• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Final playtest packet due in mid September.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think this is a terrible idea. They're making so many enormous changes and additions in the next packet, from the math fixes, the new skill system, multiclassing, saving throws, spell save DCs, etc., how can they possibly think it would be a good idea to wrap this up now? They should see how people react to all of those changes in the next packet before deciding anything.

They aren't wrapping anything up. They are delivering one final public packet for us to test, and presumably to fill out the surveys for just like always. No different than any previous packet. Only difference is that there won't be another packet after that.

Wulfgar76

First Post
Fine by me.

Right now the game contained in the stack of photocopied Next playtest PDFs sitting in my binder is already leagues better than my 3rd and 4th edition books sitting on the shelf next to them.

I do hope to see rough edges polished, and irritating burrs ground off, but D&D Next is already providing me and my group with the best tabletop gaming experience we've had in a long time.

That said, I certainly don't want a rushed unfinished game, and I'm slightly nervous about the Monster Manual and DMG. I wish we would have gotten more material from those books to chew on.

Iosue

Legend
Makes sense to me. The ultimate goal for WotC for 5e was to design an edition where DMs could choose their level of rule-complexity, and players could change their level of character-customizability. The point of the public playtest was to see how well they were implementing that. It was never about having the entire game tested and signed off on by the public playtesters before release. 150,000 people (at least) is far too unwieldy for that level of feedback.

Now they have a core game with some dials, switches, and modules to create a level of customizability and complexity that each DM and player want. Next they can release the mutli-classing rules and new skill system and let the public playtesters fiddle with that, and find the big points of imbalance there. It means the end of the big changes, so public playtesters can devote themselves to really working the system.

Wrapping up the public-playtest doesn't they're done with design or with further playtesting. It just means the things they are working on, and the time frame they want to complete them in, are less fit for a huge public playtest.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
They aren't wrapping anything up. They are delivering one final public packet for us to test, and presumably to fill out the surveys for just like always. No different than any previous packet. Only difference is that there won't be another packet after that.

I know. It means that if we don't like what they've done to the system in the next packet, we won't ever have an opportunity to comment on whatever changes they make as a result.

Timing supports a GenCon 2014 release:

- Release final packet in Sep 13
- Collect and incorporate final feedback by Dec 13
- Package and complete core book flavor text by Mar 14
- Layout, edit and release books to printers in April for August public release

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I know. It means that if we don't like what they've done to the system in the next packet, we won't ever have an opportunity to comment on whatever changes they make as a result.

Yes, but the time to comment does have to end at some point, right? Let us not forget that we've already collectively had more opportunity to comment on this than on pretty much any other game design process ever.

Huh.
That's, well, stupid.

It means the playtest was never actually a playtest but a concept test. We're not testing mechanics to fine tune them and look for problems. That's a mistake.
And the modules certainly need to be tested. They should move to having us test those until launch (and after).

I understand the reasoning. WotC doesn't want to give away the game for free. Because people won't pay for something they can get for free.
Except... they totally will.
If the quality is good and people want to support the product they will throw money at it. If you make paying for the core rules optional you can also get more people into the game as the buy-in to start playing is low.

Warbringer

Explorer
Interesting ...

So I guess that means we will see:

Multiclassing
Bard
Warlock/sorcerer
Tiefling/Dragonborn
Traits/Bonds/Flaws
New skill economy/DC economy
Maybe ... Another tradition/diety/path/way

But ... No alternative systems (not pertinent to playtest ... Meaning no "advanced rules")

Should be a good packet

Serendipity

Explorer
I agree that the play test has largely run it's course in that it (the play test) has gone on long enough for those involved to be decided on whether or not they are interested in making the actual purchase when it comes out. Carrying on the playtest any longer seems more likely to erode the numbers so interested.
But then I've always rather regarded the open play test as more a marketing thing than anything else.

keterys

First Post
I'd really like to see an updated monster packet. I'm less worried about seeing some of their more experimental material, but I just don't feel like we've ever seen anything resembling the final set of foes we should be throwing the PCs up against.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads