Do you use the Psionics Handbook in your game?

Do you use the Psionics Handbook in your game?

• Yes

Votes: 88 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 39.3%

Jarval

Explorer
Yes, I use it (with some very minor rules tweaking) in two of my worlds. I also use the "Psionics is Different" variant at all times (but then I'm also thinking of applying similar rules to make Divine magic different to Arcane magic).

I've always been a big fan of psionics, and as has already been said you just have to use psionics in Dark Sun, so I've got two reasons for using it anyway.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Sweet

Psionics are cool, dude.

Though I could see how some people see the rules as useless (there isn't a whole lot of difference between a psion and a sorcerer, is there, other than flavor?)...the Psionics is Different option allows you to make everything balanced and fun! Hoo-hah!

Hooray for balanced psionics! Boo for lack of flavor...but that is easily changed. :)

Carnifex

First Post
I use the psi book rule unmodified thus far. There is one exception I might make, and that is to give psionic creatures limited numbers of pp's for manifesting their innate psionic combat modes, to make it less unbalanced for PC's in combat with them.

Check the story hour link in sig to see how the psion in my game has fared thus far - an earth genasi nomad, called Sandslipper. She's done plenty of running away! :)

Davelozzi

Explorer
We're just starting a new campaign and will be using the Psionics Handbook, with some tweaks. Actually, two of my players are coming over tonight to roll up characters and one will be playing a psion. We were supposed to do this last week but delayed so I'd have time to go over the variant rules suggested in my "what's wrong with the Psion?" thread last week and from If Thoughts Could Kill and RPG Cosmos. I will be using the psionics are different variant because even though it's a little extra work, to me it seems too much like magic without it.

I'd like to thank everyone who gave me helpful advice in last week's thread - especially Psion who gave lots of great ideas, several of which I plan on using.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I have never used ANY psionics in any AD&D or D&D campaign to date. I don't see them as necessary or interesting. Leave Professor X in the comics, not in D&D.

They are somewhat rare but known. I find them kind of fun, different and they add to the game. I use the ITCK rules and the PsiHB pretty much stock but after we try a few bouts of Psi combat I may have to tweak that. I use the psi and magic interact rules, but I give a -5 penalty for using Spell/Psicraft on the wrong type of power and a -2 to dispell the wrong type of power.

We don't disallow psionics, but no one is interested in using them. Having read the psionic combat rules, the last thing any of the players want to do is be a psionic PC... :(

DMaple

First Post
Never used Psionics and never felt a need too, at least not in a heroic fantasy setting.

I can't see what they will add to the game other than an other set of spells and rules to get your head round. I think my money could be better spent than buying the Psionics Handbook.

That's not to say I'm total against Psionics, but I'd rarely mix both Psionics and magic in one campaign setting.

I have done it before but only in Conspiracy X, which has a really good Psionics system in my opinion, heck it helps if the players actually have ESP.

Tsyr

Explorer
Yes, but with heavy amounts of flavor modifications. They are no longer psionics in name, but the rules are the same.

Hey Aaron, where did ya get the Ryoko image in yoru sig file? That's a new one, and really cool looking.

Remove ads