Death in Freeport

Lorthanoth

Explorer
Rikki looks up from having a fight with his cat over something or other, roused by the mention of his name, "Y'wot?" he asks of the room. "You say sumfing?"

Voadam

Legend
Shayuri said:
"Did he say or do anything unusual just before his first change, six years ago?" Arcata ask.

"Maybe he had an audience with someone, or went somewhere? Or was studying something?"

"I do not recall anything unusual, though he was involved in a number of researches. I think I remember him saying he was researching ancient Uraqi temple sites and Tarsisian imperial trade documents, though he might have been involved in other research projects as well. I'll think about who else might know. Lucius knows draconic so Ilarten would probably know if he had been doing any translation work around that time. I'll ask him the next time I can."

Voadam

Legend
Erekose13 said:
"Hell yeah, Egil I'm there for you. And I think you can count me bud, Rikki in too. Don't 'member Lucius, what does he look like?" replies Dog.
Egil smiles broadly, "Thank you Dogrynn, I appreciate it. Lucius is a bit shorter than me, black hair, a bit thin." He turns to Rikki "Mr. Bone-Sticks, let me thank you again for your healing back in the Bilge Rat. I'm twice as pleased to meet you knowing you are a friend of Dogrynn's. The more good people I can get helping out who are not in the Athenaeum the better I think."

He considers. "I know this is asking a lot of all of you and might take you away from your other work for a while, I'll see what money I can raise to cover at least some of your expenses as well."

Azgulor

Adventurer
Satisfied with Egil's answers, Aidan nods and says, Perhaps we should start with Lucius' home then. It seems as good a place as any to begin our search. Once that's done, we can decide if we need to approach members at the Athenaeum. I'm guessing at least a few of us might be known around there, and we're short on candidates for long-lost family members..."

A slow smile crosses Aidan's face as a potential plan begins to form. "Of course, we could say we're looking for him because he owes us money. Say he had us running unusual errands or odd jobs connected with his research. Or specifically that he owed my family money and I'm looking to collect and share it with all of my friends here. That might stir the pot while keeping things on the sly."

"Unless someone has a better idea, shall we? We'll need an address, Brother Egil."

Shayuri

First Post
"Starting at his house seems good," Arcata admits.

"If we need to look in the Atheneum, well...we can plan that when and if the time comes."

Erekose13

Explorer
"Signed you up fer helping us Rikki, need ya along mate. Think yer up for it? Sounds like a good enough start Aidan, Arcata." agrees Dog.

Voadam

Legend
"A good idea Aidan. I have enough time to show you his home now before I need to get back for my evening duties. It is East of the Athenaeum, between the Temple District and Drac's End. Is everyone agreed and had enough to eat?" Brother Egil looks around encouragingly.

Voadam

Legend
Lucius' house

"Wonderful Mr. Bone-Sticks, let's go then."

Brother Egil leads the party from the docks across to the gates of the walled off section of Freeport separating Old City from the riff-raff housing and other districts outside of Old City, and then back out the gates into the center of the Temple District. Those familiar with the city note that this allowed the party to avoid coming near the Athenaeum entirely which is more on the Western side of the Temple District. He then leads the party East through the district to Lucius' house.

Arcata notes that the tavern she works at, the Scholar's Quill, is about halfway between the Athenaeum and Lucius' house. Many visitors to the Athenaeum lodge there, as Arcata did when she first arrived, and it doesn’t have the rough clientele that many local inns do.

"Here we are." Egil anounces as you come upon a not so impressive residence. Apparently, being a librarian in a trading city is not a lucrative job. Lucius’s small home has only the ground floor, consisting of two rooms, although there is a basement. Most of the main room is cluttered with books, scrolls, quills, ink pots, and other tools of the scholar’s trade. A cot is jammed into one corner, and there’s a small desk under the front window. The small backroom is part kitchen, part junk storage. A trapdoor leads down to the basement.

Remove ads