FADED GLORY: The Black Eyes of the Demon Scorpion (FINISHED!)

Ashy

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
It wasn't even off the first page! :eek:

Wish I had readers who would bump my SH up to the top when it was barely halfway down the first page...;)

Oh, and re-bump. :D

You and me both! :\ :heh: :uhoh:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Black Eyes of the Demon Scorpion, Pt. 2

Varus abruptly tasked the halfling with his newly-won door. “Can you open this?”

All of the Imperial Inspection Bureau were chosen for their unique talents; supposedly incorruptible, each reported directly to the Emperor, and had the power even to remove a commander of duty, if suspected of negligence. Now, Brandis was not a Halfling who stood on formality, but something about the way Varus ordered him about always grated at him. Varus was a good man, though impatient, and was put in charge of this mission because he and his legion was one of the best. The result was a tenuous relationship of Varus ordering about those who could remove him, and it showed in Varus’ impatience to lead to victory.

Brandis shook it off. “Yes, Centurion Varus.” He nodded, then regarded the door. The lock was child’s play – for one of his kind, that is. He opened the door, and pitch-black tunnels stretched before him. One tunnel, three branches, all promising death cheerfully, welcomed him. “I’ll investigate.”

Rashad the Turncoat stepped forward. “Take caution, half-man. There are many passageways ahead, and only one leads to the inner chambers. I’m afraid that past this point I know little – all my time was spent in these outer passages. But I was told of a trap erected by the Fire Witches ahead – be watchful. They are cunning.”

Vercinius and Antonis bristled at this. “Be aware we trust Brandis far more than you, Sythian,” Vercinius grumbled. Antonius’ hands spontaneously glowed with a blue nimbus, but calmed his magic. Brandis thanked the Sythian Warmaster, to diffuse the situation; most of the Inspectors did not trust this one, but Brandis also wouldn’t be hurt by exercizing a little care.

A feminine form moved to Brandis’ side. “I’ll accompany, Commander.” Myrwyn was suddenly beside him, always a comfort in a deadly situation. Though his Halfling sensibilities didn’t swing towards humans or even the half-elven Caeldyn, Myrwyn was a deadly mistress of the hunt, dedicated to Corelian, the elven aspect of Osirian, and was worth ten Legionnaires.

As Myrwyn and Brandis listened, they explored as best they could; the two rightmost passages dead-ended in a series of storerooms, and in more troops, more vigilant than the guards they overwhelmed. The left passage held promise – another shadowy door, metal-bound. When they reported back, Varus swiftly detailed a four-man squad at the guard post, and the twenty centurions and the others advanced towards the passageway containing the door, lead at a distance by Brandis and Myrwyn.

Brandis and Mwrwyn looked at one another and winced as they listened to the force of soldiers crashing along behind them. They were quiet enough for taken tunnels, but far too loud for the sensibilities of the two scouts. The wizards were quiet enough, even the big Boldric was relatively quiet, but Varus, the Legionnaires, and the poor Vercinius, clad like a tortoise, even got turned around at one point in the confusion of battle at the guard outpost a few minutes ago. He was a healer without question, but they questioned the wisdom of cladding him in armor and sending him into combat. He would be a hindrance, for sure.

And Boldric was… Boldric. The huge glaive-wielding barbarian warrior, no longer a slave by virtue of his combat skills, was a powerhouse in combat, and what his strikes lacked in finesse, they were made up in power. If he got enough room around him, and when his righteous wrath was hot, he was a terror, a scourge, to his enemies.

Brandis and Myrwyn approached the dark door. In the gloom of their lamps, they were surprised to see no guards; it was free and clear! Brandis smirked. Well, luck’s with us! Maybe the guards are on break?

It was only a second later when he noticed the floor doing something he didn’t like; it was moving.

Myrwyn was the second to notice.

“What’s that Clicking sound?”

Henry

Autoexreginated
No, not yet. :) I did find that Story Hour fatigue isn't an issue when you've already written 90% of the story before you post it. ;)

How'm I doin' so far?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I'm liking it so far. . . I find short installments is the way to go at first to let people get used to the setting and characters - but then they should get longer b/c once readers are that far into it they desire more more more. . . :cool:

Riggs

First Post
and the poor Vercinius, clad like a tortoise, even got turned around at one point in the confusion of battle at the guard outpost a few minutes ago. He was a healer without question, but they questioned the wisdom of cladding him in armor and sending him into combat. He would be a hindrance, for sure.

D'oh! I thought I had escaped this retelling after the last post! :lol: I rolled the first 1 of many of us!!!

;)

Nice write-up, Henry

Hi there Henry, I'm really enjoying this as so far.

First off, it's refreshing to read your writing style - the bared down actions (for example - the first combat was really well handled. The sense of pace made the characters a force to be reckoned with) are great.

Oh, and I like your use of exposition in mid-sentence. Once again, very well handled.

This is firmly on my to-follow list. Looking for next update!

Spider.

Old One

First Post
Riggs said:
D'oh! I thought I had escaped this retelling after the last post! :lol: I rolled the first 1 of many of us!!!

;)

Nice write-up, Henry

Hah!

I don't think Henry missed much...least of all the enormous number of "1s" rolled by all parties :p! I have said it before and I stick by it...I exude a "Zone of Bad Dice Rolling, 10' radius" :].

~ OO

Remove ads