• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Deepening Warlock customization, and it's mechanical implications

Ganymede81

First Post
perhaps scaling back the number of spells to a single new spell from any list would be more appropriate?

I think that's fine. It certainly brings up those other Invocations into line and it is something I'd open up to all Warlocks.

I would caution you though that specialization really shouldn't be a basis for the power of an Invocation; requisite class level should. Otherwise, you have the situation where a player is making the silly choice between a stronger option and a weaker option.

I initially based this invocation on the Bard's Magical Secrets ability. I still think the power level of this invocation is fair, but perhaps scaling back the number of spells to a single new spell from any list would be more appropriate? Also, I like the suggestion from @Hemlock, but I don't think I would limit it to only Wizards or Sorcerer spell lists. I think I would go for Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard spell lists. This way, it gives quite a bit of flexibility, but still remains within the realm of spells meant for a 5th level character.

Sounds legitimate. The only reason I excluded Cleric/Druid from my initial suggestion was thematic, not game-balance.

Gadget

Adventurer
1. Allow ranged weapons for Pact of Blade. Yes, I know ranged combat is sweet, but I love the idea of a spectral archer. Would probably put a limit on the number of arrows summoned, if any. Since this is just for my home game, I am not worried, because my players are not always looking for the best mechanical option, just whatever helps their characters tear concept most.

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I allow warlocks to re-flavor the Eldritch Blast cantrip as a mystical bow and arrow appearing in the character's hands that they then shoot at the target(s). This gives the feel of the warlocks actually using a ranged weapon while keeping the mechanics the same and is useful for depicting Fey Knights and such.

Here's another invocation I've been considering.

Damning Hex
Prerequisite: 5th level, Hex spell
Your aptitude with using the Hex spell has grown to the point that it requires minimal effort. When you cast the Hex spell, you no longer require concentration to maintain the spell.

That... is probably not something I would allow at my table. It turns Hex into a bit too much of a must-have. I'm pretty happy with the existing Hex/warlock relationship, wherein Hex is a fun and useful thing to do sometimes with your concentration in low-intensity combat because of its low action-economy cost and effect on ability checks (e.g. Athletics)--but not a part of baseline damage.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
That... is probably not something I would allow at my table. It turns Hex into a bit too much of a must-have. I'm pretty happy with the existing Hex/warlock relationship, wherein Hex is a fun and useful thing to do sometimes with your concentration in low-intensity combat because of its low action-economy cost and effect on ability checks (e.g. Athletics)--but not a part of baseline damage.

My reasoning behind this is that the Hex spell is one of the spells that should be unique to the Warlock class. However, due to feats like Magic Initiate or dips into Warlock, it's also relatively easy to obtain. Using an invocation like this allows Hex to become enhanced as a feature of the class.

Additionally, it is already on par with the invocation Sign of Ill Omen. By the time you are using 5th level spell slots, Bestow Curse no longer requires concentration, and Hex has a 24 hour duration. Bestow Curse will be a one time use spell, sure, but it is also much more menacing for the encounter, whereas Hex could already potentially go on all day long. This just takes the need to constantly roll concentration checks to maintain it.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Eldritch Strike
Prerequisite: Eldritch Blast cantrip
When you cast Eldritch Blast you may make melee spell attacks instead of ranged spell attacks.

Additionally, it is already on par with the invocation Sign of Ill Omen. By the time you are using 5th level spell slots, Bestow Curse no longer requires concentration, and Hex has a 24 hour duration. Bestow Curse will be a one time use spell, sure, but it is also much more menacing for the encounter, whereas Hex could already potentially go on all day long. This just takes the need to constantly roll concentration checks to maintain it.

It's not the concentration checks--it's the fact that it allows you to use Hex simultaneously with other spells, or even while Raging.

Warbarian/Warbearian (Barbarian 1-3/Warlock X) would become a clearly superior type of Barbarian whereas today it's just a very good-but-MAD type. The extra d6 damage on every attack PLUS disadvantage on enemy Str (Athletics) checks is pretty exciting to my powergamer instincts. The only problem is the crowded bonus action economy.

In a game with all of your custom invocations available, my warlocks would probably wind up picking 50-70% of their invocations off the list you've posted in this thread. If that's what you want, then great. But it's also a potential sign of power creep, which you might or might not want. Be advised.

Game plan:
1. Barbarian 1 - Rage
2. Warlock 1 - Fiend Pact for temp HP
3. Warlock 2 - Fiendish Vigor, Agonizing Blast
4. Warlock 3 - Blade Pact
5. Warlock 4 - GWM feat, swap Fiendish Vigor for Devil's Sight, take Darkness feat. Abuse Darkness + Devil's Sight + GWM.
6. Warlock 5 - Thirsting Blade, swap Agonizing Blast temporarily for Damning Hex. (Because I want to play with my new toys. I'll get Agonizing back later on.)

Be further advised that Damning Hex makes Eldritch Claws just that little bit more redundant, because Darkness + Hex is just as good at keeping you out of 5' melee range as Eldritch Claws + Hex is. (Since darkness prevents most opportunity attacks.)

Just some things to think about from a powergaming perspective.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Hmmm... I really appreciate the feedback from a powergaming perspective. I'm not quite that into looking at things from that side, only considering what would be cool or interesting things. Personally, I don't mind power creep all that much, because as a DM I'm all about having the players doing really awesome things in combat.

But I can see that perhaps this should be a higher level invocation. What if it was a level 9 prereq?

Remove ads