Epic Spellcasting Questions

This isn't exactly a spellcasting-related question, but one of my players wants to have a dragon companion. Is there anything a DR1 Immortal could trade for this?

For balancing reasons you could have a permanent Dragon Mount (or any creature) that was CR 8 lower than your character - for reference a Divine Rank 1 Immortal would be CR 16*.

*but 'proper' CR 16, not WotC Monster Manual CR 16.

Obly99

Hero
For balancing reasons you could have a permanent Dragon Mount (or any creature) that was CR 8 lower than your character - for reference a Divine Rank 1 Immortal would be CR 16*.

*but 'proper' CR 16, not WotC Monster Manual CR 16.
I have always found myself at odds with this -8 level. Basic example Leadership (Leadership – d20PFSRD) and monster cohort (Monster Cohorts – d20PFSRD). I use the rule CR=character level for Leadership and recruitment (so if the character can take a level 17 cohort, he can take also a CR 17 monster or a combination of them like an Erinyes [CR 8] with 9 levels).

Obly99

Hero
Regular greater teleport has no distance limitations I'm aware of. Why is interplanetary teleport even a thing?
From greater teleport (Teleport – d20PFSRD)
"Interplanar travel is not possible.". You cannot travel between planets with greater teleport. You need to use interplanetary teleport. It's fluff, but the manual Distant Worlds says many of tried using greater teleport for space travel and failed because of things like the caster being unable to compensate for the speed of the planet or not being able to comprehend the distance required.
From James Jacobs creator of PF:
"So here's the thing. In pretty much all D&D type settings, there wasn't really a well-supported planetary element. Teleport has a built in range limitation, but greater teleport was classically set up as "unlimited" but WITHOUT the idea that there are other planets in the universe, really, to teleport to. Sure, there were other planets, but that wasn't really a strong element of game play in the majority of D&D adventures, and it certainly wasn't an expectation in the core rules for D&D.

That's changed in Golarion, but it's a bit confusing since the implication is that you can teleport as far as you want with greater teleport.

The way it works in Golarion, and the way I hope some day we'll clear up how it works in the core (since they adopted interplanetary teleport into core, it's already implied), is that greater teleport allows unlimited teleportation on a planetary scale, but not beyond that. You need interplanetary teleport to go to other planets and galaxies."

see the edit in my comment
So...by RAW, greater teleport is actually still unlimited, but someone (in their "great wisdom") decided to nerf it (and hundreds of preexisting creatures) for their own personal campaigns.

Addendum:I like James Jacobs works, but he's wrong. Greater Teleport was originally called Teleport w/o Error. It saw plenty of Interplanetary use in Spelljammer.

Last edited:

Remove ads