• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EN World City Project: Government Affairs Submissions

jdavis

First Post
Lalato said:

Personally, I think there should only be one military representative on the council. We don't really need the Outland Rangers, the General of the Legion, and the Dwarven Commander at every meeting. The military people should only be called upon when needed.

--sam

The Outland Ranger seat is a non-voting one, they are there due to their power and influence outside the wall, not as part of the military. The person in the seat reports on what is happening outside the wall, and advises about those situations.

The Dwarven Commander's seat is due to the treaty with Kul-Moren, he is basically in a advisory/ambasador seat with no vote. It is the representative of Kul-Moren's ambasador seat, he just happens to be filling that political role at this time. It is not related to the military.

The General of the Legion seat is the Military representation on the council, it should have some political clout but General is also a position assigned by the council so it is a political appointment the council makes not a rank earned through service, although the service record has a great deal to do with it.

GladiusNP

First Post
I'd say we need at least names for all of the nobility. Here’s a little model I’d propose for how stuff gets done in Mor’s End. Feel free to change, delete, modify, criticise deride and so forth. It’s long. I used Fusangite’s history for a rough outline.

When Mor was serving as the seneschal of Erekh, son of Erekh, he established an agreement with the herdsmen who had built steddings around the early city. These original settlers were the first landed gentry, and so became the earliest form of nobility. Records of the time indicate that Erekh was paid an annual tax of one sheep in thirty, and the Harrowdale Stedding contributed over forty sheep in consecutive years. The Argali Herders were also to provide their boys at the age of sixteen years – to be trained in battle (this lead to the Muster). These brigades had a brief and meritorious history, including the third Lord of Harrowdale (Lord Armand I) who killed an orc chieftain in single combat, tracked a goblin war-party into the swamp, and rescued three Mor End’s villagers from an orc encampment – all before his twentieth birthday.

Around year 100, the Argali herders were sufficiently wealthy to force an act based on the idea of scutage to provide them a way out of service. Though they also managed to pass a mandate granting titles to all landholders over a certain size of estate, both of these were later amended to reduce the influence the country gentry had over Mor’s End. During the first sacking of the city, the folly of allowing the nobles to avoid military service was revealed, as only Lord Antell came to the city’s aid, bringing his household guard, his herdsmen, and a small contingent of northerners. Though they fought bravely, they apparently defended the Citadel until the gates were broken, and Antell was killed, leaving no heirs.

The most notable acts passed during the rebuilding period include allowing the purchase of noble titles (originally a way to replace dead nobles and give the city much needed funds) an elimination of the land title act (see above) and the skeleton of the administrative structure used in the council today. The office of Tribune was also created, mainly as a response to the merchants who took advantage of the fact that they could now buy titles. Ironically, these new nobles eventually repealed the very act that had given them that same status – basically to prevent any more nobility from joining. Most of the halfling, dwarven, and gnome houses joined at this time, namely houses Imar, Silar, Drekan, and Nitstar.

The last houses were those of the elves, who joined only about year 200. The political manoeuvring necessary to achieve this was engineered by Cor Mahael, who incidentally holds a title over the island of his tower – the only noble to have an estate within the city. House Palmora joined at this time, and provided most of the support for the lesser elven houses.

The general rules governing the nobility is that of the Muster – they provide themselves or a replacement as part of the Muster. This is actually beneficial when the nobles hire experienced mercenaries – it makes the Muster much more experienced than most militia. A list of the size of estates (N.B. not all nobles have lands in Enheim, notably Houses Palmora and Silar) is also maintained by the Tribune, who also maintains the roll of nobility.

Estates of a certain population must also contribute troops to Mor’s End (these troops aren’t particularly large) and there is a land tax per acre, generally something that is roughly worked out. The nobility gain concessions with regard to standing armies (private citizens cannot maintain one), trade rights (nobles may tax waterways in their estates, though this has lead to a great deal of friction between the Merchant’s Council and certain nobles), and a seat in the House of Lords. Most of the guilds have at least one representative house in the House of Lords – the Silker’s Circle is particularly influential, with several houses.

The House of Lords consists of the twenty leaders of the noble houses. Each winter, they elect their representatives to the city council. There is a rough code of practice, and annual meetings, which never really achieve all that much, except provide a forum for the airing of all the petty grievances of the city aristocracy.

The nobles have six seats on the city council. The council meets twice a month, and must have a quorum of seven voting members to enact legislation. None of the Counsellors have veto power, though the Castellan does have the power to force a re-vote. Lady Kelvin does have the power to veto any law – though does not have the power to introduce new legislation on her own – she must do it through the Castellan, and it must pass through the council. A two-thirds majority usually rules, save when the Duke of the city is given the power of Martial Law. In this time, there are no meetings, the Duke may take and order any actions necessary, and is only enacted in times of emergency. This must be voted on by only one third of the council – if one third agrees, then the Duke may declare the city closed, and under martial law (yes I do realise the potential for abuse). The other seats are given to…

1. The Castellan. Council Head.
2. Merchant’s Council representative. Note that the Merchant’s Council may also have affiliated nobles in other Council positions.
3. The foreigner. Though titles from other lands are recognised in Mor’s End, this council member holds no land in Mor’s End. (Interesting story here. Who is this person? How did they get on the council?)
4. The Mage Guild. Part of the original charter of the Mage Guild was to have a full member on the city council. Was fulfilled by Cor Mahael (who also held office through his title for a brief time). Now fulfilled by ??????
5. The Legion General, Sebastiano Palmora.

The Watersilkers are fairly strong right now due to Sebastiano’s chair and the chair they maintain through their influence in the House of Lords. Each of the council members has their own agenda, and often swaps votes with others to get legislation through. Example…

Lord Bentley Harrowdale – Scion of one of the oldest noble families in Mor’s End. Harrowdale currently holds a seat on the city council, and has for six years. He represents the country gentry and also has ties through marriage to the Glazer’s Guild. He pushes for more power to the Landholders, a break of the Merchant’s Council’s monopoly over trade, especially for pottery, and an increased crackdown on the Squats. He considers the military an unnecessary drain, and has considerable contempt for both the elite guard and their Commander, Gorkil.

Other agendas include….
1. The Glittering Brotherhood and the Merchant’s Council are allies – the Glittering Brotherhood really doesn’t need to ship in bulk, so the tariffs charged by the Merchant’s Council on transport really don’t affect them. It’s in their best interest to keep the Silkers and the Glazers down. They sometimes vote with the Mages Guild, since they provide the Mages Guild with all sorts of components.
2. The Silkers are forced to vote with the Glazer’s to keep the Merchant’s down. They don’t like it much at all. Palmora is under pressure to vote with his house, and more than once this has caused quite a bit of tension. The Silkers also would eventually like to knock the Glazer’s down several notches, but for now must work with them.
3. All of the guilds work to make themselves more exclusive. Lady Kelvin puts a stop to most of the more blatant abuses, but laws recently passed include…

An extension of three to five for the number of years an apprentice must work under a guild member to join a guild (mainly to discourage foreign artisans from joining.)

(Can’t think of any more right now).

Other agendas abound, more to be added when we get the final work-up for the members of the council. This is a work in progress, of a possible model. I think it keeps the Guilds strong, the Nobles strong, keeps the Mages weak, and the military weak. The Council needing a two-thirds majority may make it a bit too weak… What do you all think?

Conaill

First Post
GladiusNP said:
Records of the time indicate that Erekh was paid an annual tax of one sheep in thirty, and the Harrowdale Stedding contributed over forty sheep in consecutive years.
Harrowdale? Has Harrowdale been subsumed in the city since then, or is it still out there? I would prefer not to add to many new population centers outside the walls.

The last houses were those of the elves, who joined only about year 200. The political manoeuvring necessary to achieve this was engineered by Cor Mahael
[...]
Part of the original charter of the Mage Guild was to have a full member on the city council. Was fulfilled by Cor Mahael (who also held office through his title for a brief time).
Best to leave Cor Mahael out of this. He may or may not have pulled some strings behind the scenes, but I would greatly prefer NOT giving him any public role in Mor's End history.

A list of the size of estates (N.B. not all nobles have lands in Enheim, notably Houses Palmora and Silar)
Again, are these estates *inside* current day Mor's End? You seem to imply they're not, which would complicate matters hugely. If we have to start filling in the countryside *outside* Mor's End with population, that opens up a whole other can of worms, and I don't think we want to go that way.

Also, what do you mean with "not all nobles have lands in Enheim"? My impression was that Enheim was a vast kingdom, in which Mor's End sits on the remote SW border.

The nobility gain concessions with regard to standing armies (private citizens cannot maintain one), trade rights (nobles may tax waterways in their estates, though this has lead to a great deal of friction between the Merchant’s Council and certain nobles), ...
Private guards, sure, but a STANDING ARMY? I don't think so...

As for trade rights, that seems to fall squarely in the court of the Merchants Guild. Are you going to let some city nobles tax traffic along the trade road? Along the river?

A two-thirds majority usually rules, save when the Duke of the city is given the power of Martial Law. In this time, there are no meetings, the Duke may take and order any actions necessary, and is only enacted in times of emergency. This must be voted on by only one third of the council – if one third agrees, then the Duke may declare the city closed, and under martial law.
No need to over-legislate this stuff. In practice, the decision to declare Martial Law will be made by... the DM! No need to give him too many hoops to jump through. (And who's the Duke anyway? The Castellan?)

The other seats are given to…

2. Merchant’s Council representative. Note that the Merchant’s Council may also have affiliated nobles in other Council positions.
3. The foreigner. Though titles from other lands are recognised in Mor’s End, this council member holds no land in Mor’s End. (Interesting story here. Who is this person? How did they get on the council?)
4. The Mage Guild. Part of the original charter of the Mage Guild was to have a full member on the city council. Was fulfilled by Cor Mahael (who also held office through his title for a brief time). Now fulfilled by ??????
I would much rather have more Guild chairs and fewer Noble chairs. There will be much overlap between these anyway. Definitely add a chair for the main guilds: the Glazers, Glittering Brotherhood and the Silkfishers. Plus perhaps one additional chair for the lower guilds.

jdavis

First Post
A estate would not necessarily be a population center, just like a cattle ranch is not a town. There will be people out there, not the 100,000 people first pushed but there will have to be several thousand people who live in the countryside, they would be spread out on farms and ranches not bulked together in villages.

Examples of Estates:
Sheep Ranch; one manor house and several thousand acres of grazing land, several barns and a bunkhouse for workers and/or workers families. Would also have large house/palace/manor in posh district.

Silk Fish harvester; several holding pools on a section of the lake shore (the richer ones would be on the shore of the big island), several sheds and barns and workhouses for watersilk collection/production/drying/rough weaving into thread, workers barracks (if pools are far from the city or they use slaves), Manor house in Posh district, may have second manor house if there pools are a day or more away from the city.

Clay pit owner; clay pit and land around it, workers barracks, storehouses and tool houses, barns for horses and wagons used to haul clay to city, wharehouse or shop in city, manor house in posh district, may have second manor house on land near clay pit depending on distance to town.

When writing up a noble house we probably need to put down the information on what they own and where. Many would have to own land outside of town (can't raise sheep in the city), how much and how many barns or workers or whatever would be a sign of their wealth and power. There are also several small farmers and herders outside the walls, there just is no bunched up village of people.

Cor Mahael probably insisted on a title to keep people off his island but that was probably the end of it, I got the impression that he was a recluse, I doubt he would of actually sat on the council longer than it would of taken to insure people would stay off his island.

Conaill

First Post
jdavis said:
Examples of Estates:
Sheep Ranch; one manor house and several thousand acres of grazing land, several barns and a bunkhouse for workers and/or workers families. Would also have large house/palace/manor in posh district.
I don't think a whealthy farmer would count as a city "noble". The primary focus and residence of the nobility would have to be within Mor's End. There may be one or two nobles that lease out land outside Mor's End, but the majority of the nobles are likely those that made their fortune through trade directly associated with the city itself, and thus the Guilds.

jdavis

First Post
Conaill said:

I don't think a whealthy farmer would count as a city "noble". The primary focus and residence of the nobility would have to be within Mor's End. There may be one or two nobles that lease out land outside Mor's End, but the majority of the nobles are likely those that made their fortune through trade directly associated with the city itself, and thus the Guilds.

Historically noble and landowner were pretty close to the same thing. Would any old merchant or trader be noble just because he is wealthy? Not to mention how would a noble maintain any wealth if they didn't have a estate to generate money? Just because they have a big ranch doesn't mean they don't live in the city most of the time. The best example for the sheep herders becoming noble would be like the Cattle Baron's of the old west, they control a important commodity and use that as leverage to gain money and political clout. In the old west many of the rich cattlemen had so much power that they dominated politics at the local and state levels, it would be the same here, these men haven't actually herded any sheep in generations they hire people to do that for them, they have historical control of a commodity and thus have gianed power, not to mention a large portion of the population came from the old herder clans it's just a outward development of that.

Conaill

First Post
In the case of Mor's End, most of the wealth is generated within the city, not on the ranches outside of it. Over the centuries, it's the merchants, gemtraders etc that would have become the "nouveau riche" in town, which eventually turned into nobility.

The "cattle baron" model is very american-centric. In the middle ages, nobility sprang up from feudalism. So you'd have a feudal lord with his own manor/castle, who would essentially lease out land to his underlings. I.e. the farmers would be working for him, but the lord himself would definitely not be considered a farmer.

Likewise, Mor's End nobles may have rights to land outside Mor's End, which they lease to relatively poor farmers outside the city. But their primary source of income would likely come from inside Mor's End.

Lalato

Adventurer
The original settlers of Mor's End were slaves and the local shepherds. The local shepherds controlled the surrounding land that is known as Enheim. They became landed gentry... and eventually became the nobility of Mor's End.

The Merchant class, while wealthy, is not the nobility of Mor's End. Certainly, there are a few old merchant families that consider themselves nobility... and perhaps these are the families that are leaders within their guilds.

I agree that there might be some shepherd nobles that became involved in the various guilds... but there are still a few of the original clans left. These are the ones that have seats in the council. Lady Kelvin... takes her name from the Kelvin clan. If she's at the top of the power structure... what happened to the rest of the shepherd clans? Did they become assimilated? I would prefer that they are still kicking around... causing tension.

Mor's End is a city-state... not just a city. Enheim is not a vast region. It's basically just the land around Lake Enoria. It is bounded to the north by Kul Moren. Granted Lake Enoria is huge, but to say that none of the local nobles have estates or other Enheim based business doesn't work for me. I like the idea of there being tension between the landed nobility and the merchant nobility.

Anyway... I've got to go... It's lunch time. :D

--sam

jdavis

First Post
How wealth is generated now and how it was generated when the nobles arose could be very different, these sheep owners would of been the wealthy and elite 300 years ago, before the clay or the gems or the silkfish there were sheep herders. Just because new and more important markets opened up wouldn't mean they would of released their titles earned 300 years ago. Your using the same type of model I am using I'm just adding in land as important, these people are your old long term nobility, and some of these people might of branched out into the new and more important markets when they opened up but original humans came from these wandering tribes. Nobility is a exclusive group, they just don't let anybody in and once these people became nobility they controlled what was considered nobility. Being wealthy and being noble are not linearly related and having weath does not make you noble unless you had it 300 years ago. The ones who get in are the ones who have the political power, and when you do get in you don't want others getting in either, nobles don't want everybody with a little cash to be noble. Guild leaders and leaders in these newer trades probably pushed their way in but not every wealty gem merchant gets to be noble, if they did then the titles would have no real value. Political power not wealth is how you get to be noble and the original herding clan leaders had the original political power, unless they were wise and got into new areas as they became more important they might not be the most wealthy or powerful members of the city but once noble they will stay noble.

As far as land outside the city goes well of course they will own land and they probably have huge manor houses, of course who wants to live out in the country when the city is where everything is happening.

The one thing that wealthy and noble will agree on is their distain for the commoners and that will hold together your posh district.

fusangite

First Post
As to your request for name, I've come up with a few names for the key noble families: Kelvin, Kelkios, Franhaig, Oghn and Vuelth.

I'd say we need at least names for all of the nobility. Here’s a little model I’d propose for how stuff gets done in Mor’s End. Feel free to change, delete, modify, criticise deride and so forth. It’s long. I used Fusangite’s history for a rough outline.

Thanks a lot. There's now an update to the history which I think you might be helpful.

When Mor was serving as the seneschal of Erekh, son of Erekh, he established an agreement with the herdsmen who had built steddings around the early city.

Due to the, in my view misplaced, support for the Lady Kelvin theory of government, I have had to modify this. I've therefore used Lalato's idea that the Kelvins have always had title to the city and that Kelvin is one of the names of the herder clans. I hope this doesn't mess things up too badly.

These original settlers were the first landed gentry, and so became the earliest form of nobility. Records of the time indicate that Erekh was paid an annual tax of one sheep in thirty, and the Harrowdale Stedding contributed over forty sheep in consecutive years. The Argali Herders were also to provide their boys at the age of sixteen years – to be trained in battle (this lead to the Muster). These brigades had a brief and meritorious history, including the third Lord of Harrowdale (Lord Armand I) who killed an orc chieftain in single combat, tracked a goblin war-party into the swamp, and rescued three Mor End’s villagers from an orc encampment – all before his twentieth birthday.

This looks great and fits into the history just fine. Can you expand this into story form? I'd like to have this as one of the legends/stories which makes up the history document.

Around year 100, the Argali herders were sufficiently wealthy to force an act based on the idea of scutage to provide them a way out of service. Though they also managed to pass a mandate granting titles to all landholders over a certain size of estate, both of these were later amended to reduce the influence the country gentry had over Mor’s End.

This all seems good. I've left the actual power of the Kelvins and the structure of government as nebulous as I can. A couple of issues worth pointing out, though, are:
1. Can the country gentry work the same way in a primarily pastoral rather than agricultural economy? I had kind of imagined that the herders were still working in a non-vassalage-based medieval society like the Scots.
2. The island on which the citadel stands is Kelvin territory; it looks like it might be useful to figure out which noble families hold which lands in the city and its environs. It seems to me that much of the specific governance structure can flow from this. I have an idea that there should be a small number of privileged Enorian clans with guaranteed seats on the council.

During the first sacking of the city, the folly of allowing the nobles to avoid military service was revealed, as only Lord Antell came to the city’s aid, bringing his household guard, his herdsmen, and a small contingent of northerners. Though they fought bravely, they apparently defended the Citadel until the gates were broken, and Antell was killed, leaving no heirs.

I'd love it if you could integrate this paragraph directly into the section of the history dealing with the first sack.

The most notable acts passed during the rebuilding period include allowing the purchase of noble titles (originally a way to replace dead nobles and give the city much needed funds) an elimination of the land title act (see above) and the skeleton of the administrative structure used in the council today. The office of Tribune was also created, mainly as a response to the merchants who took advantage of the fact that they could now buy titles. Ironically, these new nobles eventually repealed the very act that had given them that same status – basically to prevent any more nobility from joining. Most of the halfling, dwarven, and gnome houses joined at this time, namely houses Imar, Silar, Drekan, and Nitstar.

Generally I like this. However, my history sort of works off the idea that the dwarves have a more significant and longer-standing relationship with the city.

The last houses were those of the elves, who joined only about year 200. The political manoeuvring necessary to achieve this was engineered by Cor Mahael, who incidentally holds a title over the island of his tower – the only noble to have an estate within the city. House Palmora joined at this time, and provided most of the support for the lesser elven houses.

This all looks fine. I'm thinking the elves could be immigrants from the shores of Lake Enoria who moved to the city as a direct consequence of the silk fishing industry.

The general rules governing the nobility is that of the Muster – they provide themselves or a replacement as part of the Muster. This is actually beneficial when the nobles hire experienced mercenaries – it makes the Muster much more experienced than most militia. A list of the size of estates (N.B. not all nobles have lands in Enheim, notably Houses Palmora and Silar) is also maintained by the Tribune, who also maintains the roll of nobility.

Again, this looks great.

Estates of a certain population must also contribute troops to Mor’s End (these troops aren’t particularly large) and there is a land tax per acre, generally something that is roughly worked out.

Maybe the muster should be a Kelvinic institution rather than a Mor's End one. How would that sit with you? I rather like the idea of the city as a subset of the Kelvinic lands rather than vice-versa.

The nobility gain concessions with regard to standing armies (private citizens cannot maintain one), trade rights (nobles may tax waterways in their estates, though this has lead to a great deal of friction between the Merchant’s Council and certain nobles), and a seat in the House of Lords.

Speaking of the merchants' council, what do you think of my idea of two competing merchant associations? I think I posted it in the guilds thread.

Most of the guilds have at least one representative house in the House of Lords – the Silker’s Circle is particularly influential, with several houses.

I'm not a big fan of this idea. Because of the times we live in, we often come up with governance structures that are inappropriately representative. I don't think that the nobles should ever have to sit in the same assembly as non-nobles.

So here's my wacky state theory for for Mor's End:
0. the House Kelvin has title to Mor's End and has chartered the city. I sort of see the following political units (from largest to smallest):
1. Enheim -- a loose confederation of herder clans that assemble once a year for a big celebration/meeting sometimes camped outside Mor's End sometimes elsewhere in Enheim. This confederation would have an honourary king-type position with little power and a Dux Bellorum (King Arthur's job -- Duke of War) who will command the clans of Enheim in the event of invasion.
2. Lords' Lands -- the lands controlled by the clans; these lands have little real government except for a vassalage arrangement with the Kelvins which requires the annual muster and a tribute in sheep and gold.
3. Mor's End -- a city chartered by the Kelvins which has grown to encompass some lands from the Vuelths, Antells, Harrowdales and other noble families. Most governing is by the castellan and his officials or by organizations like wards, guilds and cults to which the castellan has delegated his powers.
4. The Wards -- most governing is done at the ward level.

However, someone living in a ward can be subject to one of six types of law: (a) laws can be made by the castellan and his advisors that apply to all wards of the city; (b) the warden of each ward (selected by a different procedure in each ward -- elected, appointed, hereditary etc.) (c) the noble family on whose lands the ward sits (the Kelvins, Antells, Vuelths, etc.) (my idea is that each ward is wholly within a single noble's territories) can make laws for the whole of their lands (d) guilds, cults, etc. can make laws that affect their members (e) the Kelvins can make laws applying generally to the whole city (f) the the Dux Bellorum or High King of Enheim can make laws for the whole region

I'd like it if the boundaries of jurisdictions were disputed, overlapping and unclear.

The House of Lords consists of the twenty leaders of the noble houses. Each winter, they elect their representatives to the city council. There is a rough code of practice, and annual meetings, which never really achieve all that much, except provide a forum for the airing of all the petty grievances of the city aristocracy.

This system makes it seem like the Lords are subordinate to the council. I don't like the idea of the Lords meeting collectively; if they have to send representatives to anything, they should do so individually based on their rights as noble families.

The nobles have six seats on the city council. The council meets twice a month, and must have a quorum of seven voting members to enact legislation. None of the Counsellors have veto power, though the Castellan does have the power to force a re-vote.

I'd prefer a city council wholly appointed by the castellan or appointed in part by the castellan and in part by the ward governments. I think the way for nobles to have power in this system should be their own direct assertion of jurisdiction not their involvement in a representative process.

Lady Kelvin does have the power to veto any law – though does not have the power to introduce new legislation on her own

I think Lady Kelvin should just make whatever laws she feels like.

– she must do it through the Castellan, and it must pass through the council. A two-thirds majority usually rules, save when the Duke of the city is given the power of Martial Law. In this time, there are no meetings, the Duke may take and order any actions necessary, and is only enacted in times of emergency. This must be voted on by only one third of the council – if one third agrees, then the Duke may declare the city closed, and under martial law (yes I do realise the potential for abuse). The other seats are given to…

The problem here is that there is not enough potential for abuse. This city isn't supposed to be a place of justice and order, is it?Your system sounds strangely... American. I also had to drop the term "duke" in my second draft.

This list of council members looks great.

The Watersilkers are fairly strong right now due to Sebastiano’s chair and the chair they maintain through their influence in the House of Lords. Each of the council members has their own agenda, and often swaps votes with others to get legislation through. Example…

I agree heartily.

Lord Bentley Harrowdale – Scion of one of the oldest noble families in Mor’s End. Harrowdale currently holds a seat on the city council, and has for six years. He represents the country gentry and also has ties through marriage to the Glazer’s Guild. He pushes for more power to the Landholders, a break of the Merchant’s Council’s monopoly over trade, especially for pottery, and an increased crackdown on the Squats. He considers the military an unnecessary drain, and has considerable contempt for both the elite guard and their Commander, Gorkil.

I like this idea; I think Harrowdale would be a more complex and strange figure if his presence on council flouted tradition, though.

Other agendas include….
1. The Glittering Brotherhood and the Merchant’s Council are allies – the Glittering Brotherhood really doesn’t need to ship in bulk, so the tariffs charged by the Merchant’s Council on transport really don’t affect them. It’s in their best interest to keep the Silkers and the Glazers down. They sometimes vote with the Mages Guild, since they provide the Mages Guild with all sorts of components.
2. The Silkers are forced to vote with the Glazer’s to keep the Merchant’s down. They don’t like it much at all. Palmora is under pressure to vote with his house, and more than once this has caused quite a bit of tension. The Silkers also would eventually like to knock the Glazer’s down several notches, but for now must work with them.
3. All of the guilds work to make themselves more exclusive. Lady Kelvin puts a stop to most of the more blatant abuses, but laws recently passed include…

An extension of three to five for the number of years an apprentice must work under a guild member to join a guild (mainly to discourage foreign artisans from joining.)

(Can’t think of any more right now).

Other agendas abound, more to be added when we get the final work-up for the members of the council. This is a work in progress, of a possible model. I think it keeps the Guilds strong, the Nobles strong, keeps the Mages weak, and the military weak. The Council needing a two-thirds majority may make it a bit too weak… What do you all think?

I love all this stuff. Great work.

Anyway, feel free to throw out my alternate theory of the city. I like your ideas about the specifics of the city council and what it does. I'd just prefer the city to be a chaotic mass of overlapping jurisdictions rather than a relatively flat, representative system.

Great work. I look forward to working further with you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads