• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

drothgery's Victorian Eberron game - IC

Einan

First Post
Horace takes the scroll case with a nod of his head, and climbs the plank to the ship. He's carrying a rucksack made from some sort of leather and his ever-present rifle. As soon as gets aboard, he finds a quiet corner and unfurls the maps, his brow creased as he studies them.

nonamazing

Explorer
Adele has a hard time adjusting at first--the slightly uneven motion of the boat makes her a bit queasy. But by the second day she's recovered her vitality and spends her afternoon seated near the prow of the ship, impatiently watching the river roll past.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Grant

Grant walks aboard the ship, in all his noble finery. A rapier is at one hip and a pistol at the other. A small shield is strapped to his back. The sunlight glitters off his rings, and the finely crafted hilt of his rapier. He greets the captain with a smile and handshake. He stands near the railing once they are moving, feigning interest in the passing waters, while he discreetly scans the deck for any attractive and or rich women.

drothgery

First Post
There are few other passengers on the ship; casual conversation with the crew reveals that Father Mikel offered a substantial payment for the ship to leave two days early. Indeed, the route you are on is the preferred trade route to the Maradal Prinicipalities; over sea down the Cyre River to Lake Cyre, then by rail from House Jorasko's home city of Ulara to the capital. Of course, you will be disembarking well before then -- before the river truly turns south, in fact.

drothgery

First Post
Your travel on the Lyrander steamship ends abruptly, as you leave the Maria Vanatar in a small town that apparently sees just enough trade to justify stopping here, but hardly more than that. Digg's End is one of the rare permanent settlements in the Alindan Plains, for centuries the first stopping point of anyone who wants to try their hand search for ancient Cyran artifacts in what was once the Mournland.

A major earthquake in 782 AS (the current year is 830 AS) carved open a series of new chasms that many thought would lead to new discoveries. They yielded little, though, and the burst of activity has tapered off again.

Horace's map points you a few miles east of the town; apparently Aerdane's device crashed in or near one of the chasms that the earthquake carved out.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Doc disembarks, his clothes clearly marking him as a well-to-do city folk in this small, rural town. He does not act out of place, however, and does not make any obvious fool of himself.

Once everyone is gathered at the docks, he raises a question. Pulling the cigar from his mouth, he asks, "Perhaps we should ask obliquely about town for the latest word---perhaps a whisper of nefarious doings behind the cause of our journey may be revealed. I would have never have found the Irontown Fragment if it was not for some midwife in the town."

EvolutionKB

First Post
Grant

Grant steps off the ship, his knees wobble for a moment as they return to solid ground. "I agree Doc. We need information before we do much of anything. Gathering that would be area of expertise. Follow my lead okay?" Grant begins walking toward a nearby inn, waiting for the others to follow.

Einan

First Post
"I'm not much good with the speakin'. I'll jus' see about gettin' the horses fed and watered up and see how much the map is worth," Horace drawls, heading toward a stable. While there, he'll see to the horses and try to ask the stablehands about any flying ships they might or might not have seen lately.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Doc nods at Grants suggestion. As Horrance begins to leave, he whispers to all, "Just do not say anything... out of place. Folks probably not expecting anything of a 'flying' variety. Let them mention it first, do you understand?"

Doc then follows Grant's lead, assisting in the questioning.

OOC: Doc can assist on a Gather Info check.

drothgery

First Post
aid another; gather info (1d20+6=23, 1d20+8=14) Doc successuflly aids Grant's gather info check, so Grant's Gather Info is a 16.

Doc and Grant had very different methods in subtly asking questions at the town's only inn and tavern -- which seemed to serve as the main place for townspeople to gather when they weren't working. But they managed to play off each other well, and discovered a few things.

"I was waiting tables a three days ago when I head this loud BOOM. Everyone went outside to look, and something was falling out of the sky." A serving girl told Grant, delighted that he'd shown some interest in her.

"Don't rightly know what it was. It looked like one of those airships of legend were supposed to have looked -- if someone shot a hole in it." One of the handful of treasure-seekers that still came through the town told Doc.

"Heading out east? I'd be wary. Something's moved in from the south, or bubbled up from Khyber, or the Flame knows what else it could be." A grizzled frontiersman told Grant.

Remove ads