• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[d20 Apocalypse] Recruiting Closed

ThWatcher

First Post
I'm beginning to lean away from the child psychic because the loss of an Int. point can cause the permanent loss of 4 to 6, 7, or more skill points till the character reaches age 12 and gets the Int. point back. Thereafter, you gain like normal, but still can't get the lost skill points. That's a permanent penalty to the character and I'm not sure a free Wild Talent feat counters it.

So I'm thinking I'll go with the charismatic hero at adult age.

ThWatcher

First Post
There is a Naval Taining Facility in Chicago of this earth. I've been there.

But maybe not in your alternate earth. It's just a point of info.

Here's my first draft/

[SBLOCK]
Code:
[B]Janice Cardinal:[/B] XXXX
[B]Class:[/B] Charismatic / 3
[B]Occupation:[/B] Military, Hide, Move Silently
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Female

[B]Str:[/B] 11 +0 ( 3p.)     [B]Level:[/B] 1      [B]XP:[/B] 6000
[B]Dex:[/B] 10 +0 ( 2p.)     [B]BAB:[/B] +1       [B]HP:[/B] 8 (1d6+2)
[B]Con:[/B] 14 +2 ( 6p.)     [B]Grapple:[/B] +1   [B]Dmg Red:[/B] 0/8
[B]Int:[/B] 10 +0 ( 2p.)     [B]Speed:[/B] 30'    [B]Spell Res:[/B] 0
[B]Wis:[/B] 12 +1 ( 4p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +0      [B]Spell Save:[/B] +0
[B]Cha:[/B] 15 +2 ( 8p.)     [B]AcP:[/B] +5       [B]Spell Fail:[/B] 0%

[B]Base  Armor  Def   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Defence:[/B]            10    +0    +0    +0    +0    +0    +0    10
[B]Touch:[/B]  10              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 10

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                     2     +0    +0      +2
[B]Ref:[/B]                      2     +0    +0      +2
[B]Will:[/B]                     1     +0    +0      +1

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
no weapons

[B]Languages:[/B] English

[B]Talents:[/B] Fast-Talk; Charm, men;

[B]Feats:[/B] Simple Weapon Prof., Personal Firearms Proficiency, Armor Prof. 
light, Point Blank Shot, Trustworthy, Precise Shot

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 42      [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 6/3
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Balance             Dex*      
Bluff               Cha    6     2           8
Climb               Str*                     0
Computer Use        Int                      0
Concentration       Con          2           2
Craft (Structural)  Int                      0
Craft (Visual Art)  Int                      0
Craft (Writing)     Int                      0
Diplomacy           Cha    6     2  +2Trust 10
Disable Device {p}  Int                      0
Disguise            Cha          2           2
Drive               Dex*                     0
Escape Artist       Dex*   6                 6
Forgery             Int                      0
Gamble              Wis          1           1
Gather Information  Cha          2  +2Trust  4
Hide          Perm  Dex*   6                 6
Intimidate          Cha          2           2
Jump                Str*                     0
Know.(street wise)  Int    1                 1
Listen              Wis    6     1           7
Move Silently Perm  Dex*   1                 1
Navigate            Int                      0
Perform (Act)       Cha          2           2
Perform (Dance)     Cha          2           2
Perform(Keyboards)  Cha          2           2
Perform(Percussion) Cha          2           2
Perform (Sing)      Cha          2           2
Perform (Standup)   Cha    2     2           4
Perform(Str. Inst.) Cha          2           2
Perform(Wind Inst.) Cha          2           2
Profession          Wis          1           1
Research            Int                      0
Ride                Dex                      0    
Search              Int    1                 1     
Sense Motive        Wis          1           1     
Slieght of hand     Dex    6                 6
Spot                Wis    1     1           2
Survival            Wis          1           1
Swim                Str**                    0         
Treat Injury        Wis          1           1

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
Boots, Pink with furry lining .5lb
Nylons
Underwear, thong
Pants, Fuzzy, Pink
  Wallet
    Driver's License
    Military ID
    3 credit cards
bra
Shirt, Fuzzy, Pink
Coat, Anchle length, Fuzzy, Pink
  Glock 20                     1lb
  4 15-rnd Clips, full        ~1lb
Purse, Fuzzy, Pink
  Keys to car

If she's on assignment, then she's wearing an:
Undercover Vest                3lb

[B]Total Weight:[/B]XXlb      [B]Wealth:[/B] x

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]                38    76   115   115    575
Appearance:
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 118lb
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blonde
Skin: Fair/light

Background: Janice works as an undercover agent for Navy, Army, Air Force, etc. I'll flesh her out more once I know that the basic concept is acceptable.
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OK, I've started working on a Charismatic / Telepath character.
First question: the Wild Talent, as a bonus feat for being a child/first level, do I understand right that it is a bonus in addition to the normal stating feats?
With that, I could then take the telepath class as the third level gain after game start, right?

The Wild Talent feat is a bonus feat you gain on top of everything else. It is meant to offset the ability-score penalties you suffer for being a child. On top of the fact that you gain a 0-level psionic power three times per day, there would also be in-character benefits. But I leave that to you.

The earliest you could take the telepath or battle mind classes would be 4th level, regardless of your starting age.

The other way to get to Telepath is to gain a level after game start and take the Wild Talent and then on the second level after game start, I could take the Telepath class because I would then meet the minimum requirements.

I'm working on both until I find out the answer to my first question.

Yes, you could begin at 2nd level, then take Wild Talent as your 3rd level feat. Then upon reaching 4th level, take telepath or battle mind (provided you fulfill the other prerequisites).

ThWatcher

First Post
Yea but it's like 30 miles north of downtown. It wouldn't even be included in the outermost blast radius.

I'll take a look at your character sometime in the next 48 hours.

Sorry. I wasn't trying to imply that the base was in the blast area.
Rather, I was trying to say that your statement of military personnel on leave (or off duty) being in the area is quite plausible.

ThWatcher

First Post
[SBLOCK]
Code:
[B]Janice Cardinal:[/B] XXXX
[B]Class:[/B] Charismatic / 1
[B]Occupation:[/B] None?? (The child is too young to have had an occupation.)
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Female

Talks in Purple.

[B]Str:[/B] 11 +0 ( 3p.) [ 8 -1]    [B]Level:[/B] 1      [B]XP:[/B] 0
[B]Dex:[/B] 10 +0 ( 2p.) [ 9 -1]    [B]BAB:[/B] +0       [B]HP:[/B] 6 (1d6+0)
[B]Con:[/B] 14 +2 ( 6p.) [11  0]    [B]Grapple:[/B] +0   [B]Dmg Red:[/B] 3/6
[B]Int:[/B] 10 +0 ( 2p.) [ 9 -1]    [B]Speed:[/B] 30'    [B]Spell Res:[/B] 0
[B]Wis:[/B] 12 +1 ( 4p.) [11  0]    [B]Init:[/B] +0      [B]Spell Save:[/B] +0
[B]Cha:[/B] 15 +2 ( 8p.) [14 +2]    [B]AcP:[/B] +5       [B]Spell Fail:[/B] 0%

[B]Base  Armor  Def   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Defence:[/B]        10    +0    +0    +0    +0    +0    +0    10
[B]Touch:[/B]  10              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 10

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                 1     +0    +0      +1
[B]Ref:[/B]                  1     +0    +0      +1
[B]Will:[/B]                 0     +0    +0      +0

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Knife                        -1     1d4-1      19-20 X2

[B]Languages:[/B] English

[B]Talents:[/B] Fast-Talk, Lucid Dreaming

[B]Feats:[/B] Simple Weapon Prof., Nimble, Stealthy, Wild Talent(Far Hand 3x/day)

[B]Skill Points:[/B] (7-1)x4=24      [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 4/2
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Balance             Dex*      
Bluff               Cha    3     2           6
Climb               Str*                     0
Computer Use        Int                      0
Concentration       Con          2           2
Craft (Structural)  Int                      0
Craft (Visual Art)  Int                      0
Craft (Writing)     Int                      0
Diplomacy           Cha    3     2           6
Disguise            Cha    2     2           2
Drive               Dex*                     0
Escape Artist       Dex*   3        +2Nim    6
Forgery             Int                      0
Gamble              Wis          1           1
Gather Information  Cha          2           2
Hide                Dex*   3        +2Ste    6
Intimidate          Cha          2           2
Jump                Str*                     0
Know.(street wise)  Int    1                 1
Listen              Wis    3     1           5
Move Silently       Dex*   1        +2Ste    3
Navigate            Int                      0
Perform (Act)       Cha          2           2
Perform (Dance)     Cha          2           2
Perform(Keyboards)  Cha          2           2
Perform(Percussion) Cha          2           2
Perform (Sing)      Cha          2           2
Perform (Standup)   Cha          2           2
Perform(Str. Inst.) Cha          2           2
Perform(Wind Inst.) Cha          2           2
Profession          Wis          1           1
Research            Int                      0
Ride                Dex                      0    
Search              Int    1                 1     
Sense Motive        Wis          1           1     
Slieght of hand     Dex    3       +2Nim     6      
Spot                Wis    1     1           2
Survival            Wis          1           1
Swim                Str**                    0         
Treat Injury        Wis          1           1

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
Snowboots
pants, dirty brown, 
           2 pair, both worn
Shirts, dirty brown, 
           2 pair, both worn
Ski cap
Mittens, winter
Coat, winter, knee length
Knife                            1lb

[B]Total Weight:[/B]~6lb      [B]Money:[/B] 0

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]                26    53    80    80    400

Appearance:
Birthday2009 Nov. 4
Height: 5'1"
Weight: 88lb
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blonde
Skin: Fair/light

She looks like a poor, dirty, kid living on the streets. Bundled the way she is, one can't tell if she is a boy or a girl.

Background: She is a run-away orphan. Orphaned early in life, she has spent most of her life in foster homes. Some had been good and others not so good. The last one was the worst.
She had become headstrong a couple of years back. This last home cut her hair short, about 2 inches left and when the physical abuse started, she wasted no time crying about it. She ran away.
That was one year ago and she has no regrets. Well, maybe a little, during the cold winters.
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Sorry. I wasn't trying to imply that the base was in the blast area.
Rather, I was trying to say that your statement of military personnel on leave (or off duty) being in the area is quite plausible.

Maybe I wasn't clear. The issue was only relevant to determine whether or not they could begin the game with a firearm in their possession. I was trying to say there weren't any bases close enough to the blast site such that it would be reasonable enough to consider them on duty and packing heat. Hence, if players wanted to play military, they are considered off duty (based in the naval base or elsewhere) or on leave (could be any US base, even foreign military if desired).

I really like the child character. I was hoping someone would pick that option. (And you don't have to list every skill. Just the ones you have ranks in or some miscellaneous modifier is fine. Everything else is simply an ability check.) A couple notes:
-You will gain the benefits of an occupation (must be chosen from d20 Apocalypse instead of d20 Modern once you reach the minimum age for your chosen occupation (depends on your chosen occupation). So you may want to note your character's birth date.
-All psychic children have a touch of lavender in their eyes. It is hardly noticeable and most people classify it as blue, but it is the primary way governments identify psychic children. Psychics who develop psionic ability after Day 0 also manifest the same discoloration in their eyes.
-All psychic children are born with psychic power and use their powers innately, as if through instinct. They are distinct from those who develop psychic powers after the blast in this way. Before Day 0, there were no psychics who were not born with psionic ability.
-Before the blast, all psychic children typically lost their psychic power around the age of 13, along with the eye discoloration. Modern science has yet to explain why.
-The knowledge of the existence of psychic children is heavily repressed by most world governments (Knowledge [behavioral sciences] DC 35). The U.N. Security Council unilaterally voted in secret that such children should be monitored and any psychic "outbreaks" be hushed up until their powers fade. There has not been a serious psychic incident in over sixty years.
-All child psychics are capable of lucid dreaming, a state of sleep in which they are aware that they are asleep and dreaming. Sometimes they are able to waken themselves once they realize they are dreaming or manipulate the dream in some way. Doing either requires a successful Will save (DC 15).
-The dreams of child psychics have proven in the past to be oracular, hence the government's interest in them as a potential warning signal against incoming attack. Terrible disasters have apparently been prevented several times because of the aid of child psychics although they have missed just as many, such as 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, and the explosion of Air Force One in midair in 2014 killing then President Barack Obama.

ThWatcher

First Post
Maybe I wasn't clear. The issue was only relevant to determine whether or not they could begin the game with a firearm in their possession. I was trying to say there weren't any bases close enough to the blast site such that it would be reasonable enough to consider them on duty and packing heat. Hence, if players wanted to play military, they are considered off duty (based in the naval base or elsewhere) or on leave (could be any US base, even foreign military if desired).
OK
I really like the child character. I was hoping someone would pick that option. (And you don't have to list every skill. Just the ones you have ranks in or some miscellaneous modifier is fine. Everything else is simply an ability check.)
I didn't list every skill. Just the ones I can use. It helps me to know which ones I can use, trained or untrained. The ones I can't use aren't listed. (If I have any there that I shouldn't be able to use, then, yes, I need to remove them.)
A couple notes:
-You will gain the benefits of an occupation (must be chosen from d20 Apocalypse instead of d20 Modern once you reach the minimum age for your chosen occupation (depends on your chosen occupation). So you may want to note your character's birth date.
OK, I'll set her 11th birthday for tomorrow. That means she'll be 12 in a year and a day.
-All psychic children have a touch of lavender in their eyes. It is hardly noticeable and most people classify it as blue, but it is the primary way governments identify psychic children. Psychics who develop psionic ability after Day 0 also manifest the same discoloration in their eyes.
-All psychic children are born with psychic power and use their powers innately, as if through instinct. They are distinct from those who develop psychic powers after the blast in this way. Before Day 0, there were no psychics who were not born with psionic ability.
What does "...use their powers innately, as if through instinct." mean in game terms? Or will I just have to find out as it happens?

-Before the blast, all psychic children typically lost their psychic power around the age of 13, along with the eye discoloration. Modern science has yet to explain why.
-The knowledge of the existence of psychic children is heavily repressed by most world governments (Knowledge [behavioral sciences] DC 35). The U.N. Security Council unilaterally voted in secret that such children should be monitored and any psychic "outbreaks" be hushed up until their powers fade. There has not been a serious psychic incident in over sixty years.
-All child psychics are capable of lucid dreaming, a state of sleep in which they are aware that they are asleep and dreaming. Sometimes they are able to waken themselves once they realize they are dreaming or manipulate the dream in some way. Doing either requires a successful Will save (DC 15).
-The dreams of child psychics have proven in the past to be oracular, hence the government's interest in them as a potential warning signal against incoming attack. Terrible disasters have apparently been prevented several times because of the aid of child psychics although they have missed just as many, such as 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, and the explosion of Air Force One in midair in 2014 killing then President Barack Obama.

Do I need to make any corrections to the character?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
What does "...use their powers innately, as if through instinct." mean in game terms? Or will I just have to find out as it happens?

It means she knew how to use them like a fawn knows how to walk. One day, probably as a very young toddler, she just reached out for something and it came to her through telekinetic force (you chose far hand I saw). She's been able to do it ever since. Whether she has ever been "discovered" and by whom, is up to you.

Do I need to make any corrections to the character?

Not really. You might want to note the bit about lucid dreaming since it has an actual game mechanic.

Remove ads