Dragon 353 came early!

Hussar

Legend
Sigh, overseas bloody mail. I was so jazzed when 352 ACTUALLY arrived in January. I was hoping it would stay that way. Three years of subscription and I've had exactly one issue arrive in the proper month. Grr. Besides that, now my sub's arrive in a manila envelope. That's a new one.

sckeener

First Post
Yippee...I got mine! Now I know I need to wait at least 20 days before I pester/poke Paizo. :)

Since I knew I'd be sneaking peeks at it all day today at work today, I only read about the Keepers last night.

Great job on them Shemeska!

Last edited:

Razz

Banned
Banned
Zaukrie said:
Finally, ironically, I've gotten a chance to read more of this. Great demi-plane article - this kind of article is the reason Dragon exists (as are the Demonicon articles).

The FR outsiders article and accompanying stat blocks make me pine for the old days of 1 column's worth of data to run a monster (sort of, anyway).

Nice write-up on the good-guy archonmentals - the motives/goals sections (can't remember the name at work) were good - they weren't all the same.

Yep, apparently WotC's been making their game material supremely bloated from monster write-ups to prestige classes and now magic items.

Ah...how I miss the 3.0 and early 3.5 days days of WotC's books..... :(

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Yeah; Demogorgon's probably going to be CR 32. There's a chance he'll end up at CR 33, and a smaller chance he'll end up at CR 31, but the whole series of Demonomicon articles has been based around the idea that Demogorgon's going to have the highest CR. So far, Dagon's at CR 30, and he's not quite as tough as Obox-ob or Orcus or Graz'zt, who aren't as tough as Demogorgon, so yup. Chances for CR 32 look pretty good.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Given that Obox-ob is a shadow of his former self (literally just an aspect that has managed to gain some power since the original Obox-ob was slain), he must have had quite the CR back when he was at his height.

KL

First Post
New Incubus Sucks

The new incarnation of the incubus sucks. They looked like satyrs with gazelle horns.
I like the older version where they also use guile and seduction. As usual, the same old double standards.
:mad:

sckeener

First Post
KL said:
The new incarnation of the incubus sucks. They looked like satyrs with gazelle horns.
I like the older version where they also use guile and seduction. As usual, the same old double standards.
:mad:

I think you are looking at them wrong. Guile and seduction are the domain of succubus. Don't think of the succubus as male or female but the chaotic evil corruptible essence of seduction and lust. The succubus is no more female than a rock from the abyss. Both are of the essence of the abyss. One just has more purpose (and a plan) than the other.

Yes, the incubus is very much the satyr...just a chaotic evil version. He still isn't male. It has male parts and the essence of abyss.

Also, I'd have to say there are more men in the universe with feelings similar to the incubus than there are women. It is understandable that the abyss recognized this....

on the bizarre note, I think the fiendish codex I mentioned that demons can eat an endless amount of material....and that they appear to have an endless supply of bodily fluids....makes me wonder how long a particular type of session with an incubus might last....a few days...endless?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Alzrius said:
Given that Obox-ob is a shadow of his former self (literally just an aspect that has managed to gain some power since the original Obox-ob was slain), he must have had quite the CR back when he was at his height.

or maybe he has regained most of what he once had, after having had enough time to do so. :)

James Jacobs

Adventurer
On incubi: If you want a male seducer demon, you need look no further than a succubus in male form. D&D thus had no need for a male seducer demon, but it did have need for an incubus, a demon that embodies the stereotypical aggressive lustful male. Same sin, different approach.

On Obox-ob: Yeah, he's had countless eons to rebuild his power, and my idea is that he's close to where he once was. At his height, he was likely about as powerful as Demogorgon is now (be it a CR 23, 32, or 2332 version of Demogorgon).

Remove ads