Dragonlance: Taming The Taman-Busuk

Eva of Sirrion

First Post
355 AC

The War of the Lance has drawn to a close, and peace reigns through much of Ansalon. However, the central regions of the Taman Busuk remain in turmoil. Evil creatures and men linger in the area in no small numbers. The Whitestone Council and the Solamnic Knights have decreed that the area will be scoured of the last vestiges of evil and tamed.

Much has changed in the land since the end of the war. The Solamnic Knights have regained their prestigious place as honorable defenders of good. Under the wise leadership of newly-appointed master Lord Gunthar Uth Wistan, the knight's measure has undergone considerable revision (including major provisions allowing non-Solamnics and half-elves in the knightly ranks). The Holy Orders of the Stars have reformed and offer their healing ministrations again after over three centuries of absence. Wizards still draw suspicion in some areas, but no one can deny the role they played in driving out the evil forces.

To further their ends in Central Ansalon, the knights have established 3 outposts to act as rally points. These outposts have given hope to many of the beleagured good folk in the land, and have grown into small towns in their own right. The first of the outposts is just to the south of the abandoned city of Throtl. The second just north of Jelek, and south of the fabled location of the Tower of Gargath. The third is east of Sanction, and near the dark city of Neraka. Until recently, reports from the outposts have been very well, but the reports have grown fewer in the past several months, and more vague in their content. The latest report tells of bizarre orders and commanders behaving strangely in the outpost near Throtl. The reports suggest there may be spies or enemy spellcasters infiltrating the outpost. In response, the Solamnic Knights have decided to send a party led by a veteran knight to investigate these reports. What follows is the missive giving the veteran knight his orders:

[sblock=letter]Sir Deregan O'Connor,

Greetings old friend. We are sure, by the time you read this letter, you will have heard tell of the strange doings in our outposts in the Taman-Busuk region. Vauge reports, incomplete reports, and talk of possible spies are the order of the day. You might have initially dismissed them as ramblings of a disgruntled junior official, as we were inclined to. However, the importance of the outposts demands that we give reports of this nature their due attention. Therefore, we are instructing you to gather a party of men and women of good character, journey to the outpost near Throtl, and assess the situation. We know your duties in Solace are of great import, but we need one who will investigate this potential threat thoroughly and with diligence.

Given the nature of this mission, it is critical that you speak of your true mission with no one once you reach the outpost. We know this secrecy may not sit well with you, but if there are covert operatives in the outposts, they must not be alarmed by your presence. Your and your team are to say that you are merely replacement forces, and we have have enclosed with this letter official documents to that effect. Be sure to brief your team thoroughly on this point.

May Paladine guide your way.

On behalf of the Council of Knights,
Lord Gunthar Uth Wistan [/sblock]

Taming The Taman-Busuk

You have been selected by Sir Deregan to join him on his quests to the northern outpost in the Taman-Busuk, ostensibly to serve as reinforcements for the outpost's defense forces. Your true mission though is to determine whether the reports of spies in the outpost have any truth behind them.

Starting level: 3
Alignments: any nonevil

Abilities: 4d6 drop low, reroll ones (at invisiblecastle.com, you can use the 4d6.takeHighest(3).minroll(2) command, and post the results).

Races allowed: from the PHB or Dragonlance campaign setting book (hereafter referred to as DLCS). The humans, dwarves, and half-elves in DL are essentially the same as in the PHB mechanics-wise. Dwarves are either mountain dwarves (and belong to one of the mountain dwarf clans: Hylar [highest-ranking noble clan], Daewar [warriors], Klar [advisors, servants, and warriors] or one of your own make.) or hill dwarves (all of the Neidar clan). Qualinesti elves are also the same as PHB elves. Silvanesti elves are as per grey elves in the MM in game stats and temperament. There are no halflings (replaced by the irrepressible kender) or half-orcs or drow on Krynn. Gnomes are different as well. If you want a gnome or kender character and don't have the DLCS, let me know and I'll give you the mechanical info you need.

Classes: from PHB or DLCS with a couple exceptions. The bard, sorcerer and monk do not exist in the time of the campaign. The scout (complete adventurer), favored soul (complete divine) and wu jen (complete arcane) will be allowed in their places. Scouts function as usual. Favored souls, as with all other divine casters on Krynn, are beholden to a patron deity. The wu jen (simple mage in elvish) practices a more tradional elvish style of high sorcery. They do not have the behavioral taboos of wu jen from other worlds, but are the same in all other regards.

Equipment: You receive the standard amount of steel pieces for purchasing equipment, and equipment-buying can be done before we begin. Steel is the standard of exchange on Krynn, a longsword costs 15 steel, a dagger 2 steel and so forth. Or as my character Mironallia said "100 gold and 2 copper won't buy you a cup of coffee." The values of Krynn's coins are shown below:

0.002 starmetal (aka adamantine, extremely rare)=0.01 mithral (very rare)=0.1 platinum=1 steel=2 bronze=10 silver=40 gold=100 copper

The first two coins are rare and only minted in dwarven nations. Characters can't start the game carrying these coins, but may stumble upon them in their travels.

Other questions and concerns?: lay 'em on me.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
I'm not entirely up on my DL timeline, so is this after war of the lance before war of chaos? If so then excellent. Mystics allowed?

I'm up for a DL game and would be interested. I read a bunch of DL novels up through the chaos war (Chronicles, Twins, Tales, Preludes, Villains, Heroes, a few others) but nothing after that. I'm familiar with 1e Dragonlance Adventures hardcover, a bit of Taladas, and have the 3e one but have not read a lot of it.

Eva of Sirrion

First Post
355 AC is 3 years after the end of the War of the Lance, and 28 before the star of the Summer of Chaos. Sadly, mystics don't exist yet at this time. :( The favored soul operates in much the same manner.

Velmont

First Post
Stell Legion doesn't exist yet I guess, if we are only 3 years after the War of the Lance.

I am definetly for agame of DL, and as all DL game, it need at least a kender... my favorite race. :p I reserve the kender slot of the group. I'll take back an old concept I had not teh chance to play a lot. A bit stereotypical (he is a Rogue...) but his main occupation is a cook :)

Also, I would like, if it is possible, to mix the background of the chosen characters, and not only being a a few individuals who just met. So before I create a background, i would liek top know who want ot have a kender following them :)

Bloodweaver1

First Post
This is what I got from Invis.
16, 15, 15, 13, 13, 9

I'm probably going to come up with a Knight, if not a Steel Knight then a Solmanic one. And what Knight would be complete if they did not have a Kender at thier side. Velmont, if you would like, you can link up histories with my Knight.

-Blood

Velmont

First Post
Bloodweaver1 said:
I'm probably going to come up with a Knight, if not a Steel Knight then a Solmanic one. And what Knight would be complete if they did not have a Kender at thier side. Velmont, if you would like, you can link up histories with my Knight.

No problem. Just a suggestion, like all kender, he will be under the effect of teh wanderlust that touch the kenders when the reach adulthood. If he has decided to stick with you, it must mean you have not been stationned too long in one place, and I could be your aide-de-camp, mianly taking care of your meals, as I will be a cook.

Eva, can you gives me the stats of a kender, I don't have teh campaign setting of DL since it has been released in third edition of D&D, but I know teh story well, having many novels many times and having many book AD&D edition.

Voadam

Legend
I haven't tried out the noble class yet from the DLCS so I'll probably try and see how they play out. I'll have to wait until a bit later to check on the exact class abilities and such though. Thinking a travelling elven dilletante noble concept.

What is standard starting wealth for 3rd level?

Remove ads