Do you use the Psionics Handbook in your game?

Do you use the Psionics Handbook in your game?

• Yes

Votes: 88 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 39.3%

Neowolf

First Post
I'm in kind of a funny situation. I've told my players that they're totally welcome to play psionic characters, but it hasn't tickled anyone's fancy yet. Well, we've got a new guy who hasn't built his character yet, and the PsiHB seemed to pique his interest... ;)

njorgard

First Post
Psionics.....I don't think so...

I 've been running AD&D / D&D campaings for more than 16 years and I have never used psionics. Call me a traditionalist, but I don't think psionics have a place in a medieval fantasy setting.

I think they are like designated hitters in baseball...they undermine the purity of the game... :D

Agamon

Adventurer
I so dislike psionics. Check out the book and give it a chance they said last year. Checked it. I still so dislike psionics. They just don't fit in with fantasy campaigns*. And previous versions have left a very bad taste in my mouth. The 3E version wasn't enough to remove it, either.

*Only my opinion. I respect the fact that others may disagree.

Henry@home

First Post
I am in the unenviable position of allowing it in my games - yet no one wants to take it. On the other hand, I have yet to have a DM in my group allow me to play one. :)

How can you prove or disprove something is balanced if you can't even play it?

enrious

My DM has said that we're free to play psionic characters but we'll be some of the few beings that use psionics - only the Illithid use psionics.

Plus if we want to play psions, we're responsible for learning the rules, not him. (Although he does have a copy of the PsiH, he'll read it if he has to)

Were I DMing, I'd use it as it doesn't seem overpowering and adds a certain flavor to certain monsters.

Marion Poliquin

First Post
RHM said:
Explain how and/or why.

I haven't made much use of Psionics rules because none of my players have shown any interest and it's one less book for me to lug around if I don't use them myself.

But I really like them, because it's possible to make highly flexible and unusual (I won't say unique because you can make unique characters using any rules) characters using those rules.

Malin Genie

First Post
I love the idea of Psionics, and have been toying with the idea of creating a skill-and-or-feat based psionic system. While I bought the PsiHB, I don't really like the 'magic with mana points' approach with 'powers = spells.'

IMHO psionics should be something with a completely different feel to magic. Or, not so much that it 'should be,' but that I would only create or DM psionic characters if it were.

Remove ads