• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EPIC (M&M - Recruiting) CLOSED

Velmont

First Post
Calinon said:
You gain an extra power range each time you take the extra. Taking it once allows you to mimic 3PP powers. To go beyond that, you must take the extra again, once for eacn PP increase you want to mimic. I read this carefully, then looked it up on the M&M headquarters, and even found several examples to illustrate. Here's one: ...

The book is really not clear on that, and when I read it, it looks more like I was right, and looking on internet for the answer, you may fall on homemade rules, but I have taken a look on www.mutantsandmasterminds.com. They tell nothing in the errata, but when you look at Knock-Off, the Mimic hero archtype, you see clearly that it is a cost of 1 extra per PP and not one level per PP...

Dalamar

Adventurer
Multibrain
Johan Backman
PL: 8 (120PP)
Quote: "Multiple minds think better than one."

Abilities: 12PP
STR 10
DEX 11
CON 12
INT 16
WIS 13
CHA 10

Saves
Damage: +1
Fort: +1
Ref: +0
Will: +1

Combat: 8PP
Base Attack: 1 (Melee +1, Ranged +1, Mental +2)
Base Defense: 2 (Defense 12, Flat Footed 12, Mental 13)
Initiative: +0
Movement: Run (30/60/120)

Feats: 8PP
Assessment, Darkvision, Photographic Memory, Skill Focus (Computers)

Powers: 70PP
Duplication +8 [Extras: Duration (Continuous), Mental Link; Cost: 4; Total Cost: 32]
Comprehend +4 [Cost: 2; Total Cost: 8]
Super-Intelligence +3 [Cost: 2; Total Cost: 6]
Telepathy +8 [Extras: Duration (Continuous), Group Link; Flaw: Limited (On Own Duplicates Only); Cost: 3; Total Cost: 24]

Trained Skills: 12PP (Total/Rank)
Computers +15/6, Concentration +3/2, Hide +2/2, Knowledge (Culture) +8/2, Knowledge (Geography) +8/2, Knowledge (History) +8/2, Knowledge (Religion) +8/2, Knowledge (Trivia) +8/2, Language -/2, Listen +5/4, Medicine +2/1, Move Silently +2/2, Science (Biochemistry) +8/2, Science (Mathematics) +11/5, Spot +3/2
Languages: Native: Finnish, Learned: English, Swedish

Wealth: 2PP
Wealth Level: 4
Income per year: $50,000

Appearance
Johan has an average-length light brown hair that seems to be pointing to every direction. His skin is somewhat pale, but not unhealthily so, since he hasn't been out in the sun much.
Johan usually wears nondescript clothing, more because he's not interested in fashion than for going unnoticed. There's a great chance that, when encountered, he's reading a book, usually one that looks boring and thick as heck.

Personality
While Johan has nothing against other people, he often seems distant and rude as he's pondering on some mathematical problem. Due to spending most of his youth up till now just studying, he isn't used to interaction with other people and has a habit of sounding very formal unless he gets excited about something.

History
Johan was born in Finland to a average-wealth family. Even as a small child, he enjoyed listening, and reading when he learned to do so at the age of five, tales and fables. When he entered school at the age of seven (the normal age in Finland), he was always the primus of his class.
Due to being in a relative low population area, Johan's school had combined classes: 3rd and 4th graders were in the same class, as were the 5th and 6th graders. And to the astonishment of his teachers, the boy actually managed to learn much of the things taught to the next year students in addition to those taught to those of his age. He was transferred straight to 5th grade from the 3rd grade, and he enjoyed learning.

His natural talent and desire to learn achieved him multiple small awards, and he completed comprehensive school in six years, three years faster than is normal. A Finnish computer software company took interest in him and contacted his parents. The company's representative said that they would fund Johan's studies and pay some extra, but only if Johan would agree to work for them when he turns 18.
Johan received a studying place at Turku, which had once again become Finlands's capital after Helsinki was destroyed in the explosions of 2088.
Two years passed relatively unevently, excluding more awards won by Johan.

Then, one Friday evening, Johan was scouring the school library like every Friday, looking for something new to read. Suddenly, he unconsciously duplicated himself to speed his search, releasing two duplicates. At first, nobody noticed anything, including Johan. He noticed only after one of them brought one of the books he had been looking for to him. The young scientist was more intrigued by the phenomenom than scared and started idly chatting with his duplicate about the relativity theory.
But, alas, it didn't turn out too well in the end. Just as the other duplicate came to the same aisle as Johan, a group of older students did too. They raised a ruckus that ended in a brawl. Johan single-hand... make that 'triple-handedly' won the brawl, but was expelled from the school for a week for starting a fight.
The scene had also ended up in the television, probably from which he was noticed by the representatives of EPIC.

Last edited:

buzzard

First Post
Calinon said:
Sounds good! I'd stick to elascticity as the main power. Growth could be a minor one (since it's soooo expensive). If you can avoid teleportation, it'd be great. I already have some restrictions in that line of sight or short range are flaws of it, since the power itself has some strong ability to wreak havok in the world, so I hamstrung it :)

Actually the teleport would have been with those restrictions anyway. The point is just to get on top of the enemy and envelop them. I can drop it either way. Also the growth is mainly there just to get to large size (to surround something, it helps to be bigger). I'll have him statted up tommorow.

buzzard

Calinon

First Post
Velmont said:
The book is really not clear on that, and when I read it, it looks more like I was right, and looking on internet for the answer, you may fall on homemade rules, but I have taken a look on www.mutantsandmasterminds.com. They tell nothing in the errata, but when you look at Knock-Off, the Mimic hero archtype, you see clearly that it is a cost of 1 extra per PP and not one level per PP...
I'm looking at knockoff right now. His powers cost 6PP per rank, which breaks down as follows:

Mimic (2 PP)
extra: additional attribute (feats) (1 PP)
extra: all attributes (1 PP)
extra: expanded powers (4 points) (2 PP)

Total Cost (6 PP * 10 ranks = 60 PP)

The bolded part means he can mimic powers up to 4 points per rank. He spent 2 PP to expand his ability from the base 2 points per rank. If he only put one point into it, the total cost per rank would be 5 PP and he would only be able to mimic up to 3 point per rank powers.

So, in order to mimic more powerful mutants, you will need to invest multiple times in the expanded powers extra. It's not actually a house rule, it's how it's supposed to work to prevent the mimic power from being unbalancing.

Hope that clears it up :)

Calinon

First Post
Mordane76 said:
Just wanted to post and say I'm still here, I'm still interested, and I should hopefully be picking up the book today after work.
If you don't want to pick up the books right away, that's fine too. Just give me a description of your characters background, powers, etc, and I can create a character to that for you. I hate to have people purchase expensive books, when you never know how long a campaign will go on, or if you will maintain interest. While I'm planning on a lengthy campaign, you never know what will happen. While it can be a hassle for you to learn the system, it is workable even if you don't own the book.

Mind you, if you like the game now, or after we start, I really encourage you to grab the book :) If you are looking for one, go to ebay or amazon, who both often have sales on used copies.

Calinon

First Post
Razamir said:
I am VERY interested in joining this game. I hope there is still a slot available.
I am a huge comic-fan and I run a table-top M&M game on saturday nights. I have all the books and know the system very well. I've been dying to actually play for quite a while.

I will finish my character later today and post it as soon as possible. Here's what I have so far. Let me know if you have any problems with this. I can always make a new character.... I have a ton of ideas.
Wraith looks nice :) He has the potential to be very powerful once he gets training with his powers since he sounds pretty inexperienced with them. The only thing I'd change is the "signing up" for EPIC. I'd prefer if you got into a foster home or something and were trying to settle down, when an invitation to EPIC came in. Rather minor; I really like the concept!

Calinon

First Post
Dalamar said:
So far I've got most of the mechanics stuff covered, in a day or two I should be able to put the fluff on the skeleton. Here's what I have so far.

Powers: 70PP
Duplication +8 [Extras: Duration (Continuous), Mental Link; Cost: 4; Total Cost: 32]
Comprehend +4 [Cost: 2; Total Cost: 8]
Super-Intelligence +3 [Cost: 2; Total Cost: 6]
Telepathy +8 [Extras: Duration (Continuous), Group Link; Flaw: Limited (On Own Duplicates Only); Cost: 3; Total Cost: 24]
I think you should probably change that to Flaw: Empathy or Flaw: Communication only. The reason for it is that you already have a mental link with your duplicates, which is much cheaper than taking telepathy for it. If you still want your telepathic powers, I'd suggest Telepath +8 [Extra: group link, extra: duration (continuous), flaw: communication only]. If your telepathy was solely for your duplicates, I'd suggest dropping it completely and putting the points into skills.

Very nice!

Velmont

First Post
Calinon said:
I'm looking at knockoff right now. His powers cost 6PP per rank, which breaks down as follows:

Mimic (2 PP)
extra: additional attribute (feats) (1 PP)
extra: all attributes (1 PP)
extra: expanded powers (4 points) (2 PP)

Total Cost (6 PP * 10 ranks = 60 PP)

The bolded part means he can mimic powers up to 4 points per rank. He spent 2 PP to expand his ability from the base 2 points per rank. If he only put one point into it, the total cost per rank would be 5 PP and he would only be able to mimic up to 3 point per rank powers.

So, in order to mimic more powerful mutants, you will need to invest multiple times in the expanded powers extra. It's not actually a house rule, it's how it's supposed to work to prevent the mimic power from being unbalancing.

Hope that clears it up :)

Yeah, it is the conclusion I end with after looking at his template. I have made some change to the character, but I have a big question. I have put the Extra Effort flaw on the power. It is there in the sens ethat it is hard to switch power, but will the flaw will apply on the powers I drained. Would I need to spend a Hero Point each time I want to use a skill, feat, attributs or power, because I think it would be suicidal to put that flaw on Mimic if it works like that.

Also, I'm starting to be tempted by the other version of Knock-Off, a multi-alternate form guy, like the water/ice/vapor guy I had suggest in the other game. But first, I will try to make something out of the Mimic Power first. Now Kevin York is more wimpy than ever, more like I was thinking at first... at least, when he has no power mimicked.

Last edited:

Calinon

First Post
Velmont said:
Yeah, it is the conclusion I end with after looking at his template. I have made some change to the character, but I have a big question. I have put the Extra Effort flaw on the power. It is there in the sens ethat it is hard to switch power, but will the flaw will apply on the powers I drained. Would I need to spend a Hero Point each time I want to use a skill, feat, attributs or power, because I think it would be suicidal to put that flaw on Mimic if it works like that.

Also, I'm starting to be tempted by the other version of Knock-Off, a multi-alternate form guy, like the water/ice/vapor guy I had suggest in the other game. But first, I will try to make something out of the Mimic Power first. Now Kevin York is more wimpy than ever, more like I was thinking at first... at least, when he has no power mimicked.
Flaw: extra effort

Each time you try to mimic someone, you would have to use extra effort. You'd then have to use a hero point to fight off fatigue. It'd be very harsh on you I think and if you can get away without it, you'd be better off. Once you have used mimic to gain an attribute, using the skill/feat/power/abilities you just got would NOT take extra effort. It's only when you use mimic that you have to exert yourself.

Calinon

First Post
Character Update:

The following characters have completed their concepts (I've received the final character sheets and will be posting their characters to the website):

Elementor: Speed Demon (speedster)
Mimic: TBA (magnetism -- name subject to change since I picked it)
Deva: Amazon (powerhouse -- name subject to change since I picked it)
TBA: Loki (prankster) -- this is a friend of mine who will make an EN World account shortly

The following just have some tweaks to make or concepts to finish:

Velmont: Stealer (mimic)
Buzzard: Straightjacket (elasticity)
Razamir: Wraith (incorporeal)
Dalamir: TBA (duplication)

The following are interested but need to post a concept or character outline:

Mordane76
Brother Shatterstone

Given this is my first PbP campaign, I'd like to cut it off at six, but I'll probably take up to eight since there are some stellar ideas in there. That'll still leave me putting a few folks on reserves. I hate to do that, but I'll be stretching my mind with eight. So get your finished concepts up (background and all) and I'll make my selections.

Thanks gang, you really have some great ideas and enthusiasm.

Remove ads