Diablo IV

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
From last season, they were still stupidly OP. It was great running with my friend, his necro destroyed all the things. Much of this might have been to do with the season though.
Yeah, I used a necro during season one, and I think it took me taking on challenges way above my level for me to actually start having trouble.

Aldarc

Legend
I think they're new in Diablo IV. They're explored in a bunch of side quests and a dungeon in Fractured Peaks. Vampirism started with a cursed goblet (a great idea I'm stealing) and spread through knights of the church sent to put down the threat.
Is this a retcon from Diablo 2? In Diablo 2, I believe the lore was that they were summoned from hell by Horazon (the D1 Sorcerer).

It's a pretty neat idea, though I'm not sure if it's my favorite origin story for vampires.

Yeah, I don't know quite when it happened but at some point my druid went from being badass to follower of my friend's necromancer.
Druids are predicted to be OP at endgame whereas the best leveling Necro builds drop down to a lower tier or so.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Is this a retcon from Diablo 2? In Diablo 2, I believe the lore was that they were summoned from hell by Horazon (the D1 Sorcerer).

It's a pretty neat idea, though I'm not sure if it's my favorite origin story for vampires.
I don't remember them in D2, but it wouldn't be a retcon to have different outbreaks have different causes. For all we know, the goblet is of demonic origin. (Given that this is Diablo, that's almost certainly true.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Also, it is wild that the word "nephilim" has been apparently been banished from Diablo IV, given that it was used in every other sentence in Diablo III.

The new store First Ones transmog set is the first passing reference to the nephilim I've seen at all this game.

(And can we talk about how ridiculous the store is? Mediocre outfits being sold for $25, or $50 or more if you want to get the accessories and mounts that go with it? And 99% of the outfits look like zero creative energy was expended in coming up with them.)

(And can we talk about how ridiculous the store is? Mediocre outfits being sold for $25, or $50 or more if you want to get the accessories and mounts that go with it? And 99% of the outfits look like zero creative energy was expended in coming up with them.)
The store is indeed very odd. I mean: the prices are so high that it is not even tempting to buy anything.

As for the nephilim/nephalem thing: if I focus, I can still hear Azmodan skyping in to tell me about his plans, always starting with "Nephalem! ..." - so I think I'm good if they don't use it again before Diablo 6 ;)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I can't imagine they can resist using nephilim forever. They'd be a great seasonal villain, with the nephilim insisting they're the true lords of Sanctuary and needing everyone to put a boot in their ass.

Aldarc

Legend
I don't remember them in D2, but it wouldn't be a retcon to have different outbreaks have different causes. For all we know, the goblet is of demonic origin. (Given that this is Diablo, that's almost certainly true.)
Take a look here. They were in the first three acts of Diablo 2, though they used a number of different variant names. I remember them most in Diablo 2 Act 2 in the Arcane Sancutary mission where you are hunting the Summoner in a floating labyrinth with portals.

I can't imagine they can resist using nephilim forever. They'd be a great seasonal villain, with the nephilim insisting they're the true lords of Sanctuary and needing everyone to put a boot in their ass.
The big bad vampire villain of the Season of Blood, Zir of the Ancients, was a nephalim. ;)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Just announced at Blizzcon: First expansion will be Vessel of Hatred, focused on Mephisto, jungle areas previously seen in Diablo II and a new-to-Diablo-class (so no headhunter). Shipping late 2024, more details coming in summer 2024 (presumably when beta begins).

Remove ads