Do you use the Psionics Handbook in your game?

Do you use the Psionics Handbook in your game?

• Yes

Votes: 88 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 39.3%

Scarab

First Post
Don't own it yet - the local gaming store (the only in the area...) seems to think the equivalent of 38$ is a good price for it. So I'll buy it the next time I happen to be in a city with a Tradition store.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Really...? I thought it was useless! A +0 BAB cahracter attacking someone in melee instead of engaging in Psionic Combat! Of course, Mind Blast is good.

Rav

kenjib

First Post
I like it, combined with If Thoughts Could Kill, as an alternate magic system. It's more like what the sorcerer should have been.

EDIT: But I get rid of the psionic terminology and all of the crystal nonsense. It's just magic.

Last edited:

No, I don't.

Psionics don't fit into my conception of a standard fantasy world. I think if they were to be a part of the campaign world, they should be special/integral. For example, Dark Sun.

The second reason I don't allow for them, is I don't care for the "flavor" of the rules. I already feel like the sorceror and wizard aren't distinguished enough from one another and adding the psionic just puts too many cooks in the kitchen in this case.

KnowTheToe

First Post
Psionics rule. I find it funny that so many people have voiced it as a waste or the same as magic. The whole point of 3E was to open almost every perceivable option for game play. This is just an option.

My favorite option is the Speed of Thought feat. Choose that a few times and add a lvl of Barbarian and you have a character that can charge from 100 ft away, wizards beware. Who needs a missle weapon.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Psionics is, to me, a very intriguing idea. I do like that psionics are on a more equal footing with magic in 3e, but I have an extreme distaste for it being even remotely similar to magic.

IMC, there are three approaches to achieving one's goals - following the physical laws of the universe (technology), finding loopholes in the physical laws of the universe (psionics), and just outright breaking the physical laws of the universe (magic). Each is similar, but they have radically different ideals and approaches to doing the same thing.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
When I dm I allow them, at the time just the handbook was out I used the display errata from the start. Back then we had one player player one. Same group as a player I played 3.

Current group dm doesn't allow them in, he doesn't seem to want to spend much time to learn the core rules much less any additional rules.

arcseed

First Post
I don't. Don't care for the idea of 'psionics' in a fantasy setting. If a player came along, with the book, and really wanted to use psionics, I'd borrow it, learn the rules, and let him do it-- so long as he agreed to refer to it as 'mental magic' or something in character.

beldar1215

Explorer
I've never used them before. I don't feel like I know all the rules well enough yet either. I'm a fairly new DM. I also don't feel like buying another book. I may look into them at some point, but not for awhile.

Remove ads