Dwarven Monk, Dwarven Defender

Grog

First Post
FalcWP said:
While the DR 2/- when using Combat Expertise is nice, the Undying Way has a number of disadvantages for you. The feats it offers (Toughness, Endurance, and Diehard) are not exactly great.

True, but he needs the first two of those feats to qualify for Dwarven Defender, so they're good for this particular build.

Legildur

First Post
takasi said:
Talk to your DM to modify the Whirling Steel Strike feat so that the Dwarven Waraxe is a monk weapon.
Can someone please provide the source for Whirling Steel Strike and a brief overview of prerequisites and benefits? Thinking in advance for a character I have (currently Mnk2).

wolfpunk

First Post
By core plus unearthed arcana, I mean phb, dmg, mm, and unearthed arcana.

Whirling steel strike from eberron would be cool, but if we were using eberron, I could use a warforged or a shifter for their DR abilities.

That being said, maybe I could get him to allow a feat.

shilsen

Adventurer
Legildur said:
Can someone please provide the source for Whirling Steel Strike and a brief overview of prerequisites and benefits? Thinking in advance for a character I have (currently Mnk2).
Eberron Campaign Setting. You can treat a longsword as a monk weapon, which means you can flurry with it.

Prereqs are Martial Weapon Proficiency and W. Focus with the longsword, and the flurry of blows class feature.

Magesmiley

Explorer
wolfpunk said:
By core plus unearthed arcana, I mean phb, dmg, mm, and unearthed arcana.

Whirling steel strike from eberron would be cool, but if we were using eberron, I could use a warforged or a shifter for their DR abilities.

That being said, maybe I could get him to allow a feat.

Well, if you can get him to allow the Roll With It feat from Savage Species, the best route for uber-DR is to go straight dwarven fighter/dwarven defender.

Assuming you manage a CON of 20 (18 +2 for being dwarf) at first level:

1: Fighter
Toughness (Roll With It pre-req)
2 flaws
Roll With It x2 (DR 4/-)
Fighter Feat
2: Fighter
Fighter Feat
3: Fighter
Roll With It (DR 6/-)
4: Fighter
Fighter Feat
5: Fighter
6: Fighter
Endurance (Dwarven Defender pre-req)
Dodge (Dwarven Defender pre-req)
7: Fighter
8: Dwarven Defender
9: Dwarven Defender
Roll With It (DR 8/-)
10: Dwarven Defender
11: Dwarven Defender
12: Dwarven Defender
Roll With It (DR 10/-)
13: Dwarven Defender (DR 13/-)
14: Dwarven Defender
15: Dwarven Defender
Roll With It (DR 15/-)
16: Dwarven Defender
17: Dwarven Defender (DR 18/-)
18: Fighter
Fighter Feat
Roll With It (DR 20/-)

If you need other combat feats, you can always dip a few more levels of fighter as necessary.

Legildur

First Post
shilsen said:
Eberron Campaign Setting. You can treat a longsword as a monk weapon, which means you can flurry with it.

Prereqs are Martial Weapon Proficiency and W. Focus with the longsword, and the flurry of blows class feature.
Thanks Shilsen. Eberron heh? I guess I won't be asking the DM then. We don't like to lift stuff from setting material - like Forgotten Realms, Eberron etc.

wolfpunk

First Post
Wow Magesmiley, DR 20/- is awesome, too bad Savage Species is not an option, thanks though, I will definitely file that away for another day.

Remove ads