Dragon 353 came early!

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
James,

If you're making Demogorgon 32 now, then Obox-ob should have been 32 as well at his height.

Of course if we go by Krusty's assertion, I'll be happy with that too. :p :)

James Jacobs

Adventurer
sckeener said:
James,

Since you are here....what is the level adjustment for playing a Incubus?
;)

Well, comparing them to the succubus is prolly the best place to start. And a succubus has a LA of +6. The incubus has worse everything than a succubus, except that it's got a better Strength and a better Constitution. And his best spell-like ability's a 4th level spell, as opposed to the succubus who has an 8th level one.

I'd probably set the Incubus at a +4 Level Adjustment, I suppose.

Nightfall

*always wondered why people wanted to play fiends as PCs* I mean I can see some monstrous humaniods and a few abberations...

But fiends should be NPCs, if you ask me.

Or if they are PCs, they should be like the ones in charge. :p

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
James,

If you're making Demogorgon 32 now, then Obox-ob should have been 32 as well at his height.

Of course if we go by Krusty's assertion, I'll be happy with that too. :p :)

Makes sense. Of course, it's not quite where he'd be at today, but it'd be close. Obox-ob if/when he gets a Demonomicon will most likely be CR 31.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
*always wondered why people wanted to play fiends as PCs* I mean I can see some monstrous humaniods and a few abberations...

Level Adjustments for fiends are helpful when you use Leadership, so you can determine what the ECL is of a fiend you might want to take on as a cohort. But I agree on the PC front; fiends don't make good PCs. In fact, in games I run, I prefer to not let anyone play ECL levels above +1 or maybe +2. Even at +2, they tend to end up with glass jaws at higher levels, when their bonuses are relatively insignificant.

Nightfall

James,

Thanks for clarifying that LA stuff on fiends. I guess I wasn't thinking about Leadership. But back to Obox-ox, 31 eh? Not bad...but it does make sense. Again I'm waiting more impatiently for Orcus...but I guess all in good time right?

Shemeska

Adventurer
Nightfall said:

From the perspective of game mechanics, making them either balanced or effective PC's can be difficult.

But beyond the numbers, trust me when I say that a fiend PC can be an interesting experience for a DM to run, especially when the draw of their blood differs from their overt alignment, and family politics occasionally rear up. I've got a half-yugoloth PC in my current campaign with an interesting bloodline, and watching her try to avoid the manipulation and corruption from that side of her background while simultaneously being exposed to its temptations, both inner and external, have been a joy.

I wouldn't suggest it for a starting player, or for a DM who isn't up for the complexity it might bring up in game however (to say nothing of the conflict between PCs it might also cause depending on alignments and backgrounds).

[see SH2]

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Nightfall said:
*always wondered why people wanted to play fiends as PCs*

Because it's fun!

I played an incubus once (succubus stats, but a fiend who passed himself off as a male most of the time). It has its appeals.

Nightfall said:

Back in 2e I always wanted a Cambion or Alu-Fiend as a PC, yes technically they're specialized Half-Fiends and therefore more likely to be PCs.

Nightfall

Well I a tad surprised but gladdened to see some reasons beyond Shemmy's reasons. Thanks guys! Something to mull over when I start another campaign...

Remove ads