• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FULL ** "Adventures of....." ** Renamed Brisco County Jr western thread

LiquidAtom

First Post
Does anybody here play d20 westerns?

I'm thinking about running a campaign loosley based on the Adventures of Brisco County Jr series. I love that show. I may have a couple of people intersted in playing. Is there anyone else who would be interested in a pulp western rpg?

Which d20 western book would be more suited for this do you think? OGL western, Sidewinder, or Deadlands? I'm thinking Deadlands, since Bruce did the introduction for the original DL.

Here are the links to the Gunslinger Gallery and In Character thread.

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
I've never watched the Brisco show, but I'm always up for a western game. I vote Sidewinder for the rules, it's working great in my campaign.

taitzu52

First Post
Yay Bruce Campbell!! Well, I'm interested in taking a look. I have NO idea about the rules that y'all are referring to though. Clue me in, and I'll let ya know!

TZ

Bobitron

Explorer
taitzu52 said:
I have NO idea about the rules that y'all are referring to though.

Howdy, pardner!

The rules I mentioned are Sidewinder: Recoiled, by Dog House Rules. It's an awesome ruleset based off of D20 Modern. I highly recommend it. RPG Now has the PDF on sale right now for 1/2 price, $8.25 (!!!) for what I consider the best D20 product I have purchased since the Eberron book. 300 pages of great googley moogley goodness!

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=2477&

JimAde

First Post
Brisco County rocked. I was so bummed that it didn't stay on longer.

Anyway, a friend of mine ran a Brisco-flavored Western game (in GURPS) and it was big fun. So, to answer your title question, Yes I'd be interested. :)

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong Bobitron) Sidewinder is straight-up Western, while Deadlands has magic and weirdness built in. But since Sidewinder is built off d20 Modern, it should be easy to plug in any FX you want, right?

LiquidAtom

First Post
taitzu52 said:
Yay Bruce Campbell!!

Yep he's a bad@$$ actor. My fave. of all time.

JimAde said:
Brisco County rocked. I was so bummed that it didn't stay on longer.

Me too, I bought all 27 episodes off of Ebay. A really great, underwatched show. It's more awesome now than when it was originally out. I think that was why it was cancelled, it was ahead of it's time. Bobitron, if you have never watched the show I encourage you to pick it up from ebay. It's the only way you will find it on DVD. It was only released on VHS, back in 93-94. Good times. As for Sidewinder, I've heard good things about it, but have never played it bfore. I may check it out later though if everyone is leaning that way

JimAde said:
As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong Bobitron) Sidewinder is straight-up Western, while Deadlands has magic and weirdness built in. But since Sidewinder is built off d20 Modern, it should be easy to plug in any FX you want, right?

Yeah Deadlands has alot of magic from Huckters to the Blessed to Indian Shamans. Plenty of weirdness too. Harrowed, the manitou possessed ubdead. Hanging Judges with pistols that never run empty. Mad scientists making all sorts of stuff. Very Brisco-ish if you will. It's d20 now too. I have the core book plus Ways of the Gun, Huckster, and Mad Science and Horrors of the Weird West for d20, and some other stuff for the 1st ed.

LiquidAtom

First Post
So who all has the Deadlands setting books and who all has the Sidewinder book? Either setting will be ok with me. If it's in Deadlands it'll be toned down so as there is not quite very much magic stuff probably no Hucksters or Blessed or Shaman PCs. Horrors will be few and far between. If it's in Sidewinder I'll just throw in the needed stuff.

The characters will probably be 2nd level with somewhat of a reputation. I will most likely use the 86 point system. Nothing above 18 nothing below 10. Max hitpoints.

If you want to play let me know and I'll start a thread in the Rogues Gallery.

Bobitron

Explorer
LiquidAtom said:
So who all has the Deadlands setting books and who all has the Sidewinder book?

I have to confess, I'm only interested in playing if we can use Sidewinder. I don't have the $ to buy a new book right now, and I don't feel it's fair to play if I don't have the rules. If it's Sidewinder, I'm in; if not, I leave it open for someone else, and I will watch the game with glee.

Vendetta

First Post
I've been wanting to buy the sidewinder game for a while now. The only reason I didn't is I know no one who wants to play western styled RPGs. (I finally got my game group into Superheroes). So if the game goes with the sidewinder rules, I'd love to join and have the excuse to buy it.

Remove ads