Eadric et. al. (The Paladin and his Friends).

grodog

Hero
CR28?!?

Wow, the heat sure has been turned up: with Titivilus and cohorts in train, as well as Irknaan and his courtly retinue, plus Soneillon, Graz'zt, and Rhyxali's schemes in motion....

Ugh. I fear for our heroes :(

Last edited:

Olive

Explorer
Sepulchrave II said:
Mostin’s Enmity of Devils (to follow)

Mostin’s Diminishing Prognostication (to follow)

Mostin's Myopic Emanation (to follow)

Mostin's Insidious Probe (to follow)

Mostin’s Ray of Wizening (to follow)

Mostin’s Ecstasy of Revelation (to follow)

not to be a pain, and knowing you're away, but any chance of getting the rest of these? Please?

A part-time PC

Shomei

Human Wizard (Conjurer) 20; medium sized humanoid; HD 20d4+20; hps 72; Init +1 (+1 Dex); Speed 30 ft; AC 21 (+1 Dex, +6 Armour, +4 Deflection); Attack: BAB: +10/+5; +11/+6 (MW Dagger) Dmg: 1d4 (19-20/x2) (Dagger), SV Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +15; AL N(LN); Str 10, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 26 (32), Wis 16, Cha 17.

Intelligence includes a +5 inherent bonus.

Languages: Common, Draconic, Undercommon, Giant, Sylvan, Celestial, Abyssal, Infernal, Auran, Ignan, Terran, Aquan, Elven

Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) +64, Knowledge (The Planes) +34, Knowledge (Local, Hell) +34, Knowledge (History) +24, Knowledge (Religion) +24, Spellcraft +64, Craft (Jeweler) +26, Scry +34, Profession (Law) +26, Concentration +54, Ride +9, Sense Motive +13, Diplomacy +12, Gather Information +8.

Feats: Scribe Scroll, Craft Wondrous Item, Quicken Spell., Extend Spell, Spell Focus (Conjuration), Greater Spell Focus (Conjuration), Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, Empower Spell, Sanctum Spell, Augmented Summoning, Enlarge Spell, Heighten Spell.

Spells: 4/7/7/7/6/6/6/6/5/5 per day. Specialty: Conjuration (+1 spell/level/day). Prohibited: Evocation.

Known:

0 Level Spells: All Nonprohibited PHB Cantrips.

1st-Level Spells: Change Self, Charm Person, Mage Armor, Obscuring Mist, Know Protections, Net of Shadows, Negative Energy Ray, Mount, Grease ,True Strike, Enlarge, Expeditious Retreat, Spider Climb, Nystul’s Magic Aura, Shield, Sleep, Animate Rope, Chromatic Orb, Erase.

2nd-Level Spells: Bull’s Strength, Cat’s Grace, Endurance, Fox’s Cunning, Owl’s Wisdom, Eagle’s Splendour, Detect Thoughts, Hypnotic Pattern, Invisibility, Resist Elements, See Invisibility, Arcane Lock, Gaze Screen, Web, Fog Cloud, Glitterdust, Locate Object, Blur, Minor Image, Ghoul Touch, Scare, Spectral Hand, Whispering Wind.

3rd-Level Spells: Avoid Planar Effects, Dispel Magic, Displacement, Fly, Haste, Nondetection, Flame Arrow, Mestil’s Acid Breath, Phantom Steed, Sepia Snake Sigil, Sleet Storm, Stinking Cloud, Analyze Portal, Arcane Sight, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Tongues, Hold Person, Suggestion, Shadow Cache, Halt Undead, Blink, Greater Magic Weapon, Slow.

4th-Level Spells: Charm Monster, Dimension Door, Dimensional Anchor, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Remove Curse, Stoneskin, Zone of Respite, Solid Fog, Summon Monster IV, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Phantasmal Killer, Polymorph Self, Improved Invisibility, Hallucinatory Terrain, Shadow Conjuration, Shadow Well, Contagion, Enervation, Fear, Bestow Curse, Dimension Door, Fire Stride, Polymorph Other, Scramble Portal.

5th-Level Spells: Cloudkill, Dismissal, Mordenkainen’s Private Sanctum, Lesser Planar Binding, Wall of Iron, Wall of Stone, Contact Other Plane, Prying Eyes, Dominate Person, Feeblemind, Hold Monster, Dream, Nightmare, Seeming, Shadowfade, Magic Jar, Fabricate, Summon Undead V, Ghost Form, Permanency, Teleport, Telekinesis.

6th-Level Spells: Antimagic Field, Gate Seal, Disintegrate, Globe of Invulnerability, Greater Dispelling, Mass Haste, Guards and Wards, Repulsion, Acid Fog, Planar Binding, Analyze Dweomer, True Seeing, Mass Suggestion, Shades, Veil, Circle of Death, Trollish Fortitude, Disintegrate, Energy Transformation Field, Eyebite, Fiendform, Flesh to Stone, Make Manifest, Move Earth, Stone to Flesh, Tenser’s Transformation.

7th-Level Spells: Banishment, Energy Immunity, Sequester, Spell Turning, Drawmij’s Instant Summons, Summon Monster VII, Power Word, Stun, Spell Turning, Teleport Without Error, Greater Scrying, Shadow Walk, Simulacrum, Elemental Body, Reverse Gravity, Plane Shift, Limited Wish.

8th-Level Spells: Dimensional Lock, Greater Planar Binding, Power Word Blind, Trap the Soul, Discern Location, Antipathy, Binding, Demand, Screen, Mass Manifest, Horrid Wilting, Maze, Mind Blank, Polymorph Any Object, Symbol.

9th-Level Spells: Dominate Monster, Wish, Gate, Power Word Kill, Elminster’s Effulgent Epuration, Summon Monster IX, Prismatic Sphere, Astral Projection, Wail of the Banshee

Possessions: Robe of Stars, Dimensional Shackles, Ring of Protection +4, Bracers of Armour +6, Crystal Ball, Stone of Sendings, Shomei’s Rod, Jovol’s Arcane Bracelet, Ebony Fly, Ring of Sustenance.

Shomei’s Rod (Minor Artifact)

This slender and ornate metal rod, some forty inches long, is of unknown construction but is marked by exquisite craftsmanship and detail. It is a versatile metamagic rod with a number of other functions in addition. It may empower, extend, or triply heighten any spell of 1st to 9th level, each function usable once per day as the metamagic feat of the same name. Spells enhanced by the rod may only have one of the rod’s metamagics applied to them at any one time, although regular metamagic feats may still apply in addition.

The rod’s special functions are directed towards extraplanar creatures. Against attacks from outsiders, the rod grants SR30 and a +5 resistance bonus to all saving throws, and all enchantment (compulsion) spells cast by the rod’s wielder against outsiders enjoy a +4 bonus to penetrate their SR. Once per day, the rod’s owner may invoke a dominate effect (heightened to 12th level, Save DC 28) on any single outsider, in order to compel servitude from it. Finally, when attempting to bargain with any creature who is confined by any of the planar binding spells, the wielder may subject the captive creature to torment (no Save or SR), conferring a -6 circumstance penalty to the creature’s opposed Charisma check. Tormented creatures tend to bear considerble ill-will towards the rod’s wielder after their service has expired.

Caster Level 23rd; weight 2lbs.

Stone of Sendings

The owner of this small, unremarkable stone can issue a sending at will as the 5th level sorcerer/wizard spell.

Caster Level: 9th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, sending; Market Price 90,000 gp.

Jovol’s Arcane Bracelet

This silver bracelet, presumably constructed by Jovol himself, shapes itself to most comfortably fit its wearer. Whilst worn, it grants a +30 bonus to all Knowledge (arcana), Concentration and Spellcraft skill checks.

Every day, the bracelet’s owner can recall up to 20 levels of spells that she has already cast during that day, in a similar manner to Mordenkainen’s lucubration. The twenty levels may be split as the wearer sees fit over the course of the day: for example, the bracelet’s wearer could recall a meteor swarm, three dispel magics and a web, assuming all of these spells had been already cast at least once. Spells raised beyond 9th level by metamagic feats may be recalled, but Epic spells may not. If the spell recalled normally requires an expensive material component and/or an XP cost, the caster must meet these as usual.

Noir

Explorer
ROD!

WOW! Now that's one hell of a rod!

Jovol's Arcane Bracelet isn't that bad either, though I would say she got the least interesting item from Jovol.

Last edited:

Noir

Explorer
Shomei's Intelligence.

Int 26 (32)
Intelligence includes a +5 inherent bonus.
Possessions: Robe of Stars, Dimensional Shackles, Ring of Protection +4, Bracers of Armour +6, Crystal Ball, Stone of Sendings, Shomei’s Rod, Jovol’s Arcane Bracelet, Ebony Fly, Ring of Sustenance.

Have you just forgotten to write "Headband of Intellect +6" among her possessions?

Last edited:

S... sw... sweeeeet. Thank you Sepulchrave. Shomei is by far my favorite Wyre NPC.

There is one thing that puzzles me, however. When she called (or gated?) Titivilus for the last time, I seem to recall that she triggered her Chain Contingency to cast three spells to prepare herself: Haste, Stoneskin, and Mindblank, I think. Anyway, I've never seen Chain Contingency in any 3rd edition book, but I assume it's a more powerful version of the level 6 spell in the PHB? If so, it's an evocation spell, which she shouldn't have been able to cast. I notice it's not in her spell list, so I suppose you hadn't written her character sheet back then.
I'm not criticizing, mind you. I'm just childishly proud I noticed this before anyone else did. :D

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
Rary the Traitor said:
Anyway, I've never seen Chain Contingency in any 3rd edition book, but I assume it's a more powerful version of the level 6 spell in the PHB? If so, it's an evocation spell, which she shouldn't have been able to cast. I notice it's not in her spell list, so I suppose you hadn't written her character sheet back then.
I'm not criticizing, mind you. I'm just childishly proud I noticed this before anyone else did. :D

Chain Contingency
Sets trigger condition for three other spells.
Source: Tome & Blood
School: Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: At least 10 minutes (see text)
Range: Personal
Area, Target or Effect: You
Duration: 1 day/level or until discharged
Saving Throws: None
Spell Resistance: No
You can place three other spells upon your person so that the latter spells comes into effect under some condition you dictate when casting chain contingency. The chain contingency spell and the companion spells are cast at the same time. The 10-minute casting time is the minimum total for all castings; if a companion spell has a casting time longer than 10 minutes, use that casting time instead.

The spells to be brought into effect by the chain contingency must be ones that affects your person (feather fall, levitate, fly, teleport, and so forth) and be of a spell level no higher than one-third your caster level (rounded down, maximum 6th level).

The conditions needed to bring the spells into effect must be clear, although they can be general. In all cases, the chain contingency immediately brings into effect the second spell, the latter being "cast" instantaneously when the prescribed circumstances occur. The third and fourth spells can be cast simultaneously or one at a time, one per round. Note that if complicated or convoluted conditions are prescribed, the whole spell combination (chain contingency and the companion magic) may fail when called on. The companion spells occur based solely on the stated conditions, regardless of whether you want it to.

You can use only one chain contingency spell at a time; if a second is cast, the first one (if still active) is dispelled.

Material Components: Those of the companion spells, plus quicksilver and an eyelash of an ogre mage, ki-rin, or similar spell-using creature.

Focus: a statuette of you, carved from elephant ivory and decorated with gems (worth at least 1,500 gp). You must carry the focus for the chain contingency to work.

I love having my online "webspellopedia". (May I had Mostin's spells to it, by the way :D ?)

Shomei may had had a special method of casting chain contingency. Dunno -- she may have used a limited wish to be allowed to use a scroll, for example...

grodog

Hero
wowza!

Shomei = nice! :D

Didn't she recently mention to Mostin that she had some unique spells? I don't see them in her list (and would, of course, love to check them out sometime).

Thanks for all of the updates in the past few days Sep. Keep 'em coming :D

tleilaxu

First Post
Thanks for Shomei Sep. I've been hoping to see her for a while. I guess I was wrong about Jovol's Bracelet being the catalyst for his transformation into a Ogre Magi :p

Since that apparently isn't going to come up in the game I'd like to ask: What kind of rules do you use for such a transformation?

Anyway, I've never seen Chain Contingency in any 3rd edition book, but I assume it's a more powerful version of the level 6 spell in the PHB? If so, it's an evocation spell, which she shouldn't have been able to cast. I notice it's not in her spell list, so I suppose you hadn't written her character sheet back then.

:eek: Yep, a minor inconsistency.

My initial conception of Shomei was as a generalist - I only had her detailed in rough terms. As the characters - notably Mostin - began to interact more with her, and her character became more fleshed out, I'd begun to peg her as a Conjurer (evocation barred). The final character sheet wasn't drawn up until January or February.

So I think it's safe to assume she used a one-use item for the chain contingency. ;)

With most of the powerful mages I generally assume at least some additional scrolls, potions etc. are available as needed and not recorded on the character sheet. Even more so in Shomei's case - she is fabulously rich - her mansion and estate alone are worth more than 2 million gp.

Have you just forgotten to write "Headband of Intellect +6" among her possessions?

Oops. Well spotted.

Didn't she recently mention to Mostin that she had some unique spells? I don't see them in her list (and would, of course, love to check them out sometime).

They are still on the drawing-board, only half-developed.

The celestial aegis is an 8th level-spell which protects against spells, spell-like abilities and supernatural attacks of summoned or called evil outsiders. It has the [good] descriptor - Goetia and all that.

This hour a millennium long (Enchantment (Charm) [Mind-affecting]) is a high level spell, designed to target outsiders who are already bound in a thaumaturgic circle. The passage of time for those within the pentacle changes drastically, and they believe their captivity to be much longer than it actually is. They tend to be more cooperative.

Fiendish charm = bonus on all charisma-related skill checks when dealing with evil outsiders.

Imperceptibility to devils - like it says.

Sanction. Bestows a temporary mark, visible only to devils, which they perceive as a sign of favour with their Arch-devil masters. I'd like to develop this whole mechanic some more, but I never seem to have time.

Remove ads