• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Final playtest packet due in mid September.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
From tweeter:

“@criticalhits: Surveys report increasing satisfaction with rules. Final public playtest in mid-September. Work on game not done, but enough public feedback”

No launch date announced for D&DNext yet, anyone know if there are any schedule events that might be the place where WotC give more info at Gen Con?

Warder

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Wow. I feel a bit stunned. I did not have the impression things were this far along yet....maybe those internal playtests are really different/advanced?

Blackwarder

Adventurer
As far as I understand it, it seems like the days of public feedback will be over after the finall surveys of the next packet but the development team hasn't finished the game yet and will continue working on it for some time, who knows, we might actually get something for Christmas (though I highly doubt it).

Warder

Derren

Hero
They probably have decided that they have put up enough of a show and that additional playtest packages won't do much good for marketing as people are focusing more and more on things they don't like in the packages spreading negative word of mouth around the community.

Pseudopsyche

First Post
I agree—with both others on this thread and with WotC—that the game doesn't feel finished yet. But it sounds like they were seeking our feedback on the direction they're going, not our stamp of approval on a finished product. Seems reasonable to me.

JeffB

Legend
I posted in some other thread awhile back that I had the feeling the playtest was pretty much done. That week Mike was still at work but in meetings and not putting up articles...and then the steady stream of articles from him, james, and Jon that had changed tone from "this is what we are thinking" to "this is what we are doing".

Rhenny

Adventurer
I'm ok with it. I'm almost exhausted. I do a lot of posting on WoTC boards, and each playtest package seems to rub someone the wrong way. Lots of nasty comments. It will be nice to have some peace. I think WotC needs to finish it in private now and then surprise everyone when it is released. I'm hoping they can use the data they've collected to really make the game work.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I think this is a terrible idea. They're making so many enormous changes and additions in the next packet, from the math fixes, the new skill system, multiclassing, saving throws, spell save DCs, etc., how can they possibly think it would be a good idea to wrap this up now? They should see how people react to all of those changes in the next packet before deciding anything.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe they just need some time to write an entirely different actually good game.

You know, there's a whole lot of threads out there about the game. If you want to give some constructive feedback in them, great. Turning this into an occasion to bash the game is inappropriate.

Keep it classy, keep it constructive, and keep it on topic. Thanks, all!

Remove ads