Dragon Category? I'll be much abliged!

paradox42

First Post
Without intruding on the discussion at hand at all, I'll just note in passing that I have introduced the term "Muhlatimic Dragons" in my game specifically as the name given to a breed of dragon the PCs "designed" for a "race" of beings that can create what I called "Starbeasts" in game- creatures which are themselves the size of entire planets. In other words, the Muhlatimic Dragons of my game are dragons which are planet-sized, and which the PCs not only know about but actually helped to design. They have one that orbits within a planetary system they helped create and populate, which they're hoping to keep in-system as a guardian and helper. They haven't actually talked to it much as yet.

DamienWilacoth

First Post
Without intruding on the discussion at hand at all, I'll just note in passing that I have introduced the term "Muhlatimic Dragons" in my game specifically as the name given to a breed of dragon the PCs "designed" for a "race" of beings that can create what I called "Starbeasts" in game- creatures which are themselves the size of entire planets. In other words, the Muhlatimic Dragons of my game are dragons which are planet-sized, and which the PCs not only know about but actually helped to design. They have one that orbits within a planetary system they helped create and populate, which they're hoping to keep in-system as a guardian and helper. They haven't actually talked to it much as yet.

Neheschimic dragon for that breed or simply a higher breed classification?

Have started working on the Eschatolic Dragons, in particular, the Metuselic Dragons... these guys are absolute beasts. They should hopefully have no problem keeping a party of Time Lords busy - High Lords, at higher age categories. I'm in the middle of trying to prep a sample, but the primary attributes are almost ready to be integrated. Almost ironically enough, the hardest part about designing them is coming up with Transcendental abilities that are stackable for their Bonus Transcendental Ability... ability. The only one in the Immortal's Handbook that really lends itself to that type of thing is Multidimensional.

Any ideas?

paradox42

First Post
Neheschimic dragon for that breed or simply a higher breed classification?

Have started working on the Eschatolic Dragons, in particular, the Metuselic Dragons... these guys are absolute beasts. They should hopefully have no problem keeping a party of Time Lords busy - High Lords, at higher age categories. I'm in the middle of trying to prep a sample, but the primary attributes are almost ready to be integrated. Almost ironically enough, the hardest part about designing them is coming up with Transcendental abilities that are stackable for their Bonus Transcendental Ability... ability. The only one in the Immortal's Handbook that really lends itself to that type of thing is Multidimensional.

Any ideas?
Oh, the Muhlatimic Dragons in my game aren't Nehaschimic. They're just Starbeasts (i.e. planet-sized critters) which happen to be Dragons. And so far there's only the one breed of them, and only one example of the breed actually exists as yet (though more are being created). My PC party has fought and defeated (quite soundly) Nexus Dragons of every age category, and could probably fight and defeat the other two (Quasar and Singularity) as well once I make stats for them. Muhlatimic Dragons are a breed they have designed at the cellular level, being created for them by a race of beings they know as "Makers" some of whom are large enough to create planet-sized creatures.

That's my game. The games of other DMs will very likely be radically different. :) For your Eschatolic Dragons, I'd note that even though you only have one direct example of a stackable Transcendental ability, that doesn't preclude you making one of your own. Witness how I made a Trans ability for myself out of five Cosmic abilities when I made the Firmament Dragon- if you can come up with a Trans ability that's stackable, besides Multidimensional, then go for it. :) Just be sure you post it in the Custom Abilities thread so the rest of us can use it!

DamienWilacoth

First Post
Quick Note about Eschatolic Dragon Age Categories

Based on the fact that Eschatolic Dragons are more suited to being opponents of Time Lords, I'm giving them an Aeonic ability called 'Aeonic Draconic Potential.' Essentially, this allows them to progress through ten virtual age categories before they advance into the next 'actual' age category. As Eschatolic dragons gain an age category every 48 hit dice, that would mean that one of their kind would not advance into a Very Young status until they were at around 1980 hit dice.

DamienWilacoth

First Post
Just as a quick note, I intended the Muhlatimic Dragons to be in the Omnific range. It's the Transcendental class which is missing.

That's pretty much what I'm working on, with Eschatolic Dragons skirting the border between Transcendental and Aeonic abilities, and Muhlatimic Dragons working between Aeonic and Omnific abilities. Thus, if Eschatolic Dragons can possibly challenge the entire lower range of Time Lords, then Muhlatimic Dragons should be a firm match for the higher range, and possibly even a threat to the Supreme Being in their greater age categories.

Hey all! :)

Actually been doing a bit of brainstorming and research on the dragons this afternoon and contemplating rejigging the latter orders:

Epic - Mega-sized (Castle) - average level of Ancient = 35, Dragons: Polychromatic/Arcane, Platinum/Divine, Orichalcum/Martial, Timber/Primal, Ioun/Psionic, Shadow?

Cosmic - Giga-sized (Mountain) - average level of Ancient = 43, Dragons: Void/Entropy, Cometary/Temporal, Chaos/Elemental, Stellar/Seraphim, Space/Fate, Gibbering/Lunar/Far Realm

Those two I am fine with.

The last three could do with some swopping.

The sizes would be:

Tera-sized (Planet)
Peta-sized (Star)
Exa-sized (Solar System)

The dragons would be (listed both alphabetically and in the new order I am considering):

Eschatolic - average level of Ancient = 51, Dragons: Apocalypse/Doomsday, Dream?, Iwis? (new name?), Judgement?, Kalpa? (new name?),
Nehaschimic - average level of Ancient = 59, Dragons: Black Hole, Nexus, Quasar
Muhlatimic - average level of Ancient = 67, Dragons: Brane, Mirror?

Any thoughts?

Omeganian

Explorer
The problem with Solar System sized is that at any respectable density, such a body is a black hole by definition (less than a billion km across for water). Hence the double composition of my Fate Dragons' eggshell (and their bodies, actually) - mass and negative mass which cancel each other out. Natural superdense matter of planetary volume would not have held.

Hey Omeganian mate! :)

Omeganian said:
The problem with Solar System sized is that at any respectable density, such a body is a black hole by definition (less than a billion km across for water). Hence the double composition of my Fate Dragons' eggshell (and their bodies, actually) - mass and negative mass which cancel each other out. Natural superdense matter of planetary volume would not have held.

It could be gaseous in nature...as per a nebula. Or it might be hollow with the interior mass some sort of pocket dimension.

paradox42

First Post
Dragons also have natural "supernatural" powers built into their deepest being, so nothing says they can't have antigravity embedded in their makeup so as to create shapes of solid material that should collapse under their own weight (but persistently refuse to do so).

So the current thinking, based on dragon breed names, would be Epic->Cosmic->Eschatolic->Nehaschimic->Muhlatimic? I'm gratified to see the "promotion" of the Brane/Firmament Dragon, but what's the "Mirror" breed at that level?

Remove ads