Epic spells and the Epic Caster (unfair balence of power?)

Blacksad

Explorer
Boom

Arravis said:
This one "Go ahead and try to create a spell that will wipe out all life in a 2 mile radius"

Boom
Evocation
Spellcraft DC: 431 or -61
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: 300 ft.
Area: ball radius 2 miles
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude half
Spell Resistance: Yes
Development: gp; days; XP. Seed: energy DC19
; factor: change area ball +2 DC, per doubling of base area +4 DC(528 or 36) ; mitigating factor: 10,000 XP -100 DC, 10 minutes -18 DC

10d6 energy damage

I don't know how to interpret the doubling of base area:confused:

Arravis

First Post
Ok... with some hard core min/maxing what IS the minimum level you'd need to be to cast that spell? Is it a level that any of us would EVER see in our lifetime as players?

Blacksad

Explorer
Arravis said:
Ok... with some hard core min/maxing what IS the minimum level you'd need to be to cast that spell? Is it a level that any of us would EVER see in our lifetime as players?

a +250 to spellcraft is worth 12,500,000 gp
a +200 8,000,000 gp
a +100 2,000,000 gp

umh....
If you go the harsh way on the doubling of area (i.e. 20 ft. + 20ft. + ...) not anytime soon.

If you go with the PLEASE DON'T KILL ME way (20 ft. *2*2*2...) you could have it at level 21.

Also I can see even worst in min/max if you have a cleric with true resurection, you could had 5000d6 backlash damage for a -5000 DC, while doing something like 2500 d6 of damage and dying while doing it.

Arravis

First Post
A +200 Spellcraft item? That seems unreasonable and I believe beyond the official rules (I haven't gotten to the item part of the ELH I'll admit though). Let's assume a +30 to Spellcraft from items, which is VERY powerful but doable. My point is that the "accessable" epic spells (ie. those that can be cast by a lvl 30 or below character) are pretty damn weak and not much better then 9th lvl spells. Not only that, they have MASSIVE penalties for what seems to be very little gain.

Arravis

First Post
Oh... and btw, the "easiest" way to avoid consequences from the Backlash damage is to simply cast Hide Life and just have a semi-low level healer standing nearby :). (or automaton with LOTS of healing potions, hehe).

drnuncheon

Explorer
Blacksad said:
Also I can see even worst in min/max if you have a cleric with true resurection, you could had 5000d6 backlash damage for a -5000 DC, while doing something like 2500 d6 of damage and dying while doing it.

You'd need to be a Wizard 2500 to do that - maximum dice of backlash is your HD x 2. Also note that death by backlash always costs you a level, even if you're brought back with true resurrection - in fact it coists you two levels if you're brought back with raise dead.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
As I mentioned earlier, I haven't seen the ELH. I was going off my knowledge of the 2e big-arse-magic rules, which Psion confirmed are rather similar. Thanks to Blacksad for confirming stuff like that is still possible.

As to what level you'll need to do something like that, I'm guessing quite a bit. Remember, though, that items that boost skills are pretty cheap compared to other items.

Again, I haven't seen the ELH, but for a 30th level character, it shouldn't be too hard to create a +30 or +40 to spellcraft item for just this sort of thing. If you're 30th level, you could have up to 33 ranks in spellcraft. Figure a modest INT bonus of +5. Maybe even Skill Focus. That gives us +30 +33 +5 +2 = +70, before you roll any dice. On the average, you're looking at +80.

I'm guessing you could still do some icky stuff with a DC 80 epic spell. And that's not even "hardcore" min/maxed. No Archmage or Loremaster or anything like that.

Can anybody with a book give us a DC 80 as a sample.

Arravis

First Post
I'm at work not at home, so I can't look it up :(.

Anyway, the DC 80 stuff is pretty damn weak to be honest and overall on-par with 7th-9th lvl spells. Fairly unimpressive. To me, DC 80 is feaking amazing. It shouldn't be something that is comporable to just that power.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Out of curiosity, is there an epic feat that boosts a skill, similar to Skill Focus? If so, can you take it multiple times for the same skill?

Remove ads