• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Modern: What Would you change part II

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I just wanted to say that I picked this up, and it looks very interesting. It will actually take me a bit to go through all of this, but it looks like you have another winner!

--Steve

Vigilance

Explorer
SteveC said:
I just wanted to say that I picked this up, and it looks very interesting. It will actually take me a bit to go through all of this, but it looks like you have another winner!

--Steve

Thanks, I hope you like it!

Chuck

Dr. Halflight

First Post
Charles, I really am pleased & impressed by Modern20. I like it at least as well Star Wars Saga Ed & its exactly what I wanted from True20. Any plans to for including Magic or Psionics in the near future? Right now i'm looking closesly at either Psychic's Handbook or SW Saga's powers.

The Dude

First Post
I am currently running a bastardization of Blood & Relics and Project Javelin, as well as a superheroes vs. terrorism and pirates-in-space games. Just as soon as I can house rule a few things, I will be converting all three of my tables over.

Vigilance

Explorer
Dr. Halflight said:
Charles, I really am pleased & impressed by Modern20. I like it at least as well Star Wars Saga Ed & its exactly what I wanted from True20. Any plans to for including Magic or Psionics in the near future? Right now i'm looking closesly at either Psychic's Handbook or SW Saga's powers.

Thanks a lot!

On Magic, actually, a couple of my colleagues, David Jarvis and David Gallant have dibs on that and I think their ideas are really rocking.

Dr. Halflight

First Post
Vigilance said:
Thanks a lot!

On Magic, actually, a couple of my colleagues, David Jarvis and David Gallant have dibs on that and I think their ideas are really rocking.

I can't wait to see what they work up. I hope sales indicate more Modern20 Soon!

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
I'm a little late to the party but here's my 2 cents for setting.

Go with something like Bureau 13 / Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense / Section 9 (Jackie Chan Adventures), etc. Then you can toss in all sorts of bizarre stuff and not be wrong like the Hellboy movie suggested that Area 51 was actually in New Jersey. Jackie Chan Adventures especially had pretty much everything but the kitchen sink - ninjas, demons, vampires, the Monkey King, demon ninjas, time travel, Luchadors, sci fi, spy stuff, chi wizards, etc.

Naturally there has to be at least 1 bad guy group conspiring against the good guys (mentioned above). But also have some neutral parties like a version of the Knights Templar defending the Grail and other religious artifacts, not necessarily Judeo-Christian even, or any number of conspiracy groups that believe the world will end on December 21, 2012 (Mayan Calender), either working to prevent it or bring it sooner. For something less fantastic, there are others that want to bring about the New World Order or plain want to rule the world like a James Bond villain or heck, Dr. Drakken or even Duff "World's Deadliest Golfer" Killigan. Ok, maybe not him.

Great. I just muddied the water. Shoot for something middle of the road with options to tweak it into something lighthearted like Jackie Chan Adventures or grimmer like Millenium / X-Files. Ok, I suppose Dark*Matter could be modified.

Vigilance

Explorer
Well, my first impulse was to go with settings that would each contain crunch useful to generic campaigns in general.

Someone on my blog suggested I do toolkits, GURPs style. So, Horror20, Military20 and so forth.

I'm honestly debating that.

Mokona

First Post
Vigilance said:
Someone on my blog suggested I do toolkits, GURPs style.
D20 Wizards of the Coast already used this approach (D20 Apocalypse, D20 Cyberscape). Which means it should work fine.

Perhaps you could differentiate your products by slicing the toolkits a little more narrowly. Would it work financially to separate cybernetics from VRNet and also from droids? Furthermore, the cybernetics appropriate to Ninjas & Superspies are different than those for Rifts style far-future games.

Remove ads