am not fond of expressing the idea of multiple attacks as just increased damage, this type of mechanics has a very swingy feel to it. It would be fine for expressing some sort of big slow weapon, but not so much for something that is fast and nimble. While I realize there is already plenty of abstraction in D&D combat there is still a psychological aspect to how we interact with the game system. And making the damage based on a single attack per round and then emphasizing the swingy nature of it by increasing the damage of the attack would make the fighter feel more dependent on luck, and less of a competent warrior. Multiple attacks acts as a sort of dice pool and evens that out.

Kynn

Adventurer
I want something for fighters like:

Code:
Melee Basic Attack
Range: Melee weapon
Target: One creature

Fighter Level 7:
Target: One or two creatures

Fighter level 12:
Target: All adjacent enemies

Aramax

First Post
How about 1kind of fighter that just goes up in damage
another that gets 2 or 3 attacks w/the same bonus
and one that gets redonkulous wierd attacks
(also of course,every thing in between)
Ill tell ya,the more I think about the kitchensink/chinese menu aproah wizards is taking,the more I think it will work(its just going to be a MASSIVE PHB)

DonAdam

Explorer
Multi-attack against multiple opponents is fine.

Multi-attack against single opponents broke even the strict 4e math.

Let it go the way of the dodo. Even TWF could be "if you miss with primary, swing with secondary."

Caveat: for at-will options. X/encounter maneuvers to attack multiple times are okay if they're strictly policed and limited and balanced against other nova options. But even that is unlikely.

S

Sunseeker

I want something for fighters like:

Code:
Melee Basic Attack
Range: Melee weapon
Target: One creature

Fighter Level 7:
Target: One or two creatures

Fighter level 12:
Target: All adjacent enemies

Well that's great for a fighter who wades into numerous enemy ranks. Makes one-on-one fighting kinda lame though.

Destil

Explorer
Yeah, iterative attacks are one of the worst things in 3E. I'm pretty happy with 4E's one attack per round, unless you have something that lets you make more like two weapons or the ability to cleave from one opponent to the next.

Astrosicebear

First Post
WOTC has already mentioned that they are moving away from powers but may consider manuevers ala Book of Nine Swords. These were a test run for 4E but most agree that book is fighter gold. This also has the mentioned stances which are awesome and flavorfull.

As far as iterative attacks, I would handle them in two ways:

1: advanced class features like manuvers that allow multiple attacks ala powers

2: core class feature: COMBAT MASTERY: (5th level): Your skill in combat allows you to dispatch weaker enemies more efficiently and effectively. When fighting weaker enemies you may make additional attacks. When attacking an enemy that has Hit Dice less than or equal to 1/4 your level you may make a second attack without penalty. At 10th level you may make a second attack against enemies that have hit dice less than or equal to 1/3 your level. At 15th level you may make three attacks against qualifying enemies. At 20th you may take these extra attacks against enemies less than or equal to 1/2 your level.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Since I've already vented my spleen on this a couple of times in earlier topics, I won't repeat the details here. As far as I'm concerned, multiple attacks against the same target should die in a fire, for all characters, all the time, absolutely no exceptions. It always breaks somewhere. :eek:

How you then handle single attacks against multiple opponents can be done in a variety of ways.

hanez

First Post
Personally I think fighters having multiple attacks is awesome. Great way to make the fighter powerful, and not have to lower spellcasters. I think the fighter should have feats and abilities to get more or less (e.g. only attack once but boost your to hit, or attack twice as much but lower your to hit etc)

Remove ads