D&D 5E Do you ever roll for monster HPs in 5E?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I don't think that I've actually ever rolled for monster HPs in 5e, but if there are several of the same monsters, I vary around the average. If only a single monster is encountered, I just use the printed average value.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Related to this, I wonder if people would find it useful if instead of "average" hps, a stat block listed four possibilities: Runt (1/4 hps), Ordinary (avg), Stalwart (3/4 hps), Brute (max).
I don't play much 5e, but yeah, that's is how I typically did it in 3e days, with the addition of "1-hit wonders" aka mooks. Classed NPCs were rolled like PCs.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Yep, I always roll.

Well, technically Roll20 rolls for me whenever I drop the monster token onto the VTT, thanks to the MonsterHitDice script.

MonsterHitDice​

Version: Latest 0.3.11

Authors:
The Aaron

Automatically fills in the hit points for a characters dragged onto the table top.

The default token for the character needs to represent that creature but should not have the bar used for hit points linked to an attribute. Use the settings below to configure the script for how you calculate hit points in your game. There are several sheets for which the configurations are built in or you can use the more detailed settings. Details about each setting are included along with it.

Commands​

!mhd

This will reroll hitpoints for all selected tokens.

User Customization Options​

Bar: Select the bar to use for hitpoints. (Default: Bar 1)
Sheet: Select the character sheet you are using to attempt to preconfigure for that sheet. (Current setting: DnD 5e - Community Contributed)
HitDice Attribute: Type the name of the attribute used to store the Hit Dice formula. (Default: HitDice)
SRD Embedded Formula: Select this checkbox if the HitDice attribute has formula in the SRD embedded format (Default: On)
1st Edition HD in Attribute (d8): Select this checkbox if the HitDice attribute contains a number of d8s to roll for hitdice (Default: Off)
Separate Constitution Modifier: Select this checkbox if you store the constitution modifier separately from the HitDice formula. (Default: Off)
Constitution Attribute: Type the name of the attribute used to store the constitution value. (Default: blank)
Constitution is Stat: Select this checkbox if the Constitution attribute should be converted to a modifier ((CON-10)/2). (Default: Off)

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Yep. Part of my prep for each session, if I know certain combats are likely, is rolling the HP of each combatant in advance. Even if it's a random of unexpected encounter though, I still always roll.

Remove ads