Escaping the Labyrinth - A combat oriented Adventure

Jemal

Adventurer
OK, Darius manages to escape. Normally I'd just wait till the update, but this is an... interesting... situation. You still have a move action left, are 5' underwater, and the thing has very long reach.. will you be attempting to use your move action (a 5' step using a swim check would allow you to surface without provoking an AoO) to escape? Unless you manage to surface this round without getting hit by an AoO (And the accompanying grapple check), there'll be constitution checks vs drowning coming up, and this thing looks like it fully intends to keep pulling you down and away from help so it can eat you.
[sblock]
Grapple check to maintain Darius (1d20+15=21)
[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
I will risk the AOO. I trust my AC and hope he tries to hit me first and not tries to grapple me only. Any chance to fly to the ceiling zhe same round I swim to the surface (one move through to different mediums)?

If not I will only 5 ft step to the surface, taking flight next round.

on a slightly related topic, you didn't anwered my question here:
http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=4223106&postcount=48

I haven't acted thus far, Can I change my hover feat into Draconic Aura: Swiftness?

You: Is there a feat to learn an extra aura?

The feat is on Dragon Magic p.16

Jemal

Adventurer
re: Effects of being underwater
It does seem a bit much to call it total cover. I'll opt for a 25% miss chance per 5' (meaning at 20' it'll be total concealment, unable to see it).

RE: Snake bite poison.
If it's not taking any damage from the attack I fail to see how the poison could get into it's veins. If it were listed as a contact poison I might agree so long as they hit the things touch AC, but Snake Venom tends to need to get into the blood stream.

Walking Dad

First Post
How would you define the DR? Cannot pierce the skin (sounds more like nat. armor) or instant regeneration/passing through?

Yes I try everything to save Darius ;)

Albedo

First Post
Jemal said:
RE: Snake bite poison.
If it's not taking any damage from the attack I fail to see how the poison could get into it's veins. If it were listed as a contact poison I might agree so long as they hit the things touch AC, but Snake Venom tends to need to get into the blood stream.

Well isn't that just fantastic. Now this little rules trip up has completly invalidated my actions this fight. YAY!!!!! I picked those snakes cause they have an on hit poison, not for the insignificant damage they deal. Guess my character will go take a nap then.

Jemal

Adventurer
I wouldn't call it a trip up... Snake poison being injury based is fairly common sense, and the DMG makes it clear that DR negating ALL the damage from something also negates effects based on damage (injury based poison/disease and a monk's stunning are the examples used on page 292).

I'd also like to point out that you had NO WAY of knowing these things had DR when you summoned the snakes, so why are you so pissed? Everybody's been beating it so I hadn't pointed it out yet, and even if you did go read their stat block the base creature doesn't have it, it's from a template I added.

If they didn't have DR, your snakes would've been perfect, it was a great choice. But they do. It's called learning & making mistakes you couldn't have foreseen. Everybody does it, but don't get angry at me about it.

Redclaw

First Post
Let me add that that's actually part of the fun, once the encounter is over. It's frustrating to have your best tactic fail, but if they worked all the time, where would the thrill of victory come from?

I would like to say that even though my character has yet to use his uber-cool two-weapon spring attack, rend and retreat build, I'm having fun here. Scared away from the ice devil, kept at distance by water, it's all making me try new approaches, rather than having Jemal just line up bad guys and let us do our thing at a monster firing range.

Remove ads