• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DCC #7 The Secret of Smuggler's Cove (full)

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Welcome Fenris and rangerjohn looks like we might have a group just about gathered.

I agree that a good monk build could take the front line spot. But two are always better than one.

@ Mark - It is the domain spells specifically that I was thinking should count as divine and not arcane. If they counted as arcane then you would need a ASF check to cast them, which when casting the magic mouth domain spell you would not.

If you wouldn't mind your character taking that little draw back then I would readily agree to the use. I was thinking today that having both Magic and Trickery as your domains would be a good fit.

For the record the drawback would be as followed...

Domains: Magic and Trickery - When casting a spell from either of these domains counts as an arcane spell and follows all the rules for such. (Most notably Arcane Spell Failure while wearing armor).

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I have edited in the adventure hook into my second post so you can work on a little background. This is a generic world and anything you make up will be fine with me. If you want to add a little hook into your background to be played out I will be glad to do it.

The hook is the main goal of the adventure I will have one or two sub-quests added in from other hooks the game has suggested.

I might just use the deities out of the Core book to make things easy.

HM

Fenris

Adventurer
HM, how do you want to do hit points.

Ok, here is a draft of my dwarf.

[sblock]

Nurkuz
Level 5 Monk (Monk of the Sacred Mountain)
Male Dwarf
S 17 (13 pts) lvl increase to 18, gauntlets to 20
D 14 (5 pts)
C 12 (2 pts) race to 14
I 10 (0 pts)
W 12 (2 pts) race to 14, headband to 16
Cha 8 (-2 pts) race to 6

Init:+4
HP: 52 (8 +4d8 (d8-2=6) +10 C+5 T+5 FC)
AC: 20 (2 Dex, 3 Wis, 2 Nat, 1 Class, 1 Ring, 1 Dodge)
Fort:+6 (4+2)
Ref:+6 (4+2)
Will:+7 (4+3) +9 vs enchantments
BAB+3
CMB: +10 (+12 grapple)
CMD: 20
Ki Pool: 6

Melee: +9 1d8+5
Melee: PA: +8 1d8+7
Flurry: +9/+9 1d8+5
Flurry PA: +8/+8 1d8+7
Ranged: +5 1d2+5 (shuriken)
Ranged Flurry:+5/+5 1d2+5

Feats: Toughness, Improved Grapple, Power Attack, Weapon Focus Unarmed, Dodge, Ironhide

Traits: Reactionary (+2 Init), Honored Fist (+1 Ki Pool)

Class Abilities: Stunning Fist, Unarmed Strike, Iron Monk, Maneuver Training, Still Mind, Ki Pool, Bastion Stance, Purity of Body, Iron Limb Defense

Skills: 20
Acrobatics +9 (4+3+2)
Climb +9 (1+3+5)
Craft (Stonework) +5 (2+3+0)
Perception +11 (5+3+3)
Sense Motive +9 (3+3+3)
Stealth +9 (4 +3+2)
Swim +9 (1+3+5)

Equipment: 10,473 gp
Shuriken 25 5gp
Backpack 2 gp
Monk's outfit
100 ft silk rope 20 gp

Magic Items: Ring of Protection +1 (2,000 gp), gauntlets of ogre strength +2 (4,000 gp), Headband of Inspired Wisdom +2 (4,000 gp)

Nurkuz was a part of the Stone Fists, a group of dwarves who dedicated their lives to the discipline of becoming Monks of the Sacred Mountain. they celebrate their connection with thier mountain home. They train by striking their fists against pillars of stone. Thousands of years of work have crafted these pillars into careful shapes without tools. Nurkuz was born into this clan. he learned what he could and now seeks more enlightenment and to test his steadfastness in the greater world.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Who to do HP? good question... let me think a minute.

Hmm...

I think we will use the MAX -2 per lvl after first rule from the LPF. That way we are a little above the curve (for warriors).

So it's max at 1st lvl + all modifiers then...

MAX HD - 2hp for levels 2 - 5 + all modifiers at each lvl

Thanks for finding that wasn't addressed will add it to the Character gene post now.

HM

Leif

Adventurer
HM, I'm thinking that my Druid would have had no past dealings with the Merchant Guild -- too urban for his tastes! But the Nature-Priest-to-be-named-later does have a past connection (possibly earlier adventures?) with Scotley's Ranger -- this will be even better if he decides to play an Elf Ranger rather than a smelly old Human.

[sblock=chargen info for my own convenience]
Character Gen.:
Elf Druid

- Starting Level: 5th
- Abilities: point buy (20 pts) - then agumented for race and lvl up
- Races: core only - one player may be allowed to play a merfolk based on concept and fluff
- Classes: core only - but depending on start date/release date of game/Ultimate Magic one player might be allowed to play a Magus
- Hit Points: Max at 1st lvl and Max -2 for lvls 2-5 (plus all modifiers of course)
- Feats & Traits: core/APG/AA only - may pick two traits
- Starting Wealth: 10,500gp - May spend no more than 4,000gp on any one item (exception: magic shield or armor - you may have one or the other at a cost of 4,000gp + mw value - to gain a +2 magical bonus)
- Equipment: core/APG/AA only - mounts will not be needed and will actually not be much help

[sblock=Stats -- here's my thoughts for 20 point buy:]
+0pts S10
+5pts D14 +2 racial = 16
+7pts C15 -2 racial = 13
+3pts I13 +2 racial = 15
+7pts W15 +1 L4 = 16
-2pts C8

Final Scores: S10(+0 mod); D16(+3 mod); C13(+1 mod); I15(+2 mod); W16(+3 mod); C8(-1 mod)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Background] To explain the low charisma score here's what I thought: When he was a very young elf, he came upon a band of Duergar cutting down trees in his home forest and burning them. He immediately did what he could to make them stop, but they overpowered him and held the left side of his face in the fire they had built. The severe burns horribly disfigured the young elf, and cemented his desire to devote himself to protecting nature, hence his choice of profession. From his right side, he looks normal, but the entire left side of his face is horribly scarred from the burns, and his left ear is disfigured also - the point doesn't come up nearly as high as the other one does. So he usually wears a watch cap or hooded cloak (sometimes both) to conceal that fact.[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Just adding some notes to the thread hidden in a spoiler. Everything is a rough draft. :)

[sblock=Some Notes]
Iago Heddwyn Pedr Botolph
Male gnome cleric 3/rogue 2
CG Small humanoid (gnome)
Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Perception +12 (+13 to locate traps)

DEFENSE
AC 13, touch 13, flat-footed 11 (+? armor, +1 Dex, +1 Dodge, +1 size)
hp 42 (5d8+10)
Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +5
Defensive Abilities evasion, magical linguist, sudden shift (5/day)

OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft.
Melee weapon +5 (1d?+1)
Ranged weapon +5 (1d?)
Special Attacks channel energy 2d6 (7/day), hand of the acolyte (5/day), sneak attack +1d6
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 5th):
1/day - arcane mark, comprehend languages, message, read magic
Spells per Day 4/3+1/2+1
Spells Prepared (CL 5th):
2nd - mirror image*
1st - disguise self*
Oth - detect magic, guidance, mage hand, stabilize
* Domain spell. Domains Deception, Magic

STATISTICS
Str 12, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 15
Base Atk +3; CMB +3; CMD 14
Feats Dodge, Extra Channel, Mobility
Traits Collector (+2 Disable Device), Two-World Magic (mage hand)
Skills (Ranks) Bluff +7 (2), Craft (weaponsmithing) +7 (2), Disable Device +13 (+15 related to glyphs, symbols, scrolls, and other magical writings) (5), Escape Artist +6 (2), Knowledge (engineering)* +8 (5), Knowledge (local) +12 (5), Perception +12 (+13 to locate traps) (5), Sense Motive +7 (2), Stealth +10 (2), Use Magic Device +10 (+12 related to glyphs, symbols, scrolls, and other magical writings) (5)
Racial Modifiers +1 Disable Device, +1 Knowledge (engineering), +2 Knowledge (local), +2 Perception; Armor Check Penalty -?
* Knowledge (engineering) is not a class skill.
Languages Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Gnome, Sylvan
SQ aura, spontaneous casting, trapfinding (+1), trap spotter

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Academician: Some gnomes are more academically inclined than their kin. Gnomes with this racial trait gain a +2 bonus on any one Knowledge skill.

Hand of the Acolyte (Su): You can cause your melee weapon to fly from your grasp and strike a foe before instantly returning. As a standard action, you can make a single attack using a melee weapon at a range of 30 feet. This attack is treated as a ranged attack with a thrown weapon, except that you add your Wisdom modifier to the attack roll instead of your Dexterity modifier (damage still relies on Strength). This ability cannot be used to perform a combat maneuver. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

Keen Senses: Gnomes receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception skill checks.

Magical Linguist: Gnomes study languages in both their mundane and supernatural manifestations. Gnomes with this racial trait add +1 to the DC of spells they cast with the language-dependent descriptor or those that create glyphs, symbols, or other magical writings. They gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against such spells. Gnomes with a Charisma of 11 or higher also gain the following spell-like abilities: 1/day - arcane mark, comprehend languages, message, read magic.

Master Tinker: Gnomes experiment with all manner of mechanical devices. Gnomes with this racial trait gain a +1 bonus on Disable Device and Knowledge (engineering) checks. They are treated as proficient with any weapon they have personally crafted.

Sudden Shift (Sp): In the blink of an eye, you can appear somewhere else. As an immediate action, after you are missed by a melee attack, you can teleport up to 10 feet to a space that you can see. This space must be inside the reach of the creature that attacked you. You can use this power a number of times each day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

Weapon Familiarity: Gnomes treat any weapon with the word "gnome" in its name as a martial weapon.

Gear arcane scroll (invisibility x4)

Starting Wealth: 9900 gp - May spend no more than 4,000gp on any one item (exception: magic shield or armor - you may have one or the other at a cost of 4,000 gp + mw value - to gain a +2 magical bonus)[/sblock]

HM: This may have already been asked and answered, but what about pre-game Crafting? I'm not looking for budget magic items, but instead am looking to take advantage of the Master Tinker alternate racial trait for gnomes.

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
Hey guys let's not get quiet. let us keep talking about our party. HM obviously wants us to build our party so we all work. So let's see some more ideas thrown out there.

Leif

Adventurer
Then so far, we have my Elf Druid, Scotley's Elf Ranger Archer, MC's Gnome Cleric/Rogue, and Rangerjohn's ..... do we know what RJ will be playing yet?

Remove ads