• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Final playtest packet due in mid September.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I am happy to hear this. Things will roll internally in the next months and eventually release, which i really look forward to.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
I posted in some other thread awhile back that I had the feeling the playtest was pretty much done. That week Mike was still at work but in meetings and not putting up articles...and then the steady stream of articles from him, james, and Jon that had changed tone from "this is what we are thinking" to "this is what we are doing".

I think your right, the whole tone changed, I think he was given some kind of deadline, plus the surveys probably really are mostly positive.

So he's got to speed up and now that he's got the thumbs up from the general public on the direction of the playtest, he can focus on data gained from internal playtesting which is faster and more controlled, which is more ideal for stuff like fixing the math, touching stuff up, and finishing things up.

Between internal playtesting, external playtesting, surveys, blogs, forums, tweets, polls, the 4e character builder and so on they literially have tons and tons of data.

And even if the Sepetember packet is the last packet, that doesn't mean that they can't put out polls and surveys on any additional questions they have.

I do also agree about the 2014 gencon date, but I'll add that they'll want the new FR setting materials to come out soon after that, so they need the rules done soon enough that the FR team can get to work building the campaign setting guide and a 5e fr player's guide, especially since they'll need it, because the Sundering will be over by April 2014 and Authors will need a guide to this new verison of FR.

I'll add that this is ifonic as this is the point were they start taking public feedback on 5e FR, they even have an app of sorts for it. We'll hopefully have a better idea about that after the seminiar this Saturday at Gencon (hopefully people will tweet and or record it for those of us who can not attend).

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Yes, but the time to comment does have to end at some point, right? Let us not forget that we've already collectively had more opportunity to comment on this than on pretty much any other game design process ever.

Of course it has to end at some point. I just think it isn't a good idea to end it when there are still such major changes happening, and still no Bard, Sorcerer or Warlock to test. What are the odds that they'll get all of that right on the first try?

Stalker0

Legend
Basically it means we have about a month and a half likely with this one, and then another packet to give feedback on for another month or so. That is still a lot of time to give feedback.

My biggest thing is multiclassing. That to me is the best area for a public playtest...so you can see what crazy hokey combos people come up with. So as long as we get a chance to get that vetted i'm alright.

Raith5

Adventurer
Part glad to see the end of this playtest, part confused as to where the game is at. I see modularity done quite well in terms of PC design in DDN, but still not sure how modularity is going to/could work in actual gameplay - in terms of supporting different playstyles.

Paraxis

Explorer
If the finished product is anything like the current playtest this will be the biggest flop for WoTC since Gleemax. I do hope they go back to the drawing board, the only decent thing from them so far has been advantage/disadvantage and skill dice. The math is all wonky and needs to be hammered out, no tactical play rules have been tested, ect...

They need atleast another year of work on this thing not to rush it out the door.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
It makes sense, from a timing perspective. The game, with the current packet, is nearly everything I want out of D&D.

What I do hope, though, is that they continue to release some modules for testing and feedback. In particular, we still haven't seen the long promised but still missing tactical module. Though perhaps much of that got subsumed by the subclasses.

Also, it would be a good idea if they have a final beta before going to print.

variant

Adventurer
Excellent, I can't wait to have the 5e books sitting on my shelves. The game right now is far better than any previous edition I've played and it will definitely be replacing 3e for me.

Lord Blackstone

First Post
Excellent, I can't wait to have the 5e books sitting on my shelves. The game right now is far better than any previous edition I've played and it will definitely be replacing 3e for me.

Agreed. QFT.

I see a lot of potential for growth with this system. The "Lore" system is a bit meh, but the game is headed for something solid and easy to learn and teach.

My personal favorite part at this point on how races are being handled. It just presses the right buttons for me.

Remove ads