• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DCC #7 The Secret of Smuggler's Cove (full)

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
@ Mark - I would allow up to say 1,000gp (that's 10% right?) of your starting cash to be used for crafting. You need to make the rolls (wait till I get something like an RG up - thinking of not having one for soemthing so short) as you may fail and have to "spend" more in the long run.

Also if anyone wishes to make a years worth(12 rolls) of Profession and or Craft checks - I will allow that as money on hand. So you can't spend it on starting equipment but may very well add it to left over and spend it at the village this adventure takes place in.

To make it worthwhile to take those skills if it will help round out your character.

@ rangerjohn - I think it is still a cool concept to have as you would normally be playing it to get to 10th lvl. A few magic missiles (2 per casting) could go a long way to helping loosen up your adversary before melee. You get Combat Casting for free so touch spells (Touch of Gracelessness?!?) would be a big help as well. Use it on any character you think has Weapon Finesse - they lose AC and to hit bonuses.

HM

rangerjohn

Explorer
I don't see magic missle on the list. Magic Aura and Magic Mouth. No Magic Missle. That's just it all the bard spells are circumstanial and your limited in what you know. I could very well see not having an opportuniy to cast a spell all day. This is not a minor feature of the class like ranger or paladin. As for normal combat, when would I get into melee then? I'm already a round behind if I use bardic performance.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Whoa bard's can't cast magic missile?!? I thought for sure. Need to check a few of my games. Edit: wait she is a gestalt sorcerer/bard ok that is where I got my mistaken info.

A really, really good spell (probably to good and I shouldn't tell you this) is Stone Call (but alas it is also sorcerer :().

Good fighter/bard spells lets see, lets see...

Heroism
Mirror Image
Summon monster for a flanking partner
Blur
Rage?!? if you wanted to go that route

Wow Bard's really are short on distant attack spells. But then again they can cast while wearing a chain shirt and use a shield after they "buff up".

Jiles my Bard loves his Haste spell. I have the Feat - Second chance so if he misses his first attack he gets to try again(losing the lower BAB attack- need two attacks for high BAB to get any use out of it) then attack with the haste so almost like to attacks at full BAB if he misses.

HM

rangerjohn

Explorer
What level is Jiles? Haste is a 3rd level spell. I'm beginning to think bards are supposed to be weak front line warriors. At least at low level, in a game where they are not the primary healer. You do realize to date, you have suggested one first level spell that would take a full round to cast that would last a round at our level?

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Not sure of the top of my head probably 7th might be 8th. He is more RP than rolling.

I will allow for lvling up to sixth during the adventure (still no third lvl spells but you may find a potion or scroll or two).

I think after looking at the bard list you could go utility as well. But an arcane duelist is all about the fight. So then the above listed spells you should be casting per fight/enter the dungeon (a few anyway).

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Not so let's see you get a +2 chain shirt and a mw shield and with say a DEX of 16 (add dodge and shield focus) and your AC would be 23 Add in Blur for a 20% miss chance to that and you would outlast most opponents.

I would focus on AC as to last in a front line fight. A bard won't be taking monsters down n one hot (unless they are kobolds). So staying power to get the job done.

My two cents on a front line bard. Please make whatever character you wish to play.

EDIT: No no first lvl - Touch of Gracelessness and Vanish.

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
No inspire courage is a contribution from round one.

Let's say you go first - inspire courage and then everyone attacks

If everyone hits that is +8 damage from the bard.

Round two you continue the song and only half hit. +4 more damage. You cast whatever spell you think is needed - If you think the fight will be a short one then don't cats just attack.

Round three Let's say everyone misses but your character finally gets to swing and hits.

Three rounds of combat and the bard has contributed 1d6+4 (rapier?) + 12 dmg - 17-23 pts of dmg .... looks as good as a front line fighter to me.

HM

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads