EB's Tyranny of Dragons - OOC (full)

EarlyBird

Explorer
I am at Dragonsfoot looking into different things, and found a crit system that is 1e I might see if the group wants to use. Thee was a INIT system where rounds were broken down into segments and they had a large list of what you can do in a segment.

I was thinking of using that for surprise segments when needed.

Leif

Adventurer
EB, I have played 1E on PBP a bit, but not that much, really. I don't know of anything specific that has been known to cause problems. My eyes are probably at least as old as yours if not older. 1E combat is not inscrutable, you just have to think it through. I DMed 1E for years, when that was the only system there was, and the latest and greatest thing. My recommendation is to keep it the way it is, and run it by the book. It can work, and if you follow the rules, it will work. Starting to use add-ons and variants will just make it even more complex.

I am at Dragonsfoot looking into different things, and found a crit system that is 1e I might see if the group wants to use. Thee was a INIT system where rounds were broken down into segments and they had a large list of what you can do in a segment.

I was thinking of using that for surprise segments when needed.

I can't imagine a segment by segment system being a good idea in PbP when people might not post for 4-5 days at a time. Side vs Side initiative always works best in PbP regardless of game system.

Leif

Adventurer
Agreed, but in a surprise situation, you have to go segment by segment until you get to the initiative roll. Usually, that's only one or two segments, and you've only got one side acting.

Segments are just crazy. You can't do anything in 1-2 segments. Swinging a sword is more than 2 segments if you use weapon speed factors. The complexity is very high for little gain.

EarlyBird

Explorer
We are going by the books to start. I have PHB, DMG, UA, OA, MM, MM2, FF, and Deities and DemiGods (D&D haha). And this is the base for how we will play.

I have been over at Dragonsfoot and looking at other sites (and facebook groups), looking for examples, refreshing my memory, found a great Question and Answers pdf featuring Gary Gygax, (how I learned about the HP of Sebastian).

Later if we find something really not working we will discuss how to houserule it for pbp. But AD&D being so basic I think we shouldn't run into to much trouble.

Leif

Adventurer
Segments are just crazy. You can't do anything in 1-2 segments. Swinging a sword is more than 2 segments if you use weapon speed factors. The complexity is very high for little gain.

A segment is 6 seconds long in 1E rules, or 1 tenth of a 1 minute melee round.

segment=6 seconds
round=1 minute
turn=10 minutes

And the sky is blue. Why are you quoting information that has been part of my existence for about 40 years at me?

I will admit, I've never used surprise and never had a DM who used it.

Leif

Adventurer
But you said this just a couple of posts ago, which is at odds with an understanding of the proper length of a 1E Segment:

Okay, mea culpa. Two things are at play here. Conflating 1e and 2e and all the house rules I never realized were house rules.

BUT what I was trying to say in the part you quoted was that breaking things into segments wouldn't be PbP friendly. (This was before I read the actual Surprise rules in the DMG last night apparently for the first time. As I didn't know surprise could really f--k you up as opponents get 1-3 physical attacks in on you. No wonder we didn't play that way.) 2e had rules for breaking stuff down by segment and that seems PbP unfriendly when one side goes, than the other is used in almost all game systems when one plays PbP.

And reading the actual rules again reminds me that I need to get Tina an offhand weapon. She would rock with it.

Remove ads