Did anyone here catch the new "Doctor Who"? (Merged)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I thought it was fantastic. Even better, my wife watched it with me and she thought it was fantastic too (especially brilliant considering she doesn't normally like any fantasy or sci-fi).

I really liked the new doctor, I thought the production values were top-notch.

I think they made a really good decision to not start off with a regeneration - it is fine to be introduced as backstory, but unless you are going from one series straight into another it doesn't really make sense (like it didn't make sense in the forgettable McGann version).

Did I mention that I liked the new doctor? I thought the slightly irascible temperament was spot-on, his other-worldness was captured nicely.

Although there wasn't the traditional cliff-hanger, there were some good little shock moments (like the catflap... I'll say no more).

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series.

(attracted 10million viewers on Saturday night BTW, beating the opposition. An excellent turnout in UK tv terms).

Cheers

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Henry said:
Probably because the Hiatus came right in the middle of Colin Baker's run. (Or was it the end? It was the whole "trial of the Doctor" thing, right?) But I don't know if you can lay it at the BBC's feet, the writers, the directors, Baker, or just to the fact that the show was 20 years old at the time, and maybe the audience was dwindling.

In my mind the problems started during Peter Davidsons tenure, when they moved it from its traditional Saturday team-time slot to variable times during the week, which made it much harder to find and remember. It is a shame because Peter Davidson was one of my favourite Dr Who's

Ultimately though, I think the fault can be traced directly to Michael Grade. He was then controller of BBC1, didn't like it, wanted it cancelled. Scheduling decisions pitting it against a top 'soap' pretty much finished it off.

I am so pleased to see it return in such a fantastic form, and I'm also glad that the iconic theme music and tardis sound are still recognisably there.

Cheers

qstor

Adventurer
Fast Learner and others in the US, how did you catch it via the Web? I have dial up so I'll have to wait till someone picks it up for regular telecast.

Is the Master supposed to show up later as well?

Mike

Pyrex

First Post
I very much enjoyed the pilot and agree with the sentiment that it was definately "Doctor Who-ish".

Unfortunately as of yet there are no plans to distribute it in the US, leaving all us over here to turn towards, ahem, alternate distribution channels.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
jester47 said:
If they bring back the master, I hope it is Derek Jacobi.

You mean you don't want to see Eric Roberts reprise his role? :)

(I actually think Eric Roberts is a really good actor- his Master was just way over the top. Probably what he was told to do, but still... yeesh.)

I watched this tonight. I enjoyed it quite a bit, though mostly for nostalgia's sake. It didn't quite capture the mood and fun of the Doctor Who I remember as a kid, but as others have pointed out, this seems really designed as an introduction for the non-Doctor Who fans out there- and after a decade off the air, they certainly needed an intro.

I really liked Billie Piper as Rose- she turned in an excellent performance in a not-consistently written role in this episode. Eccleston's Doctor is interesting, though I think he overplays the quirkiness a bit too much; my favorite Doctors were more natural and subtle in their eccentricities (Tom Baker, Peter Davidson, Patrick Troughton). I can see some interesting performances from him, but I don't think he was consistent in this episode. I also miss the colorful wardrobe of the previous Doctors; this outfit seems far too drab and even (dare I say it) stylish, for our resident Gallifreyan.

Some really cool bits in this- I loved the "Every planet has a north" line, the sonic screwdriver... hopefully the jelly babies will turn up.

The preview for the next episode looked really good, and I hope they turn up the juice a little now that they've finally gotten off the ground. I think it will take me a couple of episodes before I decide whether I like the new series or not, but I'll definitely be taking them in until I pass judgement one way or the other.

A prospective start, then, and I'm hoping for more. Really looking forward to seeing the Daleks, and hopefully we'll see the Cybermen turn up again soon, too. They could do very interesting things with them with newer technologies available.

Spud

First Post
I liked it, but more importantly watched it with my two kids (both 5) and they both loved it and cant wait for next weeks episode. Although unfortunately they didnt hide behind the settee...

Remove ads