Extra Life Is Not Over - More Previews Still Coming If Thresholds Met

Although the 48-hour D&D game is over, Extra Life still continues -- and people can still pledge. WotC's Greg Bilsland dropped me a quick note to say "For folks wondering about the remaining Extra Life previews [of Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide] — we will still release them if we get to our thresholds. Extra Life is through end of the year, so the map may still be released digitally if we get to $100k.... We may still have a few other smaller events before end of year." The remaining items on the list included the Duergar race entry, including subrace traits, and a full, updated, high res, labeled map of the northwest portion of Faerün, from Amn to Icewind Dale, and the Moonshae Isles to the Dalelands.

Although the 48-hour D&D game is over, Extra Life still continues -- and people can still pledge. WotC's Greg Bilsland dropped me a quick note to say "For folks wondering about the remaining Extra Life previews [of Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide] — we will still release them if we get to our thresholds. Extra Life is through end of the year, so the map may still be released digitally if we get to $100k.... We may still have a few other smaller events before end of year." The remaining items on the list included the Duergar race entry, including subrace traits, and a full, updated, high res, labeled map of the northwest portion of Faerün, from Amn to Icewind Dale, and the Moonshae Isles to the Dalelands.

Here's where you can make your donation! Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide hits store shelves on November 3rd.

SCAG_Background_Carousel.jpg

This is the map I'm talking about: View attachment 70860
This map is fairly comprehensive though I don't think we will get all the descriptions considering the page count of the ToC.

From the quote from that article which I posted, there will be a map of "Northern Faerun" (which would apparently be the one in the article and linked by you, as it is labeled as such), as well as another map of "the Sword Coast and North region", which sounds very much like the one being mentioned in the potential preview.

ChapolimX

Explorer
From the quote from that article which I posted, there will be a map of "Northern Faerun" (which would apparently be the one in the article and linked by you, as it is labeled as such), as well as another map of "the Sword Coast and North region", which sounds very much like the one being mentioned in the potential preview.

Well. It can be as you say. My bet in the more comprehensive map is because of the wide range between the Moonshae Islands and the Dalelands. It also would be more satisfying for the Realms fans to have at least an complete updated map. We will have to wait anyway.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
So basically they won't release fairly essential stuff like a map of the setting unless people pay more money first. Classy.

It's a charity. For a FREE release of something in a book. You probably shouldn't be tossing around accusations about who is and is not classy after a comment like that.

discosoc

First Post
It's a charity. For a FREE release of something in a book. You probably shouldn't be tossing around accusations about who is and is not classy after a comment like that.

My point is, a digital copy of the map should be a given, considering how little setting support there's been with 5e. So far, most maps from the AP's -- which is about the closest we've had -- aren't available as a digital download (except as an additional purchase from the artist). Now maybe I'll stand corrected and they'll offer the map as a download as well, regardless of this Extra Life thing. But my experiences with WotC says they'll avoid anything digital and/or force you to purchase an overpriced copy directly from the artist.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So basically they won't release fairly essential stuff like a map of the setting unless people pay more money first. Classy.

Dude, they're raising money for a charity for sick children. Yes, that is indeed classy, and not in the sarcastic way you used it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well. It can be as you say. My bet in the more comprehensive map is because of the wide range between the Moonshae Islands and the Dalelands. It also would be more satisfying for the Realms fans to have at least an complete updated map. We will have to wait anyway.

There are two maps on question, the one that was in Dragon+ that marks broad regions, and a zoomed in one that might get released via ExtraLife that covers two of the regions marked: The North and The Heartlands, who h from the TOC are the areas getting detailed description in the text.

From their preview description, this map will have greater detail by far for those two regions, and the bigger map we have already seen might imply where future similar books would shift focus.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
So basically they won't release fairly essential stuff like a map of the setting unless people pay more money first. Classy. I normally wouldn't care about this, but since they seem hellbent on making everything set in Forgotten Realms, they really need to do some clarifying on what's going on with the world. The HotDQ map, for example, seems to be more inline with pre-spellplague, so I've found myself using the older 3rd edition map rather than the other stuff.

Dude its for sick kids! I think they are pretty classy for setting the whole thing up!

Mournblade94

Adventurer
I see your point and I agree with it.

It was just distasteful to use the sarcastic classy when they are offering incentives to donate more money to sick children. Full disclosure, I have not been able to donate, but I will when I can.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
My point is, a digital copy of the map should be a given, considering how little setting support there's been with 5e. So far, most maps from the AP's -- which is about the closest we've had -- aren't available as a digital download (except as an additional purchase from the artist). Now maybe I'll stand corrected and they'll offer the map as a download as well, regardless of this Extra Life thing. But my experiences with WotC says they'll avoid anything digital and/or force you to purchase an overpriced copy directly from the artist.

I see your point and I agree with it.

It was just distasteful to use the sarcastic classy when they are offering incentives to donate more money to sick children. Full disclosure, I have not been able to donate, but I will when I can.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...-Coming-If-Thresholds-Met/page2#ixzz3nnmOL4KJ

Remove ads

Remove ads