Elysium Squad OOC

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Bront - got a chance to take a look over the character. Everything looks good, except two simple questions. 1 - I think you forgot the Tumble synergy to Balance. You got the rest of the synergies, though. 2 - I noticed you left out the +2 to the CHA related checks from feat we discussed. Any reason why? The background looks good ... like you said just the simple things left to flesh out. But ... nice build. Any build that lets you get away with that many 1st level feats is indeed nice (Even if 2 of them are built into the class).

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Eonthar - just got a chance to look at your character sheet as well. Looks pretty good, as long as I am remembering correctly that your character started out pladin and then went sorcerer. If I have that backwards, then some of your skill ranks are also backwards. Now as for feat choices from the BoED. It depends on where you plan on going witht he rest of the character. Here's a few suggestions. I realize that being a sorcerer might not be great for the metamagics, but I'll include them anyway:

Consecrate spell: Adds good descriptor to a spell, spell increases 1 level. Additionally, half the damage is from a divine source and thus cannot be reduced by resistance or immunities.

Purify Spell: Adds good descriptor to the spell. Furthermore, neutral creatures take 1/2 damage (1/4 with save) while good creatures take no damage. Evil outsiders take extra damage in that the damage die for the spell is increased by one using the standard increase. (d6 becomes d8, d8 becomes 2d6, etc). For example ... A 7th level wizard who casts a purified lightning bolt does 7d6 damage to evil creatures, half that to neutral creatures, no damage to good creatures, and 7d8 damage to evil outsiders. This uses one spell slot higher.

Hands of a Healer: Increases CHA by 2 for the purpose of Lay on Hands ability

Spell Focus (Good): DCs for Good spells cast increase by 2.

Of course, there are the Vow feats, but outside of Vow of Poverty I don't think any would benefit you. And to be honest, I'm not sure Vow of Poverty would be worth it for your character except for the AC boost. But, Vow of Poverty would require you to take Sacred Vow first ... then Vow of Poverty. So you would really need to free up 2 slots.

There is one feat you might want to keep in mind for later use:
Celestial Familiar: allows the character to call a celestial version of any creature that can normally be called as a familiar. To acquire a Celestial Familiar you must be at least 3rd spellcaster level and able to call a new familiar. At 7th level you can instead call a Coure Eladrin, a Lantern Archon, or a Musteval guardinal ... depending on alignment of course. For LG, that would be the archon. Of course, this is only really useful if you are a player that makes use of the familiar aspect of the spellcasting class.

Eluvan

First Post
For the record - Spell Focus (Good) should presumably only give a +1 increase to DC in 3.5, in line with the other spell focus feats. Also, I'm plannign on taking the Celestial Familiar feat with my character, though that shouldn't necessarily affect Eonthar's choices.

Eonthar

Explorer
I did indeed take the Paladin levels first, followed up by the Sorcerer levels. Of course, this means that I will not be able to take any more levels in Paladin.

Thanks for the information on the feats. I don't think any of them are really worth it for my character, except the Celestial Familiar, but I will have to wait until 6th Character Level to take that. So, I think that I will concentrate on the Draconic Heritage feats.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Eluvan said:
For the record - Spell Focus (Good) should presumably only give a +1 increase to DC in 3.5, in line with the other spell focus feats.

I thought that when I typed it in ... but the book said 2. I can't find BoED errata on the wizards site, though. Also, I am completely unfamiliar with 3.0. [Jumped straight from 2e to 3.5] Was Spell Focus a +2 in 3.0? Because if that's the case, then clearly if Spell Focus was minimized to a +1 in 3.5 that it should be the same for Spell Focus (Good). The other thing I was thinking about is if it is at a +2 to counteract something specific in the BoVD - which I do not own.

And as far as the celestial familiar, Eluvan, of course that is approved. I'll let you do up the stat block of your own familiar, if there even was a question about that. The rules for familiar creation are all pretty standard anyway as HP is based off of master .. etc. So as you are coming up with your character go ahead and do the familiar as well. [Unless, of course, the character doesn't have the familiar and that is something that needs to be worked into the game in the future.]

Bront

The man with the probe
Nonlethal Force said:
Bront - got a chance to take a look over the character. Everything looks good, except two simple questions. 1 - I think you forgot the Tumble synergy to Balance. You got the rest of the synergies, though. 2 - I noticed you left out the +2 to the CHA related checks from feat we discussed. Any reason why? The background looks good ... like you said just the simple things left to flesh out. But ... nice build. Any build that lets you get away with that many 1st level feats is indeed nice (Even if 2 of them are built into the class).
1) Doh!
2) Doh!

I missed the 1st one when browsing the SRD, the second one I just forgot. I'll get it fixed fairly quickly.

I wanted the background to flow naturaly, and his feats flow from that, and I think they do. The sun's power gives life and light to the world, and his goal is to do the same. Just don't ask him any tough questions ;)

I'll get it fixed soon, and finish the minor stuff as needed.

Bront

The man with the probe
FYI - There's something odd with those sblocked tables, as they move the entire scroll around when I open them. I wonder if it's just because of the code block in them.

Might work better if you don't sblock them, simply bold and underline the domains, and use 1 code block.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Bront said:
I wanted the background to flow naturaly, and his feats flow from that, and I think they do. The sun's power gives life and light to the world, and his goal is to do the same. Just don't ask him any tough questions ;)

emphasis mine

Hey ... one never said you have to be a brainchild in order to be a nice person!

But seriously, the background does give rise to the feats. And with some feats (like Lightning Reflexes or Open Mind) that isn't an issue because that is more or less a "born trait" when taken at early levels. But with the feats you took early they are unique enough to lend to an explanation. But it shouldn't surprise you to hear me agree with you, I usually build my backgrounds starting with feats, then I weave in some stuff based on skills, and if a fighter-type I then go back and add a few flavor things about weapons. That isn't necessarily the only way to do it, but it is the way that I use.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Bront said:
FYI - There's something odd with those sblocked tables, as they move the entire scroll around when I open them. I wonder if it's just because of the code block in them.

Might work better if you don't sblock them, simply bold and underline the domains, and use 1 code block.

That's weird .. works fine on my end. But if it is causing people trouble I can take them out of Sblocks. I was just trying to conserve space. Thanks for letting me know.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Just so everyone knows ... the post Bront and I are discussing is the Enigmatica World Info Thread. I put up the info on families of deities tonight. (Is the code working better now?) I didn't have enough time yet to get to the Celestial Paragons (for those of you without the BoED) ... but that is no big deal. That's mostly just flavor stuff. Anyone who is into cosmology analysis I'd be curious to see your interpretation of how I divided the deities up. It wasn't as clean as I'd have liked ... but I think there is at least some reasonable rationale for the choices I made.

I should say ... please don't get swamped by the info. That thread isn't there to be read from top to bottom. It is there so if in the middle of gameplay you might have a question about the gameworld so you can try there first. But I don't expect everyone to be interested in every post. It is just flavor text, text to help make the gameworld more real. It is also there to help people understand how I am approaching the world construction. Often with a homebrew, that is significant because the world is in my head - not like Greyhawk or the Realms that many people are familiar with. But please don't think that you have to know all the stuff that is in that thread! Just read what interests you and you think your character might know.

For those really into cosmologies ... I plan on putting up my "cosmology wheel" if I can figure out how to draw 3D pics on my 2D computer screen. If I can, look for that as another addition! [Yes, you may laugh and point at me for being excited about this!]

Remove ads