• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Donating Gaming Supplies to Military Personnel?

Ed Gentry

First Post
Hey guys,

I have a TON of 3.5 books I need to get rid of. I'd heard that there are ways to donate these to military personnel who are always in need of gaming as it's a growing hobby in those circles. Unfortunately, everything I've been able to find with a quick search is all from 2005 or so.

Does anyone have information on current programs that I can donate these books to?

Thanks!

Rechan

Adventurer
IIRC, Hasbro donates a lot of gaming supplies to military personnel, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Here's some options:
Contact your local recruitment office.

The Red Cross; they work with the military.

Angels Soldiers; they handle all kinds of donations like care packages and such. I checked their website; gaming books seems to be outside the general donation stuff for their care packages, but then I came across this:
In the last five years, Soldiers' Angels has shipped or distributed everything from Girl Scout cookies to portable water stations and holiday decorations. If you have items not listed above that you think might be appreciated by America's Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines or their families, please don't hesitate to contact us. You can email Soldiers' Angels or call us at (615) 676-0239.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

I'm not sure if a second one will be held but if so you could send stuff to ZigguratCon, held in the Green Zone in Baghdad. I sent TONS of stuff I had lying around (some lucky soldier got a mint-in-shrink 7th printing (or later) of CHAINMAIL) and sent it off to 'em. I know for a fact they'll appreciate anything you can send.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) Check with your FLGS.

Mine (Lone Star Comics) established some kind of link with the military (possibly the USO, but I don't know for sure) to donate paperbacks and other stuff, and I used it to donate a bunch of anthologies and novels.

Then I used it to donate gaming supplies- dice, HERO 5th, D&D Core 3 + OA, Ars Magica 4th, and the like.

2) Contact the USO.

3) Contact a National Guard Unit in your area.

4) If your FLGS doesn't have a donation program, and the USO has no clue, contact Lone Star Comics about going through their program. The store I used to go got a commendation from the military for their efforts, but that location closed after 20 years of business. Still, I'm sure its still active in the chain as a whole, and even if it isn't, its likely someone there knows how it used to work.

Your Online Comic Book & Graphic Novel Store | mycomicshop.com

skoriaan

First Post
Thanks Ed!

Ed, I wanted to thank you, as I remember being deployed to Iraq, and even now, stationed in Korea, my only way to get gaming books is Ebay or Amazon. (Which works well enough. I tend to rely on PDF's for most things now, with the moving around and such).

I have brought my dice with me every where I've gone though.

Thanks again Ed(and others who have donated).

M.

wilrich

First Post
Thanks Ed!

Ed, I wanted to thank you, as I remember being deployed to Iraq, and even now, stationed in Korea, my only way to get gaming books is Ebay or Amazon. (Which works well enough. I tend to rely on PDF's for most things now, with the moving around and such).

I have brought my dice with me every where I've gone though.

Thanks again Ed(and others who have donated).

M.

(If I may derail the thread for a moment). It is said so much that it becomes a cliche, but, in all heartfelt sincerity, thank you for your service. It is much appreciated.

As far as the topic at hand, thank you for the responses, the OP's question is something I've wondered myself.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I started donating because my Dad was an Army MD remobilized and stationed in Germany during Desert Storm, and even in a long-established base, he had trouble finding english language entertainment.

Because of that, I knew that if you're a serviceman in a new-ish or temporary base, you'd have to be going nuts. This was confirmed when a cousin and a friend's son were both sent to the Middle East and my Dad's secretary's hubby was sent to the Balkans. (All OK, BTW.)

So I started with anthologies and (non-series) novels, then worked my way up to gaming material.

Thanks to all those who serve!

(I kid you not- this thread puts tears in my eyes.)

Here's another idea: If you are a gamer on active duty, find out if there is someplace in your area we can send things to directly- or if there is a specific address the USO wants us to use- and post that address in this thread! You might have better luck than someone asking from outside the system.

And if there are particular things you can (or can't) use, let us know!

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
2) Contact the USO.

This...and

Contact the MWR office (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) on any military installation (if you live near a base, they are in the phone book - otherwise, every service branch and installation has a web site with contact information). USO and MWR are the best people for this.

(If you contact a recruiter this is probably who they will refer you to.)

defendi

Explorer
If you have trouble, e-mail me temp at robertjdefendi.com (that's my burnable address :) ). When I donated electronic copies of The Echoes of Heaven to all our soldiers overseas, I had a few e-mail conversations with people. I'm sure I have their addresses in my archives.

Remove ads