Did anyone here catch the new "Doctor Who"? (Merged)

MonsterMash

First Post
The disadvantages of casting a known actor in the role, I'd personally say its too late to worry about being typecast now - once you've played the Doctor its all over man!

But more seriously its a pity after just one series.

TanisFrey

First Post
Navior said:
There's still a little over a week left before it airs here in Canada (Tuesday April 5th at 8:00 on CBC), but I for one, am eagerly looking forward to it.

:p :lol: :eek: :cool:

The joys of living on the border with Canada.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The second episode is better than the first for sure! There is a darker edge to the Doc now, but he's still the "Doctor" at heart.

I hope they manage to talk this guy into staying somehow.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The BBC have apologised for breaking the news that he is leaving after one season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4410943.stm

Head of drama and commissioning Jane Tranter said: "The BBC regrets not speaking to Christopher before it responded to the press questions on Wednesday 30 March.

"The BBC further regrets that it falsely attributed a statement to Christopher and apologises to him."

A BBC spokesman said a mutual agreement was made between the corporation and Eccleston in January that the fact he was not making a second series would not be made public.

But after journalists questioned the press office, the news was confirmed.

(my emphasis)

Cheers

Goblyns Hoard

First Post
I caught the first episode and I'm going to echo most of the thoughts already given - it was an intro and I hope future stories have a bit more plot. I think Eccleston is doing a good job with the quirkiness and general character of the Dr. and that a lot of the differences come as a sign of the general changes that have come about since... bringing the Dr. up to modern times a bit more. I do think they've made a mistake with his outfit - he shouldn't be so mainstream in look.

Unfortunately I missed the second episode - does anyone know if it's being re-broadcast at anytime?

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Goblyns Hoard said:
I caught the first episode and I'm going to echo most of the thoughts already given - it was an intro and I hope future stories have a bit more plot.

I liked the second episode quite a bit more than the pilot, which I enjoyed but wasn't overwhelmed by. It was still a bit too simplistic, story-wise, but there were some really great character moments, and the effects were really interesting and not as CGI-Obvious as in the pilot episode. I think it is a harbinger for things to come, though I was admittedly disappointed that it wasn't a multi-part episode with cliffhanger. Looks like there will be a few of those coming this season, though, so that's good.

One thing I really enjoy is the more cinematic feel to the new episodes. I enjoyed the new look to the film of the pilot (not the video camerawork I recall from the Dr. Who of yesteryear), the locations were, for the most part, rather obviously small sets and things (the basement of a Shopping Mall, the Sewer, a house). The second episode really opens things up quite a bit, and you get a real sense of being on an otherworldly setting (a space station). I wish we'd get to see the interior of the TARDIS a bit more, though. I heard it described as being sort of organic looking, like a brain, somewhere, but to me it looks more like a Jules Vernish sort of interior.

(Aside- on the filmstock issue- I didn't watch much of the later Dr. Who, post-Davidson, but it seems to me that some of the Davidson and Baker era Whos used film rather than video, but maybe it was only during the outdoor location shoots, which they seemed to have more of than previous Whos).

I think Eccleston is doing a good job with the quirkiness and general character of the Dr. and that a lot of the differences come as a sign of the general changes that have come about since... bringing the Dr. up to modern times a bit more. I do think they've made a mistake with his outfit - he shouldn't be so mainstream in look.

I agree with the trendy look to the Doctor, but I will note that he does seem delightfully out of place in Victorian London (in the trailer for the next episode), wearing that outfit, while Rose wears period clothing. In that respect, at least, he seems very Doctorish. It also looks like a lot of the episodes upcoming will be taking place in the past, so he should look suitably eccentrically time-displaced. Just not in present-day London.

As to Eccleston, I'm still out on him. I think he does some really good work, but for the comedic bits, he seems to be mugging for the camera too much. His dramatic scenes are great- he's got a really good couple scenes in the second episode. His comedy is too much of a mixed bag for me. Some times he seems suitably quirky, but not campy. Other times, he has such exaggerated reactions, that it is obvious that he's acting. Now, admittedly, he is playing an alien, one to whom human emotion is not necessarily a natural thing (and in fact, there is some backstory alluded to in ep. 2 that would explain why the human-loving Doctor may, in fact, be acting at being happy-go-lucky), but it still sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

I do like him, but I wish he'd tone it down a bit. Then, too, I think he's probably still finding his footing in the first two episodes, and I like him enough to give him time to grow on me more.

Unfortunately I missed the second episode - does anyone know if it's being re-broadcast at anytime?

Don't know for sure- you might check this page at Outpost Gallifrey. They have several listings of airtimes. I'm sure there's a BBC webpage with schedule listings somewhere, too.

freebfrost

Explorer
I enjoyed the pilot episode very much - thought that Chris did a good job creating his own version of the Doctor. A bit of the gruffness of Davidson and Pertwee, with a bit of the cluelessness of Tom Baker, but with an energy and attitude that is clearly his own.

Very good so far, and I can't wait to see the rest of the season.

As an aside, it has been announced by the BBC that Chris originally only signed up for one season, so it wasn't really the big surprise they've made it out to be.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Goblyns Hoard said:

No good for you this time, but they seem to repeat them on BBC3 (digital freeview) on Sunday evenings.

BTW, where in Bedfordshire are you?

Remove ads