• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron Novel: The City of Towers?

Flyspeck23

First Post
Ishamael said:
It seems like you didn't like it for the same reasons I DID like it. Daine was a soldier, a captain even, and yes, he gets his butt kicked. In my opinion, that makes him far more believable and interesting than the drow who carves through an army of giants or an archmage who dispatches dozens of orcs at a time.

He has his falts. He has his weaknesses. He was the commander of the fighting force, not the fighting force himself.

That's Pierce's job. ;)

My sentiments exactly (and even Pierce isn't that over-the-top). A refreshing detour from the usual fantasy heroes.

Flyspeck23

First Post
Hand of Evil said:
FYI Marked for Death: The Lost Mark Book 1 by Matt Forbeck is on the shelves.

And has been for quite some time. Got mine more than a week ago :)

I like City of Towers better (both plot and characters).

Marked for Death has some whacky interpretations of healing in the Mournlands: Cure spells are at half power (oh?), repair spells are at half power (oh?).
I could rant a bit about that book, but I won't, becauseI'm too lazy using spoilers right now ;)
(Then again, it isn't a bad book, it's IMHO just not as good as City of Towers.)

Drengy

Explorer
I just finished this tonight. Wanted to add my positive review to the thread. Very fun read, and it's got me dying to play an Eberron campaign. My current campaign is in FR, but I've convinced my DM to allow me to introduce a warforged character into the mix. Can't wait.

I recommend the book to anyone who likes D&D books - it's definitely one of the better ones (that I've read anyway).

Pants

First Post
I'm still not done with the book yet, but I'm pretty close to the ending. Overall, so far it's pretty enjoyable and it paints a very good picture of Sharn. It is nice to see a hero that simply can't win every fight and the fact that there are so many shady characters that might or might not be on the hero's sides is really refreshing.

My biggest complaints? The book needs to be re-edited... badly. There's a few cliche scenes that I felt the book could've done without, but that's nitpicking really (like
Flamewind, the prophet that knows a lot but will only relay the info with riddles and puzzles... I hate characters like that
).

Overall, very good so far.

Klaus

First Post
Flamewind is also featured in Sharn: City of Towers. It helps paint a more complete (albeit no less misterious) image of her

Remove ads