Elysium Squad OOC

Bront

The man with the probe
Nonlethal Force said:
That's weird .. works fine on my end. But if it is causing people trouble I can take them out of Sblocks. I was just trying to conserve space. Thanks for letting me know.
That looks good, and uses about the same space actualy.

You could probably put them all in one code block to save a little space though.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Bront said:
That looks good, and uses about the same space actualy.

You could probably put them all in one code block to save a little space though.

I tried that, and didn't like the look as much. It was a bit too jumbled together. I ended up just spacing them apart so they were easier to read .. and by that time I might as well just keep them in code blocks. But thanks for the thought!

Ferrix

Explorer
Exam went well...

I'll try to take some time friday to put up a character.

Also, Spell Focus (Good, Evil, Lawful, Chaotic) are updated in Complete Divine to +1 to DC's.

Eluvan

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
I thought that when I typed it in ... but the book said 2. I can't find BoED errata on the wizards site, though. Also, I am completely unfamiliar with 3.0. [Jumped straight from 2e to 3.5] Was Spell Focus a +2 in 3.0? Because if that's the case, then clearly if Spell Focus was minimized to a +1 in 3.5 that it should be the same for Spell Focus (Good). The other thing I was thinking about is if it is at a +2 to counteract something specific in the BoVD - which I do not own.

And as far as the celestial familiar, Eluvan, of course that is approved. I'll let you do up the stat block of your own familiar, if there even was a question about that. The rules for familiar creation are all pretty standard anyway as HP is based off of master .. etc. So as you are coming up with your character go ahead and do the familiar as well. [Unless, of course, the character doesn't have the familiar and that is something that needs to be worked into the game in the future.]

Yup, 3.0 Spell Focus feats are +2. As Ferrix confirmed, it should be +1 in 3.5, and as of Complete Divine that's official.

Regarding the familiar... I won't be taking the feat for a while yet, cos I want a Lantern Archon and, coveniently enough, if all goes to plan I'll be getting a bonus Exalted feat from the Exalted Arcanist PrC around about the required level 7 to get one. So for now my character will have no familiar.

Haven't had a chance yet to look over the cosmological info you put up, but I'm going to do so now. I'll get back to you with some feedback!

engrishonly

First Post
I just had a test today, and have a huge exam on Monday... so I'll probably drink now & maybe tinker with my character tomorrow since I know I have some time to work on it.

I'll be looking over the background info for the setting... IMO, better to have too much as long as I can muck around in it with my character's background. Gives me more flavor to spice up my character's psychology :)

Eluvan

First Post
Cool, I like it. :)

It also brought Bahamut to my attention as a deity probably quite closely allied with Pelor. Which is cool, since my character undoubtedly has plenty of love for Bahamut.

The only couple of things I might quibble with are the placing of St. Cuthbert in the family of Domination (I would argue his attitude is closer to Righteousness) and the placement of Boccob in the family of Spontaneous Magic - I'm not sure what reccomends that rather than Organized Magic.

Otherwise it's all good, and it gives me plenty to get excited about. :D

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Eluvan said:
Cool, I like it. :)

I am glad. It took several attempts. I tried to do it using the planes .. but that was a major headache. Then I tried doing something by alignment and that was also a headache. Then I tried to do it by "One greater diety attached to so many intermediate, lesser, and deimigods." That was a monstrous mistake! Finally i just sat down and did it by schools and portfolis. As I said, there are a few I wasn't greatly pleased with ... but ...

Eluvan said:
It also brought Bahamut to my attention as a deity probably quite closely allied with Pelor. Which is cool, since my character undoubtedly has plenty of love for Bahamut.

Yes, Bahamut was one of those that I didn't know where to throw him. Hd doesn't quite fit anywhere, but I thought he fit best in either Righteousness or Protective Healing. While Bahamut is clearly interested in the righteous (and thus could fit there) I thought reading through his porfolio in the CD that protection and restitution of the downtrodden are key elements. So I went with Protective Helaing. He really could have gone either way.

Eluvan said:
The only couple of things I might quibble with are the placing of St. Cuthbert in the family of Domination (I would argue his attitude is closer to Righteousness) and the placement of Boccob in the family of Spontaneous Magic - I'm not sure what reccomends that rather than Organized Magic.

Yeah ... I was thnking about that. In truth, the Domination family grouping is always one that I struggled with. The question is what else to do with Halmyr and Joramy, really. Yes, I could just get rid of them. But ... if I want to keep them around - Halmyr clearly belongs with the Righteousness if not in the Domination. Which, I would agree with you that St. Cuthbert would also belong there. That makes a family of five - larger than any other. But that isn't so much a problem as what do do with Joramy. Joramy fits nowhere except with St. Cuthbert and Halmyr. I suppose I could have a family of 6 and put them all in Righteousness. But I didn't want a family that large - it could get bulky. So I did 2 families. Although, come to think about it ... what if I changed the Domination title to Retribution. I think I will do that. Although it technically changes nothing .. that puts a slightly different approach to the gathering. And reading through the portfolis I think they all fit well into Retribution - and thereful can stand apart (although beside) the family of Righteousness. Thanks for asking and getting me to think through that title a bit more. How does Retribution feel instead of Domination?

Now, as far as Boccob goes. I intentionally wanted to seperate Wee Jas and Boccob. While Boccob is clearly Neutral and thus could certainly has many wizards who follow him he is clearly more chaotic than Wee Jas. The fact that his granted domains include Trickery whereas Wee Jas grants Law demonstrates a touch of the chaotic in Boccob. But I do understand where you are arguing. Perhaps the problem again is in the title. Rather than Organized/Spontaneous Magic, perhaps I should have two other polar categories. I'm open for suggestions.

Eluvan said:
Otherwise it's all good, and it gives me plenty to get excited about. :D

Good. Keep any thoughts coming. As all worlds go ... the more the world is explored, the more detailed the information will need to be.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
engrishonly said:
... so I'll maybe tinker with my character tomorrow since I know I have some time to work on it.

I'll be looking over the background info for the setting... IMO, better to have too much as long as I can muck around in it with my character's background. Gives me more flavor to spice up my character's psychology :)

Tinker away, engrishonly. Your character has much of the stat work already completed, so at this point it is only minor scale changes and flavor text anyway. I'll look foreard to what you grab hold of wen it comes to the world information.

Eluvan

First Post
With the title changed from domination to retribution, I completely concur with St. Cuthbert's placing in that group. :)

As for Boccob... yeah, I think the problem is one of nomenclature. Spontaneous Magic implies a special predeliction for Sorcerors, which Boccob doesn't seem particularly to have. But I do agree, on reflection, that he and Wee Jas should be seperated.

One idea might simply be to drop the names. It's good that the families have a common theme, but I'm not sure it should be used as a name or even that they should have a name. I just can't imagine someone saying IC 'I pay homage to all the deities of the Protective Healing family' or whatever, though the association would be recognised and implicit.

See where I'm coming from?

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Yeah, I see where you are coming from. I never really thought of these as IC designations - more or less what pulled them together. Most of the names come from their related domains. Perhaps I could just call them "Mage/Psionics 1" and "Mage/Psionics 2" :p I'm not altogether happy with the designation magic either as that leaves out psionics ... by name at least.

Remove ads