Did anyone here catch the new "Doctor Who"? (Merged)

evildmguy

Explorer
I saw the first one a couple of weeks ago and I LOVED it! It was awesome!

I can't wait to see more!

If you want more details, let me know.

Have a good one! Take care!

edg

evildmguy

Explorer
As I said in the other forum, I saw it a few weeks ago and I LOVED it! I haven't kept with with the books or audio of Dr. Who, although I hear they are quite good, but I am hoping this show will really get me interested in them. It was great!

btw, I don't think there was one thing that caused the demise of Dr. Who those many years ago. I don't think it was the actors, writers or directors. I think it had run its course. I enjoyed all of them. And yes, the hiatus was after first year of Colin Baker and when it came back, it was down to 14 episodes a year, which was Trial of a Time Lord.

Have a good one! Take care!

edg

qstor

Adventurer
Did they show the old Dr. as Paul McGann? Was there a regeneration?

[edit] nope. they didn't. Question answered on gallifreyone :) Hopefully, he'll make a cameo in another episode.

Mike

Last edited:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
No they didn't show that. They did have him mention that he looks ok, but he seemed a bit critical of his ears. They didn't mention regenerations or anything like that though. I liked it. Doc was still half nuts, and wasn't a violent person. I'm glad that he still outwits, or occasionally bumbles, his way to victory instead of having a climactic sword/gun/kung-fu fight to defeat his enemies.

All in all it felt like a Doctor Who episode. That's a very good thing. I just hope someone over here picks it up so I don't have to bittorrent it all the time.

I really enjoyed it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Henry said:
Probably because the Hiatus came right in the middle of Colin Baker's run. (Or was it the end? It was the whole "trial of the Doctor" thing, right?) But I don't know if you can lay it at the BBC's feet, the writers, the directors, Baker, or just to the fact that the show was 20 years old at the time, and maybe the audience was dwindling.

You've got me interested now, but I probably won't be able to catch it until it comes out on Region 1 DVD. :)

Yes I acknowledge it was probably all those things, and although the Colin Baker quip was personal opinion it was pretty much supported by both ratings and the relevant BBC decision makers. IMHO Colin Baker changed the character making him more agressive and indeed violent. On top of the bad writing and aging fan base the change in character was too great a depature from what the Doctor represented as an archetype and exactly what his successors have been trying to reverse by basing their traits on the second (Patrick Troughton) and Fourth (Tom Baker) incarnations.

Sylvester McCoy was an attempt to salvage the show but as we know it didn't work, until now - the New Generation:)

Fast Learner

First Post
I felt that it was very Doctor Who-ish. Which, 25 years ago, I would have probably been thrilled with. Today, though... I guess taste just changes with age. I doubt I'll be watching.

Remove ads