DCC #7 The Secret of Smuggler's Cove (full)

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I wish to adapt this previously 3.5 module for Pathfinder and am looking for a group. I am looking for help with my mid lvl adventure building from scratch as well as combat in pbp at this level.

This being a DCC (Dungeon Crawl Classic) it will be piled high with combat as well as the usually mystery to solve and NPCs to deal with. Also this will be a one shot type adventure with your character only probably leveling up once during it, but I think this might be a good way to try out a character concept, new class, or alternate class.

Will be playing this close to the Living Pathfinder Rules (as that is what I am making mid level adventures for). But might see about trying out some Ultimate Magic stuff to see how those spells work out.

So what do I need? 5 players each with a 5th lvl character. Character gene rules will be below. So as I am ending a game or two probably in the next month I wanted to get started on talking about a replacement for when I'm down below double digits in games I'm DMing. :p

Character Gene:

- Starting Level: 5th
- Abilities: point buy (20 pts) - then agumented for race and lvl up
- Races: core only - one player may be allowed to play a merfolk based on concept and fluff
- Classes: core only - but depending on start date/release date of game/Ultimate Magic one player might be allowed to play a Magus
- Hit Points: Max at 1st lvl and Max -2 for lvls 2-5 (plus all modifiers of course)
- Feats & Traits: core/APG/AA only - may pick two traits
- Starting Wealth: 10,500gp - May spend no more than 4,000gp on any one item (exception: magic shield or armor - you may have one or the other at a cost of 4,000gp + mw value - to gain a +2 magical bonus)
- Equipment: core/APG/AA only - mounts will not be needed and will actually not be much help

Please post up your interest and talk amongst yourselves to build a party.

HM

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Group so far...

Scotley - Ranger (archery combat style) - Elf
Mark Chance - unknown trying for arcane trickster PrC
Leif - Urban Druid - Elf
Fenris - Monk of the Sacred Mountain - Dwarf (duh!)
Herobizkit - Barbarian/Bard - Half-elf

Adventure Hook:

A merchant guild from a distant city sends the PCs to investigate the tragedy of the Nymph's Kiss and the operation of the Fair Haven lighthouse. The merchant guild wants to send several shipments of cargo to Fair Haven, but only if the treacherous waters near there can be safely navigated. The group is employed by the guild and has been on missions for them before. Now whether this is your first time with a particular character or you have worked with someone before is up to all of you.

HM

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Sounds good and Welcome Aboard.

Well that could be any class range really:

Ranger - with archery or crossbow combat styles
Fighter - either Archer or Crossbowman (look at trick shot for Archer looks like a neat ability)
Monk - Zen Archer

While thinking of a class I will let you know if you take ranger some good favorite enemies - humanoid (aquatic), Vermin, or Outsider(evil)

favorite terrain could be underground or water

Just trying to help because as I said this is a one shot deal and I would hate for you to choose things that don't get at least a little play time.

Have fun coming up with a character.

HM

Scotley

Hero
Interesting thoughts. I'll definitely look at the Ranger as well. I haven't really looked at Crossbow much in Pathfinder either. Might be a nice change of pace. Thanks!

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Welcome aboard Mark, :)

Well I know it is tough to think of what type of character you might want. In Pathfinder it is really an open field.

Did you know that you can combine archtypes. So long as two archtypes don't replace the same abilities it is possible to take two (or more).

So not only do you have the different class, but also the archtypes within them. Or you could chose a combo?!? :erm:

A lot to think on for sure...

Maybe if a few more people become interested you can discuss party roles and how to fill them.

HM

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Welcome aboard Mark, :)

Here's an idea:

[sblock=An Idea]
Go cleric 3/rogue 2. Choose Two-World Magic trait to gain mage hand. Choose Magic as one cleric domain, which would grant magic mouth as a 2nd-level domain spell. With one more level of rogue, character is (sort of) qualified for arcane trickster PrC, assuming one is willing to accept the Magic domain spells as counting as arcane spells for PrC prereqs.
[/sblock]

Thoughts? :)

Leif

Adventurer
I'm also very interested, HM! Now, for a class, hmmm, not exactly sure. I didn't read Mark Chance's suggestion until after I made this post, so I can do something else, like Druid, maybe? Yeah, I think I like that idea: Elf Fighter3/Druid2, or maybe, since I get racial proficiency with the rapier, just Druid5? Thoughts, anyone? Personally, I'm leaning towards Druid5, and the build below assumes that.

To explain the low charisma score here's what I thought: When he was a very young elf, he came upon a band of Duergar cutting down trees in his home forest and burning them. He immediately did what he could to make them stop, but they overpowered him and held the left side of his face in the fire they had built. The severe burns horribly disfigured the young elf, and cemented his desire to devote himself to protecting nature, hence his choice of profession. From his right side, he looks normal, but the entire left side of his face is horribly scarred from the burns, and his left ear is disfigured also - the point doesn't come up nearly as high as the other one does. So he usually wears a watch cap or hooded cloak (sometimes both) to conceal that fact.

[sblock=Here's my thoughts for 20 point buy:]
+0pts S10
+5pts D14 +2 racial = 16
+7pts C15 -2 racial = 13
+3pts I13 +2 racial = 15
+7pts W15 +1 L4 = 16
-2pts C8

Final Scores: S10(+0 mod); D16(+3 mod); C13(+1 mod); I15(+2 mod); W16(+3 mod); C8(-1 mod)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
@ Mark - Pretty sure that domain spells that are from an arcane casters list are still considered a divine spell. I will look into it among the boards. I personally like the flavor (an arcane trickster who tricked the PrC first :p), and might allow it but as you would need both cleric3 and rogue3 I don't think you would reach seventh in this game and get to play him as such. :(

@ Leif - Welcome! As I am not currently your DM in any game I would love to have you aboard.

A druid finese fighter, hmm... did you know that Flame Blade might be able to be used with Weapon Finese? I will look into that to, but since it says the blade is immaterial and doesn't use STR for damage it should count as a light weapon (don't you think), So you could be using that in hand to hand and getting DEX mods to hit on a fire touch attack.

And if you take the Fire domain as your Nature Bond you would get to chuck out a fireball once a day as a domain spell. :p

Food for thought, I will be around to help if you need me.

HM

Remove ads