Did anyone here catch the new "Doctor Who"? (Merged)

Padril

First Post
I thought it looked quite promising. It set up the new Dr Who and his assistant nicely with a throwaway plot and a few London landmarks for the tourists :D

I really enjoyed watching it with my kids though. Seeing them watch it and get scared the same way I used too when I was young. My 4 year old was behind the cushions towards the end :]

Over all I think I'll be watching this.

MonsterMash

First Post
I saw it today on tape, pretty good - this first episode definitely looks a bit designed to try and get the sales to overseas networks with all the exposition and tourists London, but it should be possible to get better, I just hope we've got some multipart stories as 45 minuites is a bit short.

Ferret

Explorer
Yeah, I saw The doctor on Saturday Night with Jonathon Ross and they showed a montage of some of the monster and future episodes; it gets better.

Navior

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Is that a good thing? He's basically the Doctor that killed the show

I'm not entirely certain how you can blame the actor for killing the show, unless you feel that he just gave a terrible performance. But if it's the stories you're objecting to, Sylvester McCoy didn't write them. He just starred in them.

However, regardless of one's opinion of Sylvester McCoy, he's not the only one giving the new series a good review. Most of the British press has had very good reviews of the new series. You can check out Outpost Gallifrey for complete coverage of all the press response. There's still a little over a week left before it airs here in Canada (Tuesday April 5th at 8:00 on CBC), but I for one, am eagerly looking forward to it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
trancejeremy said:
Is that a good thing? He's basically the Doctor that killed the show

Sylvester McCoy was a good Doctor it was bad writers that stuffed it up

and if anything it was Colin Baker that killed it, Sylvester McCoy just wasn't enough to save it (and neither was the McGann movie Doctor)

anyway I'm still waiting here patiently for the new Doctor to screen...

Henry

Autoexreginated
merztrumpet said:
How'd you come to that conclusion? Personal opinion?

Probably because the Hiatus came right in the middle of Colin Baker's run. (Or was it the end? It was the whole "trial of the Doctor" thing, right?) But I don't know if you can lay it at the BBC's feet, the writers, the directors, Baker, or just to the fact that the show was 20 years old at the time, and maybe the audience was dwindling.

You've got me interested now, but I probably won't be able to catch it until it comes out on Region 1 DVD. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I enjoyed it. It was very much an introductory setup, and obviously designed around filling new viewers in on the basic premise, which I found a little frustrating -- but I can accept that it was necessary. Some of the previews and clips of later episodes look fantastic. And I really, really can't wait for the daleks to show up!

Remove ads