• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron It Is? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

As I said in the other thread, the question is now whether we're just going to see DMs Guild and PDF support, or whether, once the psionic and artificer rules are set, we'll be seeing something more substantial in the way of an actual published book. I have a feeling that once the necessary rules are in place (with a likely rules expansion book early next year for new classes and races), we'll...

As I said in the other thread, the question is now whether we're just going to see DMs Guild and PDF support, or whether, once the psionic and artificer rules are set, we'll be seeing something more substantial in the way of an actual published book. I have a feeling that once the necessary rules are in place (with a likely rules expansion book early next year for new classes and races), we'll be seeing a full book, and this is just to whet the appetite and get things started...

kbrakke

First Post
I was already excited enough for Ravnica, but getting this on this day was basically the best possible. Reading over the guide now, it is very spicy. I love it.

The writeups on all the races is perfect. Warforged definitely give that first read WOW! with their armor shifting abilities, but after actually thinking of the numbers, I am less impressed. Very good if no magic armors exist, but not out of wack. (Though a baseline 22 AC at level 17 is pretty nice for those str warforged)

Changelings are very nice, love the new alter-ego trait. But as a DM I am always warry of letting the players run wild with the shape change ability.

I skimmed the full section on Sharn that they have (Another A+ from me, Sharn is the #1 city in the multiverse, fight me) having run several games there it meets my goals of having information for DMs and these wonderful sections with just ideas for why players are there, what you can do with the locations, stories that might start there. Things that get the creative juices flowing even if you're not just setting an adventure in Sharn or Eberron.

Also, that magic item section. More common items that make Eberron feel like the magical industrial revolution happened. I wish I had that idea for Glammerweave rather than my dull persuasion and perfomance bonus. The writeup on Eldritch Machines as plot devices and some examples. Absolutely beautiful.

I have not gotten to reading the dragonmarks yet, but honestly, this has far exceeded any of my expectations.

I could have lived my life if they never updated Eberron for 5e, I am perfectly capable of using the same places and names and plots as the 3.5 book. And honestly until now I didn't feel the clamor for "Update my favorite setting x" was reasonable, to say nothing of the bizarre vitriol aimed at Ravnica. But if all the settings updates are on the level of this one, I understand wanting more. Frankly, if this is an indication for how they will do their setting books going forward, then I'm even more exited for the Ravnica book than I was before.

Current rating - Things that I have read 9/10 - Still need to read dragonmarks.

Edit: Just started on dragonmarks. They replace subrace for some races or make a new variant//subrace for others. Everyone can start at level 1 with a dragonmark and I love how they did it. So far so good.

Edit2: Intuition dice are granted by the marks to give you a bonus to skills. If you gain multiple instances of intuition on a skill the die size increases. Given that I love the dice chain idea of Dungeon Crawl Classics, this is such an easy sell for me. Love it.

Edit3: And the dragonmarks actually alter your racial score bonuses. This truly makes the dragonmark a part of your character concept. It's perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:

lkj

Hero
So it's 150 pages of fluff?
That you can already get? That all of you crying for this setting no doubt already have?

Meh.

I presume you've seen the table of contents at this point and realize it's not 150 pages of fluff (I presume the races, backgrounds, and dragonmarks aren't fluff). And I was wrong on the page count (176), since I was too dense to look at the product page.

AD

Eirikrautha

First Post
Hmmm, I seem to remember someone from WotC suggesting that grognards would be happy with this release. "Grognard" = French for Napolean's "Old Guard." Old guard does not translate to me as a setting developed for 3.5.

That said, Keith Baker is a talented dude and produces some good stuff. Still, I havent seen anything compelling in this setting to offset the opportunity cost of the new mechanics (dragon marks), et al.

This will be the second book they've published that I won't buy (with the first being the Ravnica one announced today). Oh well, I guess they'll get around to the other settings I want to see. It just irritates me that I can get Ravnica or Ebberon stuff on DMsGuild, but not Spelljammer, Planescape, or Greyhawk. Open them all...

I haven't got the PDF yet since I'm at work, but I noticed with that posted TOC it doesn't have a Kalashtar entry in it. And I suspect that's because they're tied to the still in development Psionic rules.

I feel that the statement "which will serve to collect feedback on adjusted races, dragon marks, new backgrounds and more" is also sort of a way of saying "hold on and wait while we complete the Artificer and other things". In some ways it feels like this will be a beta version or the equivalent of Steam Early Access.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
This is an odd move to me.

I feel like there will be a lot of people who like both Ravnica and Eberron and lots who like neither.

I would have thought (and hoped) that they would release 2 settings which are very different from each other.

Alas I have struck out on these releases but congrats to those who are getting what they wanted.

LizardWizard00

Explorer
So it's 150 pages of fluff?
That you can already get? That all of you crying for this setting no doubt already have?

Meh.
fortunately you are wrong on this one. Quite a bit of crunch with the needed fluff. Campaign settings aren't my thing, but I might pass this on to my DM so we can use the player content

iltharanos

Explorer
I haven't got the PDF yet since I'm at work, but I noticed with that posted TOC it doesn't have a Kalashtar entry in it. And I suspect that's because they're tied to the still in development Psionic rules.

I feel that the statement "which will serve to collect feedback on adjusted races, dragon marks, new backgrounds and more" is also sort of a way of saying "hold on and wait while we complete the Artificer and other things". In some ways it feels like this will be a beta version or the equivalent of Steam Early Access.

The Kalashtar are actually in there, I'm looking at them right now. It looks like they were erroneously excluded from the TOC.

Remove ads

Remove ads