FADED GLORY: The Black Eyes of the Demon Scorpion (FINISHED!)

Old One

First Post
Henry said:
Just for the sheer "what the heck" value, I wonder if anyone outside of the players at Game Day want to guess what happens next?

Brandis eventually comes to a room decorated with SPOILER that SPOILER. The heroes get past it by casting SPOILER and SPOILERing as if their lives depended on it.

Meanwhile, the Sythian Fire Witches are SPOILER into a beautifiul SPOILER and if the heroes don't stop them from SPOILERing the SPOILER, then all is lost.

:)

Oh...oh...pick me...I know, I know...pick me!

Great update, Henry! Can I interest you in writing the rest of my SH?

~ OO

Old One

First Post
el-remmen said:
I love swarms of vermin! w00t!

Vermin swarms are my new favorite critters ;)! Beat on 'em all day long and it doesn't hurt 'em...gotta bring the fire, ice or smoke (or just run away). The scorpions are particularly nasty, since they can do damage (2d6 base), have poison (DEX), can distract and have "put a hurtin' on ya" rend ability if they successfully distract a target that does 4d6 automatically.

~ OO

Henry

Autoexreginated
Black Eyes of the Demon Scorpion, Pt. 4

Brandis picked the second door with ease. Beyond was something the invaders were definitely not prepared for.

A marble-tiled room, some 30 feet wide, stretched back into darkness beyond his lamp. Two massive pillars, about 15 feet in, supported the ceiling, but what struck Brandis’ eye was that these two columns glittered with gems; rubies, to be specific.

Varus’s voice, requesting a status report from the previous room, snapped him back into the here and now. Success now, gems later. Brandis strained with his lamp to note details on the far side of the hall, and fairly skipped into the middle of the room when he caught a similar glint from two additional glittering columns on the far side, as well as another, larger, iron door. His keen eye, however, brought him to a screeching halt.

Say, what are those black circular stains on the tiles?...

Gems from the two near columns flickered to life, and Brandis moved faster than a branded calf as a streak of light bloomed into a roiling fireball, incinerating where he stood less than a second prior. Brandis was almost back to the door by the time he slowed down. No more fireblasts --

No more fireblasts?

“Don’t go near the pillars!” Brandis cried as the rest of the group stormed in, seeking the source of commotion. Vercinius and Antonius strode forth to examine as Brandis filled them in.

“Magical trap,” both agreed. Antonius admitted he had no capability to diffuse magical traps. Vercinius offered, “I might be able to temporarily dispel ONE of these things. But FOUR…” he trailed off. There was no way.

Antonius regarded Rashad the Turncoat. “Was this your Fire Witch’s trap, Sythian?”

Rashad countered, “As I told you, I do not know. But it would seem true.”

Brandis chimed in, pointing out a few facts. “Look here -- see all those black marks? Not only has this thing been here, frying the incautious for a long time, but the black marks are all the way from north to south – meaning they guard the whole width of the room, not just between the pillars.”

“Why aren’t we ash?” Varus asked irritatedly.

“They stop right at the pillars. As long as we’re over here, or on the far sides, next to the doors, we’re safe. And note all these dull, cracked gems? These things seem to burn out as they are used. They’re not infinite, but I don’t fancy my chances trying to burn through the ten THOUSAND gems on each of these pillars!”

“Pry them out?” Varus asked.

“No good,” Brandis replied sullenly. “They’re almost certain to be trapped to explode from that, too.”

“We need more information,” said Vercinius.

Brandis warned them, and tossed a pebble into the center with the pillars. No reaction came.

Varus grumbled, “We WASTE TIME. Our troops falter in the Demon Wastes. We need a way past. War Wizards!” He commanded, totally ignoring Antonius. “Have you any fire protections?”

One timid wizard, named Junius, spoke. “Yes, sir! It is a small charm, but somewhat effective.” He offered an almost apologetic side glance at Antonius, who fixed him with a stare. Antonius was known as a competent wizard, but he was known even more for exacting cold revenge on those who showed him up at magic, or who treated him as an inferior. What this boded for Junius or Varus, the younger war wizard was afraid to think about beyond the here and now.

Varus grunted satisfaction. “We need a volunteer.” Legionnaires silently swallowed.

Straws were drawn, and a legionnaire was ordered forward.

Last edited:

Old One

First Post
Woot!

Two Faded Glory updates in one day...now we just need Rel to get off of his duff and we will have a hat trick ;)!

Good update, Henry...hooray!

~ OO

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Old One said:
Woot!

Two Faded Glory updates in one day...now we just need Rel to get off of his duff and we will have a hat trick ;)!

Good update, Henry...hooray!

~ OO

I'm afraid that isn't going to happen. I got "babied out" today (though technically I guess she isn't a baby anymore). Samantha the Red would not take a nap this afternoon and that equalled no time for daddy to do any writing. So you'll have to be content with 2 out of three Faded Glory Story Hours updated. Still not bad...

Henry

Autoexreginated
This part was fun to write, because it reminded me just how much we really had not yet tested the magic system. When I realized I had totally forgotten I had ALL types of Wards available, Old One gave me a gentle reminder in the form of Varus and Junius. I had TONS of time to prepare the thing, and make it more efficient, and smugly figured that 11 points of fire resistance would be enough for our crew if the one grunt got through with Junius' measly ward.

To put it mildly... it still hurt a bit. :)

Black Eyes of the Demon Scorpion, Part 5

All was ready. Junius the war wizard completed his enchantment, and a wreath of gold flame spilled from his hand to wash over the Legionnaire. The man, with palpable fear in his eyes, stood at attention and waited for orders. Varus had some for him.

“Advance to the other side of the room as fast as possible, avoiding all obstacles. GO!”

With a short cry for the Empire, he charged. The closest pillar twinkled, a fireball EXPLODED, and the Legionnaire charged full-tilt. When the flash cleared, they looked – and found him on the other side, burned slightly, but in somewhat disbelief that he was alive.

Brandis gestured zealously. “Did you see that! Only one fired at a time! If we all charged, at most only four blasts would occur!”

Varus smiled. “Can you do that for us all?”

Junius replied, “I am nearly spent, sir.”

Antonius chimed in. “Centurion Varus, I too have an enchantment that will work, AND it can cover all of us. However, it is, as Junius said, taxing. We must have utmost timing if it is to work.”

Varus smiled. “You’ll have it, by Osirian! MEN! Fall forward! Circle the Wizard! All ready for charge!” Vercinius and the others of the command staff bristled. They trusted their wizard’s arcane arts, but the question is, did they trust him THAT much?

Antonius began his chant. He placed every syllable, calling on the wards of Seluna the Silver Lady to envelop them, forcing as much into his petition as he dared, weaving the threads of the world into a silver sheen that spread from him, flowed and covered all. When he was done, the company had sworn the temperature had dropped. The last sparkles of dweomer had not even faded when Varus tensed to give the order.

And they CHARGED. Some thirty soldiers, Legionnaires, wizards, gladiators, scouts (and one Halfling) stampeded forward like a herd, moving as fast as posteriors and elbows would carry them. Time seemed to stop for them, almost as if the universe was deciding what should be done.

Then it came – spectacular fireblasts rained fire, light, and death to all.

The light subsided, the glow faded. All was dark save one or two broken lamps and sputters of fireballs from the tiled floor. All that was heard were gasps and cries of the wounded. The enchantment HELD! It had held – but was not enough.

Seven Legionnaires lay twitching and dying in the killing field. One war wizard, the very Junius himself, also lay in the pile of bodies. Brief prayers for their souls were said by Vercinius, who quickly took to patching the wounded. Antonius stared in disbelief. Inwardly, he panicked, just a little. He had put as much into his ward as possible, but still it wasn’t enough! This was not good. They were counting on his skill to take them through, and here he was, tired and half spent.

He inhaled, held his breath, calmed himself. He had to steel himself, do better, and protect the remaining wizards, or they were all going to be very, very dead. For good or ill fortune, his fate was decided here. He could live and triumph over this – or they could all die.

The rest of the group quietly rejoiced. The majority had made it through alive, and that was what mattered. However, they knew that even worse lay ahead. Antonius and Vercinius confirmed it when their Arcane senses detected an aura of terrible power, just beyond the next door. For good or ill fortunes, their die was about to be cast…

Old One

First Post
It was fun watching the players try to figure this one out...

They debated long and hard about loading one person up with protectives - someone who might avoid the worst of the fireballs due to quickness and dexterity (cue up Brandis) - to trip all the pillars and then have the rest follow while the pillars reset. Or whether to extend a protetive ward out to cover the entire group.

Their final plan worked pretty well - although I rolled some horrible saving throws for one group of legionnaires and poor Junius.

Would their alternate plan have worked? Only the Shadow knows :p!

~ OO

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I'm still lovin' this. It's my first experience getting to read a Story Hour from the perspective of having been a player instead of writing my own as GM. I really enjoy getting to read events that I participated in from a different point of view.

You're doing a great job, Henry. If I'd known that your skills at writing were so good I'd have pressed you for an Eberron Story Hour. You got off easy. ;)

By the way, in completely unrelated news, you left your little beanbag/travel pillow when you stayed here. My wife's been bugging me to tell you that. If necessary I can ship it to you or you can just grab it at the next Game Day in September. In the meantime I'll try to keep it safe from the depridations of Samantha the Red.

Remove ads