• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Discussion) General Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamsteak

Explorer
We need to discuss it a bit. That much I know.

I'll be moving back to school (high speed connections and all that) on the 12th of next month. At that time I'll have about a week or so before school starts. During that period, I'd like to update the archivomatic, prune the forum, and get an official running experience total for all characters (I'll retrieve this from each thread where the number was awarded). Then I'd like to implement the adventuring xp rule properly, and get the SRD stuff up to date.

I'm going to continue with going through the archivomatic and approving/dissapproving content. It'll be a while still before we are done, but it's all we can do to just run through it piece by piece.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Just a reminder

I'd just like to take the time to remind those with unapproved characters to email me about character approval by this coming Tuesday. Once again, if you are playing an unapproved character in an adventure, that character will not receive XP for it. It doesn't matter if one of your characters is already approved. If you have an unapproved character in an adventure, that character will not get any XP.

This is an official Living Enworld ruling. CS and the other judges have ok'd it well before a week ago so I'm not speaking out of my ass.

GMs, please remind/tell those of your PCs who are unapproved to email the Character Approval Judge at the aforementioned email addresses. Thank you.

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Hey All, I hate to interrupt your normal gaming talk but I got an email the other day from Thomas Hobbes and thought I would pass word that TH is indeed alive, but that his PC was having issues. He hoped to have it fixed within the week, but that it was out of his hands.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Hey, I'm new to LEW, and very new to PbP gaming, so I hope you'll tolerate a newbie question or two:

1. How come there is not a single character above level 3? I thought the average would be... oh... 8. Or something like that. The best (real life) games I've played were at the 7-12 mark, where we start at low levels and work our way up. I've honestly never gotten past 13, but I thought that it would at least be higher than 3! Am I wrong?

2. What are the "high activity" times? One thing about PbP that bothers me a bit is the pace. I've perused a few of the current adventures and such, and so far I've found that they get updated maybe 4 times a day. And they have 300 posts. Which figures out to... 2 and a half months. And they're not finished yet. Wow. Is that normal? I suppose it's a different gaming style, filled with tons more RPing than table top play (for me, anyway). But I'd kinda like to have a little conversation to go on, oh say, every 30 minutes, rather than every 24 hours.

3. Last one! About how often do adventures get posted in the tavern?

Hope this gives you something to do! Thanks for the answers in advance.

One comment I'd like to make is about the idea on multiple taverns. So far, I've seen one adventure posted in the tavern. With 4 taverns, that means a much reduced rate of adventure posts per tavern. I don't like it very much. One man's opinion, though.

Creamsteak

Explorer
1 & 2 are one in the same :), 1 is true because of 2, and as you said in 2, Play by Post is going to be slower than a table-top game. The DM cannot just say, "what do you do?" and get an answer, he has to wait till Joe logs onto enworld in 12 hours to reply that, "I'll do this if x, or that if y or z." Then, a day later, the DM gets to respond. Just using personal experience, I'd say an "adventure" takes one month to six depending on the complexity and posting habits of the players.

Also, LEW was born in September, not officially going till mid October. We will barely be a year old in a few months, and give that play by post moves so slow, you can see why the levels are as they stand.

3) I'd like to see a new one pop up soon if we get a new proposal for an adventure. We tend to get them in piles of 2 to 4, then none for a few weeks.

*) We only have 1 tavern currently specifically because of this. When we start to have higher level groups (could be a long while away actually), there might be a certain degree of segregation between taverns besides just location.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Ah... I didn't know LEW was so young. I thought it had been going on for 2 or 3 years, judging simply by the join dates of some of the members. But I suppose that's for ENWorld, not LEW. Thanks for the prompt answers, uncharacteristic of PbP, apparently. This should be fun!

Manzanita

First Post
nimisgod said:
I'd just like to take the time to remind those with unapproved characters to email me about character approval by this coming Tuesday. Once again, if you are playing an unapproved character in an adventure, that character will not receive XP for it. It doesn't matter if one of your characters is already approved. If you have an unapproved character in an adventure, that character will not get any XP.

In response to this and Gnomework's earlier question of XP's assigned before the 100/mo rule for active adventurers was established, I'd just like to say I like what I Pbartender did in the Record Tracking and Interface Thread, where he lists what XP he awarded in his adventures.

Earlier there was talk about how XPs would be recorded by PCs. Most seem to make a link in their PC entry to the post where XPs were awarded. But some don't. It is probably better to rely on moderators to track this, and Pbartender's method holds promise. Perhaps having the DM list XPs given in the record tracking thread would solve this.

While we're at it, perhaps DMs could record treasure acquired in this thread as well. Perhaps this would become to cumbersome. It's not that I don't trust people's motivations, but we all do get careless at times, and the slow rate at which PbP plays out, we might end up losing track of where various things came from.

This would also allow a convienent way for DMs to restate their XP awards. I think if we are going to give the 100 XPs/month, it should be applied retroactivly to our distinguished early adventurers.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Well, what I want to do is (after I'm done with proposals, I'll stick a couple right now actually), is to go through all the adventures and get the xp rewards (without per-month xp) out of them. Then keep that in an archive thread (completed adventures, accepted proposals, what-not) with the xp listing right next to it.

THEN add on the 100 xp per month from when the character was created up to the current month. That would be for "xp per month" rather than "xp per month adventuring."

OR, if we want to do it by adventures, we can track the duration of each adventure and then add that to the totals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads